Using FrootVPN with DD-WRT

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Proself
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 13:36    Post subject: Using FrootVPN with DD-WRT Reply with quote
Has anyone else had any success setting up FrootVPN? I am trying to follow their directions and go with the guides listed for VPNs but not having much success. Also since there is more than one way to connect which way is preferable - PPTP or OpenVPN? My assumption and a decision based on actual facts are two different things. Thank you in advance.

https://www.frootvpn.com/guides/
Sponsor
pcfrk256
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
It took a few minutes, but I did get this working. I couldn't get it to work through the DD-WRT interface, but I did through the command line. Steps:

1) Make sure your router's date/time is correct. If not, do this now.
2) Download the OpenVPN config file from the FrootVPN site
3) Enable SSH/Telnet
4) Copy the OpenVPN file you downloaded from the FrootVPN site to /tmp/openvpncl/frootvpn.conf
5) Open the frootvpn file and append
Code:
/tmp/openvpncl/user.conf
after
Code:
auth-user-pass

6) Edit /tmp/openvpncl/user.conf and put your username on one line and your password on the other
7) Run this:
Code:
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o tun0 -j MASQUERADE

8) Run this command to start it up:
Code:
openvpn --config /tmp/openvpncl/frootvpn.conf

If everything works like it should, you should see output like this:
Code:
openvpn --config frootvpn.conf
Fri Oct 24 22:06:13 2014 OpenVPN 2.1_rc20 mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL] [LZO1] [EPOLL] built on Oct 10 2009
Fri Oct 24 22:06:13 2014 WARNING: file '/tmp/openvpncl/user.conf' is group or others accessible
Fri Oct 24 22:06:13 2014 WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled.  See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for more info.
Fri Oct 24 22:06:13 2014 RESOLVE: NOTE: se-openvpn.frootvpn.com resolves to 3 addresses, choosing one by random
Fri Oct 24 22:06:13 2014 UDPv4 link local: [undef]
Fri Oct 24 22:06:13 2014 UDPv4 link remote: 178.73.212.196:1194
Fri Oct 24 22:06:13 2014 WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option to prevent this
Fri Oct 24 22:06:19 2014 [server] Peer Connection Initiated with 178.73.212.196:1194
Fri Oct 24 22:06:21 2014 Options error: Unrecognized option or missing parameter(s) in [PUSH-OPTIONS]:1: ifconfig-ipv6 (2.1_rc20)
Fri Oct 24 22:06:21 2014 Options error: Unrecognized option or missing parameter(s) in [PUSH-OPTIONS]:5: route-ipv6 (2.1_rc20)
Fri Oct 24 22:06:21 2014 TUN/TAP device tun0 opened
Fri Oct 24 22:06:21 2014 /sbin/ifconfig tun0 46.246.112.17 netmask 255.255.255.224 mtu 1500 broadcast 46.246.112.31

If you get that, hit ipchicken.com to see if you're getting routed over the VPN. If you are, hit ^c to quit then run this to daemonize OpenVPN:

Code:
openvpn --config /tmp/openvpncl/frootvpn.conf --daemon

Hope that helps. If there's a better way, I'm all ears!
rafay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 17:43    Post subject: Can't manage to get it working :S Reply with quote
Hi pcfrk256,

Thank you for your help in setting up Frootvpn on DD-WRT.
I'm having some issues with the setup although i tried to follow your instructions very carefully, but sadly i wasn't successful.

The issues are as follows and will be grateful if you can assist me with them :

1. My router file structure doesn't seem to be the same as yours, for some reason. For instance, i have /tmp/openvpn/ (without the CL at the very end of /openvpn/), does it have any effect on the setup ?

2. I don't have the user.conf file that you are referring too, so i created one with my username on one line and password on the other.

3. When i ran the " openvpn --config /tmp/openvpn/frootvpn.conf ", i received the following message :

Options error: Unrecognized option or missing parameter(s) in /tmp/openvpn/frootvpn.conf:10: /tmp/openvpn/user.conf (2.1.1)
Use --help for more information.

Your help will be highly appreciated as the issue is really frustrating me :S

Btw, i'm using SSH to connect to the router and the program called Transmit on my MBP to transfer files to and from the router.

Thank you in advance for your great help.
Regards,
Rafik
rafay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:48    Post subject: Help please Reply with quote
Can anyone please help me with the above mentioned issue.. As I'm in desperate need of it
pcfrk256
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
The location of the config files doesn't really matter. I just put mine in the OpenVPN folder.

Could you paste your FrootVPN.conf file? You can exclude the keys.
rafay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
client
dev tun
proto udp
resolv-retry infinite
remote-random
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
auth-user-pass
/tmp/openvpn/user.conf
ns-cert-type server
verb 3
<ca>
rafay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
i had to create the user.conf file, as it wasn't in the location you mentioned.

My DD-wrt firmware version is DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega .

could it be that i have to edit the files using something else other than Textedit on my mac ?

Thank you once again for your help, appreciated.
pcfrk256
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
This should be on one line:

auth-user-pass /tmp/openvpn/user.conf

Sorry I didn't really make that super clear. Try that and see what you get. Smile
rafay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you so much for your great help.. i seem to get some sort of activity similar to the one you've post Smile

But sadly i checked my location and found out that i wasn't through the VPN yet!! getting my same IP address and location.

My hardware setup is as follows :

1. Main ADSL modem connected to the telephone line.
2. Linksys wrt610 connected to the ADSL modem via an ethernet cable, connected to the LAN port 1 instead of WAN port to be able to see both networks.
2.1 Tried connecting the ADSL modem to the Linksys router WAN port, but sadly even the lights on both devices didn't light up to show any sort of activity.

Now, my ADSL modem IP setting is as follows :
*Router IP Address :192.168.1.1
*Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
*Gateway : 192.168.1.1
*Local DNS : 192.168.1.1
*DHCP enabled

Linksys Router :
*Router IP Address : 192.168.1.2
*Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
*Gateway : 192.168.1.1
*Local DNS : 192.168.1.1
*DHCP disabled

I'm sure that with your experienced knowhow, you'll once again be able to assist me with my setup and finally getting everything working Smile

Thank you once again for your great help.
Regards..
pcfrk256
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's your default gateway on your computer? If it's the IP of the linksys router, 192.168.1.2, you should be good. I have a feeling that since your modem is handing out DHCP, it's providing the wrong gateway for what you're trying to do.
rafay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you my friend for the great help and time. However, I wasn't that successful with my setup until now..

I thought of giving up my current setup and connecting the DDWRT router to modem via the WAN PORT, but for some reason, that port doesn't work at all.

Anyways, Thank you once again for your hell, appreciated.
Regards
jamaroney
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to successfully install frootvpn on my Linksys WRT45GL router. However, what is needed is one of the
"openvpn_jffs_small" firmware versions, as you will need to save several files onto your router in a directory that will survive a reboot. If you write files to your router using just a regular openvpn firmware, it won't survive a reboot.

After setting up a /jffs directory on your router (follow direction elsewhere on dd-wrt wiki), create a subdirectory called /openvpn, and place in it frootvpn.conf and the user.conf file that you created. Be sure to change the auth-user-pass line in frootvpn.conf to:
auth-user-pass /jffs/openvpn/user.conf

Then run the following commands via telnet or SSH:
openvpn /jffs/openvpn/frootvpn.conf

If you want frootvpn to start up automatically on reboot, create the directory /jffs/etc/config, in it make a file called "vpn.startup." In the file, enter:

#!/bin/sh
openvpn /jffs/openvpn/frootvpn.ovpn

Make it executable, save, and you should be all set.

And in either case, be sure that all OpenVPN options in dd-wrt WebGUI are set to "disabled."

It took me a week to accumulate all this info, and unfortunately, little of it was on the dd-wrt site.

Good luck!
Inter95
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, i was following you guide but unfortunately i cant get it to work. can someone help me on it. im using Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/27/13) mega on a Netgear WNDR3400. here is the log
http://pastebin.com/4K8uq9QB
Krissi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi

Just to let you know that this also worked for me as I did what "pcfrk256" wrote with the minor difference that I use
i) /tmp/openvpn as the path
ii) frootvpn.ovpn and not frootvpn.conf (doesn't matter)
iii) created a user.conf with the two lines (name and password)
iv) enabled IPv6 through the DD-WRT GUI
v) adjusted all commands to the changes in i) and ii)

Note: I got and "Linux ifconfig inet6 failed: external program exited with error status: 255" error that was solved as described in iii)

Depending on dd-wrt version IPv6 can be enabled under [Administration->Management] or [Setup->IPV6].
I am running on a tplink_tl-wr1043nd-v2 r25648 where IPv6 is located under [Setup->IPV6]. I just enabled it (with "Native IPv6 from ISP) and didn't change anything of the default settings.

My only problem now is that the files are deleted every time I reboot the router. Any suggestion on how to prevent this.

PS. I used WinSCP to transfer the files from my pc to the router. For enabling SSH remember to enable it in "Services" first.

Hope this helps other to make the final changes to make it work.
Krissi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Inter95 wrote:
Hi, i was following you guide but unfortunately i cant get it to work. can someone help me on it. im using Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/27/13) mega on a Netgear WNDR3400. here is the log
http://pastebin.com/4K8uq9QB

Look at my post... you need to enable IPv6 in the DD-WRT GUI under [Administration->Management] or [Setup->IPV6].
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: