WDS doen't work as expected

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
sidorvm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 15:45    Post subject: WDS doen't work as expected Reply with quote
Hi All

I have two Buffalo routers WHN-G301N and WZR-300HP. Both running dd-wrt firmware r24461 and r21061 respectively.

WHN-G301N(host) is configured as WDS AP and WZR-300HP(client) configured as WDS station.

Both routers located in different rooms.

SSID is "Buffalo-Network-DDWRT". I can connect to this network from any of my devices, but the problem is that my iPhone getting connecting to host only. Even if I am in the second room, right near WZR-300HP, where signal from WHN-G301N is very weak, iPhone not switching to the router with stronger signal.

I probably misunderstanding something. May be WDS here is just to link two routers and to have two them broadcast same wireless network I need to setup virtual wireless network with new SSID same on both routers?
Sponsor
Meanybucket
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use the settings from jeffj in this thread: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=167790 My iPhone will switch to the nearest router. I believe these settings are still current, but haven't looked for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haven't you got any other device than you iPhone to test it? The behaviour reall should be, that the device connects to the router (WDS AP or WDS Station) with the strongest signal. Have you got MAC-filtering activated on the WDS AP so that your iPhone isn't allowed so establish a connection with it?
uberT
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 16:32    Post subject: Buffalo video on U Tube Reply with quote
I've used this configuration strategy and found the throughput and performance to be quite good:

http://youtu.be/e17wng2Mt8k

Linksys E4200 (stock FW)
sidorvm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
mittelhessen wrote:
Haven't you got any other device than you iPhone to test it? The behaviour reall should be, that the device connects to the router (WDS AP or WDS Station) with the strongest signal. Have you got MAC-filtering activated on the WDS AP so that your iPhone isn't allowed so establish a connection with it?

I tried same with iPad, with Note PC but nothing work.
MAC filtering is disabled.
sidorvm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:47    Post subject: Re: Buffalo video on U Tube Reply with quote
uberT wrote:
I've used this configuration strategy and found the throughput and performance to be quite good:

http://youtu.be/e17wng2Mt8k

Yeah, I saw this video before. So apart from WDS AP and WDS station I need to add virtual wireless interface with the same name on each router and which will become my main wireless network.
What I have now is just a bridge between routers....

Thanks
sidorvm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Configured virtual wireless interface in AP mode and now everything works like a charm Very Happy
Thanks everyone!
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Repeater Bridge (Broadcom) or Client Bridge (routed) (Atheros) is not the same as WDS. WDS is fully transparent but Repeater/Client Bridge will me much more compatible (at least between different chipset).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: