R7000 questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ScottChapman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 14:54    Post subject: R7000 questions... Reply with quote
So, I did a little test a couple of weeks ago and went 24760 (recommended on Tweaking4All). Things seemed ok.

What I really liked what DNSMasq.

But I wasn't sure if I was getting optimal wifi performance. There are just a ton of things one can tweak, and it is daunting to know if and where to start.

What I liked about stock was that generally it was setup fine by default. But of course stock didn't provide any way for me to visualize signal strength.

I figured I would wait until the builds stabilize. I am tracking the general rebooting issue that sounds like it has been around for a while.

But thought I would ask, do the OOB defaults for DD-WRT do a pretty good job of doing what the stock firmware does WRT wireless settings?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
mystykmax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 15:12    Post subject: Re: R7000 questions... Reply with quote
ScottChapman wrote:
So, I did a little test a couple of weeks ago and went 24760 (recommended on Tweaking4All). Things seemed ok.

What I really liked what DNSMasq.

But I wasn't sure if I was getting optimal wifi performance. There are just a ton of things one can tweak, and it is daunting to know if and where to start.

What I liked about stock was that generally it was setup fine by default. But of course stock didn't provide any way for me to visualize signal strength.

I figured I would wait until the builds stabilize. I am tracking the general rebooting issue that sounds like it has been around for a while.

But thought I would ask, do the OOB defaults for DD-WRT do a pretty good job of doing what the stock firmware does WRT wireless settings?

Thanks in advance!

I'm using 25090 swimmingly. Some people are having issues with reboots, some are not. I am one of the lucky ones I guess who doesn't have that issue on my R7000. The OOB defaults for this seem just fine to me, but I don't get too complex with my setup.
ScottChapman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
It sounds like the reboot issues might be around WMM on 2.4, but not really sure. You just flashed and going fine with it? How long have you been running it?
niXta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
ScottChapman wrote:
It sounds like the reboot issues might be around WMM on 2.4, but not really sure. You just flashed and going fine with it? How long have you been running it?

It seems like the reboot issue is linked to specific (client) wifi chipset(s?). It will probably not be fixed until broadcom give out their new drivers.

Wifi is slower for me on dd-wrt but one could probably tweak it a bit. Frame Burst on WL1 gave me 10%+ for example.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
niXta wrote:

It seems like the reboot issue is linked to specific (client) wifi chipset(s?). It will probably not be fixed until broadcom give out their new drivers.

Wifi is slower for me on dd-wrt but one could probably tweak it a bit. Frame Burst on WL1 gave me 10%+ for example.

I would agree with chipset thinking. I my case there are 2 iPhone 5's, Asus USB NIC with Ralink chip, Linnox thermostat, and Nexus 7 tablet (first version), and Sony blueray player. Everything runs fine until I stream video on the Nexus tablet. Then start to see slowdowns/freezes on wireless and then a reboot of the r7000. Sequence continues. Stream video on the Sony blueray without issues. Do not know what chip is in the Nexus 7 but it would appear to be a issue in my case.
--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 14:17    Post subject: Re: R7000 questions... Reply with quote
ScottChapman wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Scott,
check out our R7000 sticky.
In there you will see a link to kongs suggested wifi setup.
Basically yes its fine out of the box with defaults.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: