Netgear R7000: ADSL Modem & WAN Port Speed Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
TCB13
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:13    Post subject: Netgear R7000: ADSL Modem & WAN Port Speed Issue Reply with quote
Hello, I'm the owner of a Netgear R7000 and I'm running the following firmware:

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/24/14) kongac
(SVN revision 24710M)

The router and the firmware work great, except for a small detail related to the WAN por speed.
I noticed some days ago, that my internet was only woking at 5Mbps, so I decided to investigate this and I concluded the problem is kinda related to my ADSL modem (Netgear DM111P v2).

The modem is currently working in bridge mode and my router is getting an IP via automatic configuration with DHCP (the ISP does no require any authentication).

If I connect the modem directly to my computer I get also about 5 Mbps of download speed. However if I set my computer to force the ethernet into 100Mbps half-duplex. I get up to 19Mbps.

I tried to change the port speed at Setup > VLANs with:

Auto-Negotiate: Off
Gigabit: Off
Full Speed: On
Full Duplex: Off
Enabled: On

However after a power cycle on both devices I can't get any more than 5 Mbps.

Why is this happening? Why does my computer is able to force the port into 100Mbps half-duplex and everything works fine and at the router seems like its still working at a lower speed?

Is there a way I can check the REAL speed of the WAN port over SSH?

Thank you.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
This smells of ethernet cable problem, half duplex uses the same pair in the cable for both rx and tx while full duplex uses one pair for rx and another pair for tx.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
This smells of ethernet cable problem, half duplex uses the same pair in the cable for both rx and tx while full duplex uses one pair for rx and another pair for tx.

Well... The cable I'm using on the router => modem is different from the cable using at computer => modem and the issue is the same in both cables.

Also, none of that possible explains why my computer is able to force the modem into the right mode but not the router...

Seems like when the modem is connected to the router it works at 10Mbps only (not sure...). The only think I know is that on the computer if I force 100Mbps in half duplex I get 19Mbps.
TCB13
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
So... I did a factory reset to the DM111P modem and the problem seems to be fixed.

This was very annoying.
TCB13
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
TCB13 wrote:
So... I did a factory reset to the DM111P modem and the problem seems to be fixed.

This was very annoying.

The issue is back after some hours, I know this is completely related to DD-WRT however by some reason DD-WRT is unable to force the port speed?

What can I do about this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: