Feature Request: Make Virtual Interfaces Secure By Default

Nafod
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:12    Post subject: Feature Request: Make Virtual Interfaces Secure By Default Reply with quote
I'd like to suggest a new feature related to the way that Virtual Interfaces are managed within the dd-wrt Web GUI.

Specifically, I'd like to suggest that when a new virtual interface is added via the "Add" button, it will automatically inherit the security settings of the interface it is aliasing.

For example, if I have a network with SSID "Linux" using WPA2 PSK + AES and I add a virtual interface called "Linux-Guest", the new network, "Linux-Guest", should automatically use WPA2 PSK + AES with the same pre-shared key as the "Linux" network.

Background on this request:

I'm new to dd-wrt. Shortly after setting up the router and while playing around with the settings one night, I added a guest network virtual interface. I assumed at the time that it would inherit the same security settings as my main network, and then I then promptly forgot about this tweak (it was late). About two months later, I realized I had been accidentally giving my neighbors free wifi because the guest network was not secured by default. This is an easier mistake than you might think, since in an apartment community there are literally dozens of 2.4Ghz networks, so I mostly tune the others out.

I have a background in C/C++, Bash, and Linux systems administration, so I would be willing to help out with the development of this feature if someone can point me in the right direction and approve of the work.

Hope I posted in the right place.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: