soldering iron watt and tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
lilmister
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 19:36    Post subject: soldering iron watt and tips Reply with quote
I need a new soldering iron so I can use it for debricking routers and mods. Im wondering is a 15w would be best? I have a old radio shack 30w and I messed up some tiny copper pads, or lifted them off trying to get some melted solder on it.

Also as far as soldering iron tips, any recommendations for a type of tip? Like a thin pencil tip? Radio shack has a variaty of them.

I have flux, wire, and solder remover wick so im good on those parts
Sponsor
arssant
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:35    Post subject: Re: soldering iron watt and tips Reply with quote
lilmister wrote:
I need a new soldering iron so I can use it for debricking routers and mods. Im wondering is a 15w would be best? I have a old radio shack 30w and I messed up some tiny copper pads, or lifted them off trying to get some melted solder on it.

Also as far as soldering iron tips, any recommendations for a type of tip? Like a thin pencil tip? Radio shack has a variaty of them.

I have flux, wire, and solder remover wick so im good on those parts

Hi.

For pins and pads on linksys or asus to connect serials, and jtag port, I use my old JBC 25w( lot of available tip to put on it, usually for pin I use 1.0 or 1.2 mm).
For tinny pads, I use a 24v aoyue solder station.( china one)

http://store.reparacionlcd.com/Herramientas/JBC-3302056

http://www.thebgastore.com/Aoyue-938-Soldering-Station-220V
lilmister
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the suggestion. i definitely need a pencil tip like the one in your first link. my 40w is too hot and my skills suck so i lifted the copper pads a few times working on a few routers
lilmister
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
i used a old board and using flux and my new 30 watt iron I'm getting solder balls. I read the solder balls are from low heat but I'm afraid of lifting pads again. Instead of melting solder like tinning a copper wire. Should i remove old solder first then re tin the area i need to connect? I use rosin core solder. I tried messing with another section of the board what does the manufacturers use that is so thick and "pasty" like. I use both wire removal wick and a pump out the old solder. any tips appreciated
arssant
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
lilmister wrote:
i used a old board and using flux and my new 30 watt iron I'm getting solder balls. I read the solder balls are from low heat but I'm afraid of lifting pads again. Instead of melting solder like tinning a copper wire. Should i remove old solder first then re tin the area i need to connect? I use rosin core solder. I tried messing with another section of the board what does the manufacturers use that is so thick and "pasty" like. I use both wire removal wick and a pump out the old solder. any tips appreciated

Hi.

My JBC model is 30S, but powered with 25W. 30w should be ok... more carefully with timing, don't spend to much time over the circuit board.
I use to apply some new solder over the pad and remove all, with air compressor or solder wick ( before I apply some flux or solder paste ), new one and the existing one from the circuit board. And use new solder to connect pins and wires on the board.
lilmister
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
i see. ill take some pics of some of the issues i had when i start practicing again. Is rosin core solder fine for circuit boards?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: