can't write to JFFS filesystem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Lancaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 18:38    Post subject: can't write to JFFS filesystem Reply with quote
I have a TP-Link TL-WDR4300 with DD-WRT firmware v24-sp2 (12/24/13) std. I want to use lancethepants' binaries for DNSCrypt. I enabled JFFS2 in DD-WRT and used Telnet on my home network to log in to my WDR4300. I went in to /jffs and tried to use wget to get files from http://files.lancethepants.com/Binaries/dnscrypt-proxy/dnscrypt-proxy%201.4.1%20-%20libsodium%201.0.0/ but no file was copied to /jffs. I tried using wget while in /tmp and a file was copied so I know I can get the files. I used ls -ld /jffs to check permissions and found drwxr-xr-x 2 root root I tried using chmod 777 /jffs but permissions didn't change. In the DD-WRT Web GUI -> Administration -> Management -> JFFS2 Support I see Total / Free Size 6,784.00 KB / 0.
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Take a look at this wiki if you haven't done so: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Journalling_Flash_File_System
Lancaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. I looked at that earlier but didn't go through all of it. I used only the first part about enabling JFFS. I went back for another look. The remainder is about adding more storage. I have about 6 MB of JFFS to work with after following only the instructions for enabling JFFS. That's not much but should be enough for the small DNSCrypt binaries. The third time I tried enabling JFFS I used the Directions for (freaky) Linux Gurus: CLI instructions but got the same result. Even after using chmod again I can't change the permissions for /jffs and can't save anything in the folder.
Lancaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Code:
root@TL-WDR4300:/# df -m
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                       7         7         0 100% /
/dev/root                    7         7         0 100% /
none                         1         0         1   0% /dev

Looks like JFFS isn't mounting for some reason.
Lancaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried to find a feature list for the firmware I'm using. Maybe JFFS isn't supported but the option to switch it on is still in the web GUI. I forgot when I installed it but looks like the firmware I'm using isn't an official release, yet. Maybe it's a brainslayer test build. I'm not sure.

Last edited by Lancaster on Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:01; edited 2 times in total
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lancaster wrote:
I have about 6 MB of JFFS to work with

You have 6MB of RAM which jffs2 can use but jffs2 would be worthless if it only resided in RAM - you would lose the content as soon as you did a reboot of the router.
The jffs2 filesystem is stored in flash and copied to RAM after booting, will be accessed in RAM but any changes you do will updated to flash as well, that is how jffs2 can be non-volatile .

Your 8MB flash is already fully occupied by the dd-wrt firmware, there is no room for the backup of the jffs2 file system.
You have a USB port on the WDR4300 and a 2-4GB USB flash stick can be bought for next to nothing - you don't need internal jffs2 storage!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe I'm wrong but looks like the firmware I'm using doesn't support JFFS2. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#K2.4_Build_Features Confusing that the option to switch it on is in the web GUI but if the firmware is a testing kind then I guess I can't complain much.

Quote:
Your 8MB flash is already fully occupied by the dd-wrt firmware, there is no room for the backup of the jffs2 file system.

Ok. That makes sense. Thank you. While I was browsing the Internet I found ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/06-23-2014-r24461/tplink_tl-wdr4300v1/tl-wdr4300-webflash.bin and saw it is 7.7 MB. Even though that's not the firmware I'm currently using I wondered why I had ~6 MB of JFFS according to the web GUI.

Quote:
You have a USB port on the WDR4300 and a 2-4GB USB flash stick can be bought for next to nothing - you don't need internal jffs2 storage!

I was at a thrift store today and saw a new 2 GB micro SD card with USB adapter for $3. It was small- great for plugging in to the back of a home router. Unfortunately, someone else grabbed it first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: