Q: WIFI extender bridge / WIFI booster SSID D-615

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
MoRbIdBoY
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 23:44    Post subject: Q: WIFI extender bridge / WIFI booster SSID D-615 Reply with quote
Hey guys, I have a question regarding these articles, I'm not much of a guru on networking but I managed to flash my old d-link and followed the article below about using it as a 'WIFI' booster:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72478

When I got to the section that states
'Wireless Network Name(SSID) : Must Match Primary Router exactly including exact case- Make sure you spell this correctly'

I thought 'WOOT', but then my heart sank when I read
'Virtual Interfaces Section - Add - Wireless Network Name(SSID) : Different from Primary Router - [NOTE] - You CAN try using the same SSID but it usually will not work properly. Many have had random disconnects and/or no connection if the SSID's are the same.

But I tried it anyway, unfortunately I have only endded up with two routers that have seperate SSID's (which, obviosly, if I'm using a tablet... I can only connect to one or the other).

Clearly I must be missing something. I was just wanting to boost my internet routers WIFI into other areas of the house using the D-615, but this would require me to physically switch to a different SSID / router manually? Especially if the android tablet is already connected to the albeit weaker existing SSID router?
Sponsor
ervau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hallo,

for the first step just take the same SSID for the router and the repeater bridge including same password etc. Don't install any virtual net.
In my network notebook and ipad connect to the strongest signal of router or repeater bridge.
When that works you can play with the settings.

ervau
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: