Routers that actually support iPhone USB tethering?

wondroushippo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 21:05    Post subject: Routers that actually support iPhone USB tethering? Reply with quote
My problem: I want to buy a router with DD-WRT support that supports iPhone tethering via USB, but am confused as to which routers actually support it, as it seems like a limited number do so.

I know that some builds of DD-WRT at least list support tethering to iPhones via USB, the problem seems to be finding a router that actually supports it? It's a feature with little documentation (hours of searching have turned up next to nothing), and the only confirmed routers I see with support are listed on here: http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/2710 - am I going to have to hunt down one of those routers to get this feature? I'm looking to finally upgrade from my WRT54GL (which is using a cheapo N router attached to it for wireless N support, but I want to simplify my setup and get USB support) and I'd love to buy something from the Micro Center near me!

Granted, I can just do a wireless client bridge to the iPhone if necessary, but that adds latency. Probably not enough to matter, but hey...I'm sure I'm among a crowd that understands. Smile
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
basicly all routers with usb and 8 mb flash should be able todo it. the limitation is just the flash space since the handling for iphone tethering is very complex, a big application is used inside the firmware to deal with it. i did not yet enable it for all since i need to check all device for supporting it. so devices like the DIR825 rev v1, netgear wndr4700v4 are comming into my mind which do already support it. but they having alot of flash space. the wndr3700v4 has 128 mb flash for example.

here a list i collected quickly (may not be complete)
broadcom k26 giga builds do all support iphone tethering
tplink wndr4900
dlink dir825 c1
buffalo wzr g450
buffalo wzr ag300nh
buffalo wzr g300nh (rev 1 and rev2)
tplink wdr2543
netgear wndr3700v4

and all more professional boards like x86, laguna, cambria, avila

some more like the linksys wrt160nl will support it soon. still need to hand optimize the tethering stuff for smaller size

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you have any update on supporting iPhone Tethering on the WRT160NL again?

I'm using the older build with support at the moment but I cannot get it to work with my new iPhone 5, my iPhone 4S works fine on the older build.

Thanks
joy2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:03    Post subject: iPhone USB tethering working Reply with quote
Just to let you know that recent releases of DDWRT have made iPhone USB tethering working. At least on my ASUS N66U (r25544) and iPhone5 IOS 8.1.1.

Apparently Brainslayer has updated iPhone Ethernet driver.

The firmware I use:
dd-wrt.v24-25544_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U

One benefit is I am able to use IOS connectivity call handoff while USB tethering. USB tethering spares the iPhone wifi connection, which I connect to the DDWRT router wifi. Hence I can make and take phone calls on my iPad which also connects to the same wifi network. Hence at home I virtually have a 9.7 inch iPhone.

Beats the iPhone 6 plus.

Any question, just reply and I am ready to help.
chri24
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

have you got tethering working with wifi client connect to ipad or connected with USB?

With wifi client i get it to work, but not with usb.

i have an
Router Model TPLINK TL-WDR3600 v1
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/02/14) std - build 25527
Kernel Version Linux 3.10.61 #4089 Tue Dec 2 03:47:30 CET 2014 mips

Not sure if USB tether with iphone/ipad should work with this setup.

thanks
Chris
joy2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got iphone 5 usb tethered to my router. Wasn't able to do that with older firmware. Wifi tether to anything has always been working. Usb tether to PC has always been working.

If iphone usb tether to router is what you seek, try the latest ddwrt firmware. They recently updated iphone driver in ddwrt.

chri24 wrote:
Hello,

have you got tethering working with wifi client connect to ipad or connected with USB?

With wifi client i get it to work, but not with usb.

i have an
Router Model TPLINK TL-WDR3600 v1
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/02/14) std - build 25527
Kernel Version Linux 3.10.61 #4089 Tue Dec 2 03:47:30 CET 2014 mips

Not sure if USB tether with iphone/ipad should work with this setup.

thanks
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: