WRT54GL V1.1 Firmware and Other Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
webdawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 21:57    Post subject: WRT54GL V1.1 Firmware and Other Questions Reply with quote
So right now I am using ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

Which if I am reading correctly in all the posts is the current recommended build for the unit. I understand that newer is not better...and the V24 pre SP2 is the newest version in general.

Should I not move on to a higher build? If not that is great but redhawk0's post has not been updated for over a year: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043

Is that the correct post? I remember reading about updating it to 15962 or something like that in 2011.

It just seems like 08-12-10 is pretty old in general. Is there just nothing more going on with the firmware on this router? (I know it is old)

Sorry for another firmware/build thread. I just have been watching for another recommendation for a long time....

I see all the builds in: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/

I thought Eko and BrainSlayer were different people...I know they only release one release now...is that why there is an eko, then BrainSlayer dir after?

I get the concept of builds and that they are just that...I make software too...and I suppose build announcements to tell people that one is stable or not. I guess all the bin files are just from a mass compile...possibly a change unrelated completely from Broadcom SoC stuff? Mostly for people to test.

I am using firmware that is over 4 years old right? It looks like very few vulrns exist in ddwrt firmware and that the builds I use are good against the last that was found.

I can accept that it is secure. Like OpenBSD is secure. I mean look how they patch...vs other OS's. Just a style of security.

Any input?
Sponsor
webdawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:32    Post subject: Questions Unanswered Reply with quote
Anyone have any help they could provide?
MongooseProXC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's true. If it's not broken then don't fix it. Newer builds won't necessarily give you more features and may hurt stability. I don't believe there are any known vulnerabilities in your current build either.

If you're curious, back-up your configuration and try a new build. It's easy to return back to your current setup.
webdawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
MongooseProXC wrote:
It's true. If it's not broken then don't fix it. Newer builds won't necessarily give you more features and may hurt stability. I don't believe there are any known vulnerabilities in your current build either.

If you're curious, back-up your configuration and try a new build. It's easy to return back to your current setup.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I can get the rest of these questions answered.
webdawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone know of someone who tests any of the new builds on WRT54GL hardware?
webdawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
webdawg wrote:
Does anyone know of someone who tests any of the new builds on WRT54GL hardware?

Is there is a a reason redhawk recommends the build he does. Is the information on the forum bad now or still good?
mito
DD-WRT User

Location: Buenos Aires-Argentina, End of World and new Pope's home.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, i am on Eko's build 14471M, never found nothing better, no lags nor reboots, fast wifi, etc.
Now i use it as repeater at my warehose, never disconects, great router with great firm.

RT-N16 on VicTek's Raf Beta 9014-v1.3d. repeater @ Condominium pool side, a lot of clients messing arround.
wrt600n on wrt610n firm 16214 @ warehouse for 22 colleagues as wifi client @ 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz just for me.
wrt54gl on Eko's @ warehose as repeater for 22 coleagues as wifi client
wrt350n oldie 2007, 5 years bricked, recovered from dead & modded with antennas and new agn radio now incredible "NA mixed" on Brainslayer's , repeater at my garage, modding as hobby (picture)
All at service.

Kong said: Yeah that stupid 30/30/30. I already said it multiple times on newer units build in the last 2 years this is not the way to do it Smile
webdawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
mito wrote:
Hi, i am on Eko's build 14471M, never found nothing better, no lags nor reboots, fast wifi, etc.
Now i use it as repeater at my warehose, never disconects, great router with great firm.

Thanks for the report. Is there any reason you do not use 14929?
mito
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not realy, the thing is there is no any "very common people" change log to watch at, and see what change has one firm over the past other firms, so changes between both may be minimum, and 14471 for me is very stable/reliable, that is what i need most.
You can test both and choose what is best for you Laughing

RT-N16 on VicTek's Raf Beta 9014-v1.3d. repeater @ Condominium pool side, a lot of clients messing arround.
wrt600n on wrt610n firm 16214 @ warehouse for 22 colleagues as wifi client @ 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz just for me.
wrt350n oldie 2007, 5 years bricked, recovered from dead & modded with antennas and new agn radio now incredible "NA mixed" on Brainslayer's , repeater at my garage, modding as hobby (picture)
All at service.

Kong said: Yeah that stupid 30/30/30. I already said it multiple times on newer units build in the last 2 years this is not the way to do it Smile
webdawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
mito wrote:
Not realy, the thing is there is no any "very common people" change log to watch at, and see what change has one firm over the past other firms, so changes between both may be minimum, and 14471 for me is very stable/reliable, that is what i need most.
You can test both and choose what is best for you Laughing

I think you have picked up on something that I did not read in the forums before. I mean, they have threads dedicated to helping people figure out the firmware but none of them ever seem to mention:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Changelog

or

http://svn.dd-wrt.com/log/
mito
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeap, the second one, you have to check thousands of lines back and be an IT to get what EKO changed between his firms long time ago.

All at service.

webdawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
mito wrote:
Yeap, the second one, you have to check thousands of lines back and be an IT to get what EKO changed between his firms long time ago.

That is what I am looking at now. I have a log of all the commits from 14929 to 25252.

It is really cool how all the devices have support under one code tree. Looking through utils.c it seems there is a decent amount of code searching for different routers, etc.

I have seen specific builds for certain models. Do you know how they hook that specific code in when the execute a build in the build system?

Do the specific builds for specific models remove code too?
webdawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
It looks like a lot is done through the make file.
mito
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, i'm sorry, i don't know Confused

All at service.

webdawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
So after looking through a lot of the change log and some of the code. I really would like a suggestion or information really about weather it is even recommended to try new revisions.

It looks like there are a few fixes every now and then along with new code for new devices.

Anyone want to recommend a revision to start with that is newer for the WRT54GL v1.1 and a reason to start with it.

I can go from there and start testing.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: