Future generations with better OpenVPN support

donphillipe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:31    Post subject: Future generations with better OpenVPN support Reply with quote
Would it be possible to better integrate OpenVPN Server into dd-wrt? There are many who travel who wish to tunnel into their home networks for various reasons. If there was a beginner/advanced option for OpenVPN server and the "Beginner" options were only

Port __
_ Routed _ Bridged

(with perhaps a few other options that had "default settings")

And if each version of dd-wrt came with a recommended (tested) version of OpenVPN Client to use with it, then I believe many people would benefit from this. Today only network engineers seem to be able to figure out how to make OpenVPN Server work, and when big hitters like Heartbleed come out, then that pretty much wipes everything that has been published about how to configure it, because a new version of dd-wrt needs to be used and with that all the structure has changed.

Much appreciated! And thanks for all the things you do already with the nice features of dd-wrt !!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsor
donphillipe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
After working for a week on trying to set up a Routed tunnel with all network traffic going over the tunnel and remembering my experience back the last time I implemented this which was with v14896, I now see that many improvements have already been made in the way OpenVPN Server is implemented. Thank you for this improvement.

All I can actually see now that is lacking is if a Routed tunnel is setup up and the redirect-gateway option is selected in the menu and pushed in the config, still a firewall rule as follows must be manually implemented in order for the traffic to be routed. Now this is not something that I understand with my skill level, but all I know is when I input it into the firewall, the full traffic went through the tunnel and out the dd-wrt openvpn server, as it would not do this without it:

iptables -I FORWARD 1 --source 10.10.10.0/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.10.10.0/24 -o br0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.10.10.0/24 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o tun2 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i tun2 -o br0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o tun2 -j MASQUERADE

Otherwise, thanks for the fine work you are doing and apologies for jumping to any conclusions about the effort in the area of OpenVPN server. Mine is working as of release 24160 and I am very happy. Thanks again for all you do, dd-wrt team!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: