Trendnet TEW812DRU Temperature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Smokezz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 0:01    Post subject: Trendnet TEW812DRU Temperature Reply with quote
Hey all,

Just wondering what the normal temperature is for this router, and if the CPU temperature is actually accurate for the router. Seems extremely high:

CPU Model ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
CPU Cores 2
CPU Clock 600 MHz
Load Average 4% 0.10, 0.09, 0.06
CPU Temperature CPU 86.9 °C / WL0 49.50 °C / WL1 52.50 °C

As you can see, I even set the clock speed lower, to 600MHz to try and get the temperature down but it made no difference whatsoever. It was the same temperature at 800MHz. The vents on the router aren't covered, there isn't any dust in the router (already took some compressed air to the router).

When streaming things, I occasionally lose the wifi connection and the machine has to reconnect. Wondering if it's related to overheating.
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Having done googling online and found that TEW-812DRU doesn't use a conventional heat sink like other similar models. What it use is a more cost effective approach by directing the heat to the PCB and use the circuit's copper plates to dissipate the heat. Whether this will cause an overheat issue? I don't know. However you can do a test to verify it. First of all, feel which side of the unit is warmer. If it is not warm at all, then I doubt it has an overheat issue. Once you find the side which is warmer, use a fan to blow at it to cool it down for at least a few minutes and check if it can bring down the temperature. At the same time, see if it stabilize the router. If you still see the disconnect problem, then the problem may be related to others and not the temperature. Make sense? Btw, don't underclock the CPU, reset it back to 800MHz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: