Netgear R7500 - anyone building firmware for it yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 15:49    Post subject: Netgear R7500 - anyone building firmware for it yet? Reply with quote
Hi,
I usually post/dwell in the Broadcom forums but was suggested to look for news about the Netgear R7500 here in the Atheros forums.

Is there any news about dd-wrt supporting the newest Netgear router?
More importantly are any of the developers releasing a firmware for the new unit?

I did a quick search of the forums with the key word R7500 before hand so if I have missed an already discussed thread, my apologies.

Thank you

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=268359

brainslayer said it is supportable but hasnt said anything else about it such as an eta, & i didnt ask, but im assuming he needs a unit to do so. it has a qualcomm atheros cpu with quantenna wifi so if anything atheros is the better section for it

but so far there is no build for it on the internal private server

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks tat,
Just to be sure.
I did post in the atheros section didn't i?

tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes what i said was referring to when u said u usually post in broadcom forum

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

justyourimage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong stated in the R8000 thread in the Broadcom-Section that he 'd be excited about the R7500 but doesn't have an unit yet. So your best bet is waiting for kong to aquire one or donating one to him if you want support for it.
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I doubt that is a wise idea.
Kong also stated he is no longer releasing firmware on his own.
He is ONLY helping to fix/patch or otherwise work within BS releases.

justyourimage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
I doubt that is a wise idea.
Kong also stated he is no longer releasing firmware on his own.
He is ONLY helping to fix/patch or otherwise work within BS releases.

... on his own. So he'd be optimizing for it in the main-branch. So ? It would be still a build from the main-branch optimized and compiled for the R7500 with support from kong so I don't see anything wrong with it. What 's better then the main-branch supporting it officially? Would you rather have an own hacky branch that drives of the main one to far now that it 's recieving so many updates and progressions towards a stable build lately? But yea, maybe try writing him an PM first. Was just an idea ... don't see anyone looking into adding support for it otherwise.

Last edited by justyourimage on Thu Nov 20, 2014 16:46; edited 2 times in total
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dunno about that.
If you go read what kong has been fixing for BS builds I don't recall seeing a single specific fix/optimization for a given router.
Rather I see code error fixes, general security updates etc..
However you are free to think Kong will add in an optimization for a specific model if you like.
I just do not agree that is a likely outcome you should expect.

justyourimage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
Dunno about that.
If you go read what kong has been fixing for BS builds I don't recall seeing a single specific fix/optimization for a given router.
Rather I see code error fixes, general security updates etc..
However you are free to think Kong will add in an optimization for a specific model if you like.
I just do not agree that is a likely outcome you should expect.

While it 's "generalized" if he tests the fixes and optimizations on a specific router (e. g. the R7500) you can bet your ass for it that there will be a build for it and it will be running great even if it 's not specifically mentioned just like right now that the last builds will run properly on the R7000 high likely since it 's main-powerhorse right now.

But like I said I'm not kong - and don't own an R7500 - i just came upon his post in the R8000 thread and tought it would be good idea to share this info here. So maybe try writing him an PM and asking him about it.

Btw. that 's the Post I'm speaking about:

<Kong> wrote:
<stripped quotes out - see OP in thread>

Already explained in another thread I'm just waiting for new drivers from broadcom. The basic porting is already done. Once we have the new drivers I'll finish port, led and button assignment.

It is exactly as I said, the R8000 has been added long time ago to svn:-)

And you can actually flash the arm build if you add the header, but wireless isn't working right now, as the R8000 has radios that require a completely different driver, which is also used in the Asus RT-AC3200. But Tathagata already prepared a build on myopenrouter for the R8000 with netgears kernel, as I already did the basic porting this image should be safe to be flashed of course, but still might have a couple of bugs that we can't fix as the netgear kernel doesn't support everything we need and it requires a different toolchain.

Anyways. I think the next winner after the R7000 is the R7500. It just has the most powerful CPU way better than everything Asus has to offer now.
Not just a few Mhz more, the core is not based on cortex-a9 but krait, so even at the same Mhz it is about 25% faster than the broadcom cpu, along with the higher clock it should be around ~1.6 times faster then the AC87U and also much faster then the RT-AC3200.

I like the R8000 because you can pop out the antennae if you need the range and when you don't need it you just pop them in and it looks all good.
The cooling is also very good on the R8000, it runs even cooler then the R7000. But I don't need 3 radios:-)

To be honest I'm much more exited about the R7500. But I first need a unit then I can tell if it will be possible to support it. But as far as I can tell the quantenna radio used in it should be already supported by the code BS added for the Asus 87U.
The R7500 also uses U-Boot, thus it is probably much easier to debrick then other netgear units.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=263233&start=60

Cheers
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
my five cents. kong and me are working together at some parts. so he introduced first experiments with the ipq806x chipset used in the netgear r7500 which was completelly broken at the end at all material from ath10k to kernel patches available. since i know got a similar device based on the same chipset i was able to complete his early work. so wireless. kernel, nand drivers, usb etc. is all now working. i havent tested the r7500 yet, but kong may be able to answer if its ready for release yet and if he says yes, i will so. so far i just have a trendnet tew 827 here for testing which is not on the market yet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
my five cents. kong and me are working together at some parts. so he introduced first experiments with the ipq806x chipset used in the netgear r7500 which was completelly broken at the end at all material from ath10k to kernel patches available. since i know got a similar device based on the same chipset i was able to complete his early work. so wireless. kernel, nand drivers, usb etc. is all now working. i havent tested the r7500 yet, but kong may be able to answer if its ready for release yet and if he says yes, i will so. so far i just have a trendnet tew 827 here for testing which is not on the market yet

v1 or v2? will their 5ghz be supported? will client mode work? i asked u like a year ago u told me client modes couldnt work cause of hw design, is that still accurate or is it worked around now?

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Additional discussion related to R7500:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=991690#991690
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=993604#993604
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=993757#993757

BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
the quantenna can not support client mode if its integrated as a ethernet bridge on hardware base like on the ac87.

for the standard ipq806x based devices with QCA99XX chipsets this will work

Navigation

Jump to: