Get ipkg to work on RT-AC68u

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
fdsljlkjerw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 21:06    Post subject: Get ipkg to work on RT-AC68u Reply with quote
Hi,

I own a Asus RT-AC68u router, and installed : DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/02/14) kongac (SVN revision 23770M-R01).

That part went ok. Now, I want to install various packages, so I need to get ipkg working. Reading this wiki on ipkg (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ipkg), I get stuck at the first line:
Code:
 ipkg update

I get the following error message:
Code:
sh: 10000: unknown operand
mkdir: can't create directory '/opt/tmp/': Read-only file system

I gathered this is related to the fact that the flash is read-only unless I enabled the jffs2. So I followed the instructions here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Jffs

Basicall, I:
- Enabled jffs2 support under the administration tap
- I did the "Clean JFFS" as described in the previous URL

I also tried to insert a USB key and enabled "Core USB Support" and "USB Storage Support", but didn't know what to put under "Automatic Drive Mount" so I am not sure if that part worked (my usb key isn't formatted for linux file system).

I do see that I have a writable directory under /tmp/mnt/jffs/tmp/ipkg (I created those directories after reading a wiki instructing me to do so) but for some reason, when I run "ipkg update" it tries to do so in the /opt directory and not in the /mnt.

I assume this is a noob question about how to supersede the /opt mount with the one in /mnt, but I have no idea how to do so.

Bottom line, how can I get the line "ipkg update" to work under my environment? I have done quite a bit of reading, and I am convinced others are wondering the same thing.

Thanks for your help.

PS: I also read this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware%2C_the_Right_Way but it specifically states that:
Quote:
Kong AC builds are not supported
and since this is a AC router, I suppose it won't work.
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 21:23    Post subject: Re: Get ipkg to work on RT-AC68u Reply with quote
fdsljlkjerw wrote:
Hi,

I own a Asus RT-AC68u router, and installed : DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/02/14) kongac (SVN revision 23770M-R01).

That part went ok. Now, I want to install various packages, so I need to get ipkg working. Reading this wiki on ipkg (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ipkg), I get stuck at the first line:
Code:
 ipkg update

Code:

I gathered this is related to the fact that the flash is read-only unless I enabled the jffs2. So I followed the instructions here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Jffs

Basicall, I:
- Enabled jffs2 support under the administration tap
- I did the "Clean JFFS" as described in the previous URL

I also tried to insert a USB key and enabled "Core USB Support" and "USB Storage Support", but didn't know what to put under "Automatic Drive Mount" so I am not sure if that part worked (my usb key isn't formatted for linux file system).

I do see that I have a writable directory under /tmp/mnt/jffs/tmp/ipkg (I created those directories after reading a wiki instructing me to do so) but for some reason, when I run "ipkg update" it tries to do so in the /opt directory and not in the /mnt.

I assume this is a noob question about how to supersede the /opt mount with the one in /mnt, but I have no idea how to do so.

Bottom line, how can I get the line "ipkg update" to work under my environment? I have done quite a bit of reading, and I am convinced others are wondering the same thing.

Thanks for your help.

PS: I also read this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware%2C_the_Right_Way but it specifically states that:
Quote:

Create at least two partitions, use the usb setup page to mount one partition to /jffs and the other to /opt, after that run:

ipkg update
ipkg -force-depends install opkg
opkg update

now you can install packages using opkg. OTRW is a collection of scripts not all of them are ready to work with the arm units, but some are already working e.g. asiablock, but I still have to pack the modified scripts into a package s so they can easily installed using opkg.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 16:25    Post subject: Followed instructions, failed to install opkg. Reply with quote
I, too, am having trouble installing on an RT-AC68U running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (build 24461). I have a writable /jffs (internal) and /opt (USB key):
Code:
/dev/sda1             30642708    394772  28668288   1% /opt
/dev/mtdblock/4          98304      2312     95992   2% /jffs

When I run ipkg I see:
Code:
root@gateway:/opt# ipkg update
mkdir: can't create directory '//usr/local/lib/': Read-only file system

So I bind-mounted /opt/usr over /usr (to make it writable) and now ipkg fails silently:
Code:
root@gateway:/opt# mount -o bind /opt/usr /usr
root@gateway:/opt# ipkg update
root@gateway:/opt#

I've read that that can happen if there's no space available, but there does appear to be plenty of writable space. I even tried bind-mounting other directories, so it now looks like:
Code:
root@gateway:/opt# df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                   25600     25600         0 100% /
/dev/root                25600     25600         0 100% /
/dev/sda1             30642708    394772  28668288   1% /opt
/dev/mtdblock/4          98304      2312     95992   2% /jffs
/dev/sda1             30642708    394772  28668288   1% /lib
/dev/sda1             30642708    394772  28668288   1% /bin
/dev/sda1             30642708    394772  28668288   1% /usr
/dev/sda1             30642708    394772  28668288   1% /etc

But no dice, it still fails silently.

So what's going on? What am I missing?
wenlez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:40    Post subject: Problem ... Reply with quote
I have the same issue too. Even having two partition on the USB drive, one for /jffs , one for /opt , it still give me the read-only file system error.

root@ac68:/opt/htop/usr/local/lib/ipkg/info# ipkg update
mkdir: can't create directory '//usr/local/lib/': Read-only file system

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am facing exactly the same issue, any solution?
ILMostro7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 21:29    Post subject: Re: Get ipkg to work on RT-AC68u Reply with quote
fdsljlkjerw wrote:
Hi,

Code:

Quote:

I have the same problem with a recently-purchased Asus RT-AC56U router running Release: 12/03/14 (SVN revision: 25544)
hede0n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
What? How did you guys managed to install optware on ac68u on kong dd-wrt??? i cannot run ipkg or opkg!

Please respond....

Last edited by hede0n on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:14; edited 1 time in total
Eet_46
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
hede0n wrote:
What? How did you guys managed to install optware on ac68u??? i cannot run ipkg or opkg!

Please respond....

The ipkg repository for arm is also broken, you get a 404 not found when trying to run ipkg update. Does anyone know of a solution??
ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eet_46 wrote:
hede0n wrote:
What? How did you guys managed to install optware on ac68u??? i cannot run ipkg or opkg!

Please respond....

The ipkg repository for arm is also broken, you get a 404 not found when trying to run ipkg update. Does anyone know of a solution??

i have an r6300v2 running. i have run kong and bs builds, currently on r25309. great overall stability but cannot run ipkg or opkg. ipkg gives the /usr/local/lib read-only error. jffs and opt are mounted and are wrteable.

any fix available for bs builds?
alirz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Off topic but does AC wifi works at "full" speed on AC68u running dd-wrt.
Any other wifi radio related issues? thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: