AP Options

caseymx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:21    Post subject: AP Options Reply with quote
I'm looking for a direction. I have been searching the web and everything that comes up has to do with QOS.
I have an older linksys router wit dd-wrt all flashed and ready. I have a TP Link AP set up outside so my rv park customers can use my internet. It's a small park with an average of about 4 to 5 daily customers, most working in the area. I have sattelite Internet and I am limited to a monthly bandwidth. The problem is that sometimes I get customers that burn up my bandwidth allocation by streaming live tv or whatever.
So what are my options here? My initial thinking was to limit the speed of the TP Link connection to the router enough to where streaming was not possible.
A point in the right direction here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Sponsor
MongooseProXC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can certainly do this and there are a few ways I can think of. This is a simple way worth trying and it should work for you.

Setup the Linksys with DD-WRT as the Access Point your guests will connect to. Follow this guide in the wiki:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point#Short_Version

Enable QOS and pick the Port you chose in the guide above. Then, just set the Uplink speed and Downlink speed to whatever limits you want.

Let us know if it works.
caseymx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. I think I have tried this but I will give it another go and see what happens. The only difference is that I can't use the linksys as the primary AP because of the distance. I have a TP link outdoor high power antenna that they connect to as the primary AP. Then it connects to one of the lan ports on my wireless router. My initial thinking was to do what you suggested but actually put the dd-wrt linksys as another AP between the TP link AP and the indoor wireless router.
Does QOS only work in AP mode?
MongooseProXC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
QOS works in router mode, but setting it the way will limit everybody. I assume that you don't want to throttle your own connection. If you don't mind, then switching your current router for the DD-WRT box will work great. Problem solved!

The second option you mentioned may work. But, why have three devices when you only need two? It also seems overly complicated and would bother my OCD to no end.

The last way I can recomend is by placing guest connections in a different subnet. Then, flashing a firmware build that can limit connection speeds by Netmask Priority. Kong's 22000++ build has this option. This way is probably the trickiest, but in the end makes the most sense.
caseymx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
The QOS function doesn't seen to have no effect on speed. I've tried all different ways and nothing makes a difference.
MongooseProXC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you switch your router, between the modem and your access point, with the DD-WRT box? If you reduce the global setting in the QOS page and run a speed test, you should see the figures drop to whatever you set.
caseymx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes. What I have now is the DD-WRT box with wireless enabled and all for my home network and connected to it is the TPLink outdoor AP antenna for my park guests. I enabled QOS and set the upload and download speeds to about half of my max speed rating and I've done multiple speed tests with no noticeable difference whatsoever. I even tried just selecting the port that the outdoor antenna is connected to and adjusting its speed. I would hate to know that I will have to end up putting a server in between the outdoor antenna and the router. But I do have access to a couple of old computers around the house
MongooseProXC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wish I could be more help. Enabling QOS and lowering those rates should throttle back all the traffic going through your network. I do not know why it's not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: