r7000 a good idea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
MicroMonkey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:08    Post subject: r7000 a good idea? Reply with quote
I am replacing my old linksys 54gl, and I wanted to check and verify that I can use this router to replace it with the configuration I have currently. I have 2 linksys GL's set as an AP and a repeater bridge. I need to replace the main AP cuz it cant seem to handle all the traffic any more. Does the firmware allow me to set that r7000 up in the same config so I can replace the current linksys AP? I dont want to spend 170 bucks on that thing if it wont operate in the same fashion. Thanks for any advice
Sponsor
cml750
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:00    Post subject: Re: r7000 a good idea? Reply with quote
MicroMonkey wrote:
I am replacing my old linksys 54gl, and I wanted to check and verify that I can use this router to replace it with the configuration I have currently. I have 2 linksys GL's set as an AP and a repeater bridge. I need to replace the main AP cuz it cant seem to handle all the traffic any more. Does the firmware allow me to set that r7000 up in the same config so I can replace the current linksys AP? I dont want to spend 170 bucks on that thing if it wont operate in the same fashion. Thanks for any advice

You should be able to do anything you did with the older Linksys and more. Also, you may not even need your repeater bridges with the R7000 the wifi is so strong. I get a strong signal to all areas of my house and yard with my R7000. I used to have to use a repeater but was able to do away with it after switching to the R7000. If you get an R7000, you may want to check out the threads concerning the new wifi drivers and reboot issues. The reboot issues can be avoided by using Kong build 24345 with the old wifi drivers. Most everyone seems to find that version stable.

Note: The reboot issue has to do with the Broadcom wifi drivers and not DDWRT itself. The DDWRT heirarchy is waiting for updates from Broadcom that should make builds later than 24345 stable for everyone
MicroMonkey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you cml750 for the reply. I think I will go ahead and buy the router. I use a motorola AP, so the wireless part of the router isnt what I am really needing, I need the thing to be able to handle 8 computers, 1 server, and random multiples of wireless devices like smart phones. The moto is a wireless N, but everything routes to my old GL router, and it locks up quite alot now that everyone has smart phones here at my house, not to mention a PLEX media streaming server. My poor router cant handle the traffic lol. Im just upgrading things as I go to keep up with demand since everything connects to the net anymore. Also, another question, can you turn the radio off in that router? I will want it to able to be turned off since I use a POE motorola AP. Thanks again for the advice
MicroMonkey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
also, do you have a link to the firmware that is considered the most stable for the r7000?
madi123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
MicroMonkey wrote:
also, do you have a link to the firmware that is considered the most stable for the r7000?

The latest with OLDD (no reboots issue)
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC-Arm/24345M/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD_OLDD.bin

Some people also suggest 23900 OLDD
mr.shimpy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
The R7000 is not a good idea, if you want to run third party firmware on it, because it contains hardware for which no open source driver exists.
tsynik
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
mr.shimpy wrote:
The R7000 is not a good idea, if you want to run third party firmware on it, because it contains hardware for which no open source driver exists.

But linux drivers available from vendor and open source port exist. Which hardware (by your point) is better when Broadcom? Atheros? ))) Performance wise too Wink
alitech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have just gone ahead and purchased the r7000 today after visiting this site. If general support has been finished for this router, was it still ok to purchase this?

Also, is it true that I will only ever get 360MB throughput? Is that with the 5Ghz spectrum?

As shown here:

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DD-WRT_on_R7000

Whilst the router is fast, potential users should be aware that IPv4 NAT routing throughput tops out at 450Mbit on latest Netgear stock firmware, and at 360Mbit on DD-WRT with default configuration (no overclocking), or 425Mbit with a 20% overclock.
boochi99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
LAN to LAN speed is gigabit. WAN to LAN is currently about 1/3 of that.
cml750
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
MicroMonkey wrote:
Thank you cml750 for the reply. I think I will go ahead and buy the router. I use a motorola AP, so the wireless part of the router isnt what I am really needing, I need the thing to be able to handle 8 computers, 1 server, and random multiples of wireless devices like smart phones. The moto is a wireless N, but everything routes to my old GL router, and it locks up quite alot now that everyone has smart phones here at my house, not to mention a PLEX media streaming server. My poor router cant handle the traffic lol. Im just upgrading things as I go to keep up with demand since everything connects to the net anymore. Also, another question, can you turn the radio off in that router? I will want it to able to be turned off since I use a POE motorola AP. Thanks again for the advice

My R7000 handles a family of four with teenage kids who have friends over all the time who connect to our wifi. We have several different computers, smart phones, tablets, multiple Playstations, X-Box's,multiple Chromecast, etc.... and it has never given me a bit of trouble.

As for your speed question, my personal laptop only has dual band wireless N but I always connect at 300 Mbps on either the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands. We bought my daughter a laptop on black Friday that has wireless AC. I have not used it much but it connected around 800 Mbps (can't remember the exact number) when I was setting it up for her.

BTW - Another great feature on the R7000 that you did not have with the older Linksys is USB. You can enable USB and use Samba to attach a hard drive for a NAS(Network Attached Storage) accessible from any computer or device connected to your network. You can also use miniDLNA to turn that hard drive into a media server. I did this and also took the time to digitize all the movies we had and placed them on my NAS so I can now stream movies to any device attached to my network.

Last edited by cml750 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 23:37; edited 1 time in total
alitech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I think I follow, it's my broadband speed that may be limited to 360mb max. Well I am on 152mb right now so I am guessing that won't be a problem them and I should still be able to utilise the router functions to their max..

Correct me if I am wrong please.
cml750
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
alitech wrote:
Ok I think I follow, it's my broadband speed that may be limited to 360mb max. Well I am on 152mb right now so I am guessing that won't be a problem them and I should still be able to utilise the router functions to their max..

Correct me if I am wrong please.

Yes, I believe that is what they were referring to. It is not a problem in the USA.
jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dunno the reboot issue seems like a huge deal breaker for me and I'm thinking of returning mine. I'm running 24345 OLDD and this works fine and does not reboot but the NEWD firmware has some fixes I want and it does not look like we will see a new stable build for it any time soon. I actually do not have the reboot issue with the enw firmware and the devices I own, but when guest come over it a totally different story.

Unless boardcom gives us the fix majority will be stuck with 24345 until Kong decides to release OLDD firmware which is unlikely or boardcom gets off there butt.

I got this router cheap on black friday and if I can get the Asus AC 1900 router around the same price I will switch.
justyourimage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
jebise101 wrote:
Dunno the reboot issue seems like a huge deal breaker for me and I'm thinking of returning mine. I'm running 24345 OLDD and this works fine and does not reboot but the NEWD firmware has some fixes I want and it does not look like we will see a new stable build for it any time soon. I actually do not have the reboot issue with the enw firmware and the devices I own, but when guest come over it a totally different story.

Unless boardcom gives us the fix majority will be stuck with 24345 until Kong decides to release OLDD firmware which is unlikely or boardcom gets off there butt.

I got this router cheap on black friday and if I can get the Asus AC 1900 router around the same price I will switch.

Good luck with that as far as I understand it it 's the Driver and not the Device as in you will experience the same thing with similar Devices from ASUS. At least when you're planning to run the NEWD DD-WRT Builds.

wl0_ampdu=off is all you need as a workaround. The range of the 5G band should be plenty to get high performance within a medium range - the rest of the devices don't really need ultra high bandwidth on the 2.4GHZ band so this should be fine for most for the time being until - in 2 years Broadcom decides to make their Driver public to us.

My contributions:

[Script] Adblock Plus Filters for Privoxy (without Optware)
[Privoxy-Template] PVXY Modern (officially integrated in DD-WRT starting Build r25541)

My Devices:

Netgear R7000 running DD-WRT BS 25648 with wl0_ampdu=off as Router
ASUS AC66U running DD-WRT Kong 23900 OLDD downclocked to 500 MHz as Repeater
ASUS N66U running 374.43_2 MerlinWRT with BL1.09 downclocked to 500MHz as WET for my Mainmachine
Linksys E2000 running Tomato v121 as WET for my Synology DS214play and Minix Neo X7 Mini
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 16:17    Post subject: Re: r7000 a good idea? Reply with quote
MicroMonkey wrote:

IMO, YES to the R7000. It was Kong's support that made me upgrade, plus he's part of the DDWRT development team. As for the wireless issues there are work arounds. Broadcom's 1st and formost is protecting it's bread & butter by supporting it's PAYING customers (Netgear, Linksys/Cisco, etc..) of these routers. We are are not priority.

But at the same time Broadcom must realize that these manufacturer's get many of their sales just because of 3rd party support like DDWRT. I have 3 R7000s just because of DDWRT.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: