How to run DD-WRT in ESXi

j911
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 14:38    Post subject: How to run DD-WRT in ESXi Reply with quote
I wrote this overview to help others to install dd-wrt in virtualised environment and hopefully to consolidate info on what hardware /pcie cards work under esxi etc.

1) Download starwind V2V converter. Or alternately use physdiskgui method (google it)

2) Download dd-wrt 06-08-12-r19342 as this build does not have vga issues on console output. (public or pro with vga. smp or not depends on your own needs.)

3)Rename .image extension to .img and run starwind converter to convert to vmdk for esxi.

4)Create a new standard vswitch in Esxi and call it Lan or something.) If you have two or more physical nics add them to this vswitch.

5) Leave atleast one physical nic on existing vswitch, this will be used for connection to dsl/cable modem.

6)Create a shell for ddwrt VM, call it whatever you want. Do not assign a new hdd. upload the existing vmdk that you converted earlier to the datatore and select it.

7)Now add one nic of type intel e1000 to Internet vswitch and another of intel e1000 to Lan vswitch.

8)Change the mac address of both nics to manual and assign your own mac id for both nics. This is to avoid repeated activations when mac addresses change due to vmotion etc.

9) You can use an atheros based pcie wifi card. e.g. TLW818ND works when passed through. However TL4800ND does passthrough for me but my host freezes when powering on the VM.

10) Power on the VM, check your existing router for the mac you assigned to nic 1 ddwrt VM. Try connecting to it.

11)Configure the router lan subnet to 192.168.0.X and change router ip to 192.168.0.1. If 192.168.1X is already in use by existing network.

11) Assign another vm on the lan switch port and check internet connectivity.

12) once you have fully configured everything on dd-wrt, set the VM to autoboot in esxi as 1st device.

13) You can upgrade to newer builds within dd-wrt but it will suffer from vga console corruption issues on boot. However http works fine. Its worth taking a snapshot/config backup before upgrading. You will have to power down the VM if using passthrough for snapshots,

So far for me:

Working:

LAN:
Intel Pro 1000 PT Quad Port Gigabit. (It wil disable passthrough if used on any slot under southbridge)

WIFI:

TL-WN881ND works (AR9287) can be passed through and is detected by DD-WRT (Super Channel too)

Not Working on GA-970A-UD3 (AMD 970 chipset):

Wifi:

TL-WDN4800 (Atheros AR9380 dual band) can be passed through but host freezes when powering on VM

Asus PCE-AC66 1300Mbps Wireless PCI-E Network Interface Card (BCM4360)
Vendor ID: 14E4 Device ID: 43A0

This not recognised by DD-WRT.

Needs support from devs to load driver for it.

I did load latest build 22118 but still not detected in x86 build but it is used in ASUS RT-AC86U according to
http://www.dd-rt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_devices

Please add what hardware works and what doesn't for you as well.
Sponsor
odesey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just wanted to update this post for anyone who might be looking to run DD-WRT in a VM.

Firstly pretty much everything that j911 posted was correct! Down to the TL4800ND adapter causing the host to freeze when you attempt to startup the VM with the PCI-E adapter assigned to it.

This was all tested on ESXi 5.5 latest update, Intel E3 Xeon, Supermicro motherboard.

There is one BIG problem however and I am still trying to determine if it's because of the hypervisor or the model of wifi card used.

Here is the issue:

Once you assign the wireless card to the VM using ESXi passthrough it is properly seen by the dd-wrt running in the VM but you cannot connect any clients to the wifi networks you create.

I tested 5 different versions of DD-WRT in the VM from 2010-2014 and they all see the PCI-E wireless adapter properly but no clients are able to connect to wifi networks that are created(b,g or n).

In addition to testing DD-WRT, I tested Open-WRT, pfsense, zeroshell, hostapd in ubuntu server\desktop 14.04. They were all VM's on the same host with the same wireless card (one at a time off course). They all had the same issue where they could properly see the wireless adapter but no clients could connect to wireless networks created.

In addition to no clients being able to connect, pfsense caused the host to PSOD, ubuntu froze/crashed.

Hopefully this will save someone time in the future.
messerchmidt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
pfsense may be a better idea for VM install
sandman06
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:49    Post subject: Re: How to run DD-WRT in ESXi Reply with quote
Hi,

thanks alot for your post. I am also running esxi and looking to incorporate wifi into my system.

I dont have have a vt-d supported cpu at the moment. I just wanted to ask can i use the wifi card normally virtualised. is TL-WN881ND recognised or is pci passthrough required.

secondly is there any update since your last post. especially with the TL-WDN4800

many thanks

j911 wrote:
I wrote this overview to help others to install dd-wrt in virtualised environment and hopefully to consolidate info on what hardware /pcie cards work under esxi etc.

1) Download starwind V2V converter. Or alternately use physdiskgui method (google it)

2) Download dd-wrt 06-08-12-r19342 as this build does not have vga issues on console output. (public or pro with vga. smp or not depends on your own needs.)

3)Rename .image extension to .img and run starwind converter to convert to vmdk for esxi.

4)Create a new standard vswitch in Esxi and call it Lan or something.) If you have two or more physical nics add them to this vswitch.

5) Leave atleast one physical nic on existing vswitch, this will be used for connection to dsl/cable modem.

6)Create a shell for ddwrt VM, call it whatever you want. Do not assign a new hdd. upload the existing vmdk that you converted earlier to the datatore and select it.

7)Now add one nic of type intel e1000 to Internet vswitch and another of intel e1000 to Lan vswitch.

8)Change the mac address of both nics to manual and assign your own mac id for both nics. This is to avoid repeated activations when mac addresses change due to vmotion etc.

9) You can use an atheros based pcie wifi card. e.g. TLW818ND works when passed through. However TL4800ND does passthrough for me but my host freezes when powering on the VM.

10) Power on the VM, check your existing router for the mac you assigned to nic 1 ddwrt VM. Try connecting to it.

11)Configure the router lan subnet to 192.168.0.X and change router ip to 192.168.0.1. If 192.168.1X is already in use by existing network.

11) Assign another vm on the lan switch port and check internet connectivity.

12) once you have fully configured everything on dd-wrt, set the VM to autoboot in esxi as 1st device.

13) You can upgrade to newer builds within dd-wrt but it will suffer from vga console corruption issues on boot. However http works fine. Its worth taking a snapshot/config backup before upgrading. You will have to power down the VM if using passthrough for snapshots,

So far for me:

Working:

LAN:
Intel Pro 1000 PT Quad Port Gigabit. (It wil disable passthrough if used on any slot under southbridge)

WIFI:

TL-WN881ND works (AR9287) can be passed through and is detected by DD-WRT (Super Channel too)

Not Working on GA-970A-UD3 (AMD 970 chipset):

Wifi:

TL-WDN4800 (Atheros AR9380 dual band) can be passed through but host freezes when powering on VM

Asus PCE-AC66 1300Mbps Wireless PCI-E Network Interface Card (BCM4360)
Vendor ID: 14E4 Device ID: 43A0

This not recognised by DD-WRT.

Needs support from devs to load driver for it.

I did load latest build 22118 but still not detected in x86 build but it is used in ASUS RT-AC86U according to
http://www.dd-rt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_devices

Please add what hardware works and what doesn't for you as well.
StrawberryDonut
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 21:53    Post subject: Re: How to run DD-WRT in ESXi Reply with quote
sandman06 wrote:
Hi,
I dont have have a vt-d supported cpu at the moment. I just wanted to ask can i use the wifi card normally virtualised. is TL-WN881ND recognised or is pci passthrough required.

secondly is there any update since your last post. especially with the TL-WDN4800

I doubt you can have the WiFi card virtualized since WiFi isn't supported by any hypervisors at the moment.

Regarding TL-WDN4800, no joy yet. Tested on ESXi 6.0. Still freezes host on VM powerup. Will be buying the WN881ND tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: