Setting Up A Dummy Router?

rjupiter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:05    Post subject: Setting Up A Dummy Router? Reply with quote
hi -

bit of an odd question and not sure it is possible but i need to just have access to my NAS (which for a reason cannot be attached to the main/primary router) is there a way to have a "dummy" router for this? I have tried setting mine in repeater bridge but is cuts my speed to less then half, have a 60 Mbps and with RB i get less then 10Mbps, so it is too slow.

so is this possible? just have it hooked to my NAS and then to my PC via Ethernet to access it without it having internet?
Sponsor
MongooseProXC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
As far as the internal network goes, it should work the same with or without internet. Configure it as you would any router, just don't plug anything into the WAN port.
rjupiter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
ah, okay but would i still be or should i still be able to access both the dummy router and the main one at the same time? or would i have to switch between them?

right now i can access the dummy and my NAS through Ethernet as long as my wireless adapter is not on, if i turn it on and share the connection (windows) i can access the internet but not the NAS.

is there a way to do both?
notorious.dds
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, you should be able to do so. The question becomes "why can't the NAS be connected to the main router?"

The answer to that question will lead us to the proper solution.

** EDIT **

I just found the answer reading an earlier post of yours... looks like you're trying to block access to the NAS from other users on your network.

Assuming you can't just configure security on the NAS, I'd set up the second router as a subnet and control access to the subnet using the firewall on the subnetted router.

See this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Subnets_with_Static_Routes
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
You only need to create a separate sub-net for your nas on the main router. Access between the sub-nets can be controlled by iptables.

http://www.coertvonk.com/technology/networking/dd-wrt-leading-two-seperate-networks-5829
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: