problem with using Samba for Nas drive on DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
kapplejacks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 23:38    Post subject: problem with using Samba for Nas drive on DD-WRT Reply with quote
Okay so I have a linksys WNDR3400v2 that I recently flashed with DD-WRT. I know it wasn't fully supported yet but, I proceeded to flash the firmware anyway. The file is called "dd-wrt.v24-K26_WNDR3400V2_17-Apr-2014.chk" . I successfully got it up and running and configured my port forwarding but when I went to try and configure my usb drive (formatted ext2) as a NAS drive it wouldn't show the samba option in the Services -> NAS tabs, only ProFTPD was available. In the Services -> USB tab I have everything enabled and the Disk Mount Point is /mnt. I notice I have the mega version is that the reason Samba does not show up? Any ideas?

This is the firmware build.
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/17/14) mega

I get this dialog message when I plug my usb drive into the router.
--- /dev/discs/disc0/disc
Block device, size 1.863 GiB (2000682496 bytes)
DOS/MBR partition map
Partition 1: 1.861 GiB (1998585856 bytes, 3903488 sectors from 2048)
Type 0x83 (Linux)
Ext2 file system
Volume name "SwapFile"
UUID C0DD25E1-E732-4E2E-95CD-95313A3B478E (DCE, v4)
Volume size 1.861 GiB (1998585856 bytes, 487936 blocks of 4 KiB)
Status: /dev/discs/disc0/part1 mounted on /mnt as disc0_part1
Sponsor
kapplejacks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
is this even the right subforum?
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like the build you have doesn't support Samba. If your router support optware and your build has ipkg than you can install Samba to your router. Telnet to your router and type ipkg. If it say file not found than it means it doesn't support optware. Google for more detail on dd-wrt optware setup. Optware normally use ipk from openwrt and your router need ipk for platform brcm47xx.mips74k

On the other hand, if what you need is just a NAS so that you can upload and download files to it. I think ProFTPD will do the job and I found it is normally faster than Samba as Samba use a lot of CPU resources.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:38    Post subject: Re: problem with using Samba for Nas drive on DD-WRT Reply with quote
kapplejacks wrote:
Okay so I have a linksys WNDR3400v2 that I recently flashed with DD-WRT. I know it wasn't fully supported yet but, I proceeded to flash the firmware anyway. The file is called "dd-wrt.v24-K26_WNDR3400V2_17-Apr-2014.chk"

from myopenrouter right.? i tried that with a wndr3400v2 long ago & it didnt work at all for client mode(not surprising) but i didnt know they released an updated version but still thats probably the reason, myopenrouter builds are hacks to get it running. also this is a broadcom unit not atheros, wrong forum

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

kapplejacks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:57    Post subject: Re: problem with using Samba for Nas drive on DD-WRT Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
kapplejacks wrote:
Okay so I have a linksys WNDR3400v2 that I recently flashed with DD-WRT. I know it wasn't fully supported yet but, I proceeded to flash the firmware anyway. The file is called "dd-wrt.v24-K26_WNDR3400V2_17-Apr-2014.chk"

from myopenrouter right.? i tried that with a wndr3400v2 long ago & it didnt work at all for client mode(not surprising) but i didnt know they released an updated version but still thats probably the reason, myopenrouter builds are hacks to get it running. also this is a broadcom unit not atheros, wrong forum

it was on some website someone posted in a forum so im guessing it was hacked. thanks for the information on that though!

i did infact try installing via telnet and using the sudo apt-get command, install took about 10 minutes and after i can verify samba is working here is my output

\u@\h:\w\$ service samba status

Samba version 2.2.12
Service uid gid pid machine
----------------------------------------------

Failed to open byte range locking database
ERROR: Failed to initialise locking database
Can't initialise locking module - exiting

i thought because samba was not compatible with my build that the option just wasn't available or programmed on my web GUI so viewing the source code yields some functions relating to samba. like on line 170 " function addSambaUser() " could i enable and configure it via the command line possibly?

another question, if i wanted to use ProFTPD could i do that over an openVPN?

thanks for all the info so far its been helpful
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a thread on Broadcom forum that discussed on WNDR3400v2, may be you can post your question on that thread:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=153543&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=wndr3400v2&start=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: