Some Important Questions About R7000, Kongs Firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
bp123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just want to say thanks for all the info and threads.. Been reading all night to figure out exactly what build and how to install it on a new R7000. And I succeeded Cool

This thread was one of the most helpful/consolidated ones I found in regards to general info on the Kong builds and installing them. I also stumbled upon the below guide in case any other DD-WRT noobs like me are looking for a decent walk through before they dive in.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/?ALLSTEPS
Sponsor
suberman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 22:34    Post subject: Just bought R7000... Reply with quote
I went out last night and bought a Netgear R7000 specifically to flash DD-WRT on it. So far, I am too chicken to begin.

The pc I use is a Linux os - Ubuntu 14.04. This is what has me concerned; that I can do the downloading of Kong files using Ubuntu instead of Windows without problems.

I am looking for exact instructions of how to flash DD-WRT using Ubuntu.

Any advice, help or direction would be much welcomed, Thank you so much!
bp123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obviously I'm no DD-WRT expert but I don't think the process would be any different for Linux as opposed to Windows because all of the work is done through the browser and currently installed firmware. You just use the update function when logged into the router to flash a different firmware over the existing one. Follow the guide I posted.

Edit:
I installed the latest Kong build available (not the test ones but from the list of released betas) and I havn't had any problems yet. Set my router up in client mode to provide hard wired internet to a NAS that needed to be located a distance away from the modem/Wi-Fi router and this allowed me to do it with a separate sub-net so it wasn't visible to the existing router(and network) that doesn't belong to me.
MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:44    Post subject: Re: Just bought R7000... Reply with quote
suberman wrote:
I went out last night and bought a Netgear R7000 specifically to flash DD-WRT on it. So far, I am too chicken to begin.

The pc I use is a Linux os - Ubuntu 14.04. This is what has me concerned; that I can do the downloading of Kong files using Ubuntu instead of Windows without problems.

I am looking for exact instructions of how to flash DD-WRT using Ubuntu.

Any advice, help or direction would be much welcomed, Thank you so much!

Very little difference between how this is done on Windows versus Linux. Just use your favorite browser and go to the URL of Kong's repository, and download what you need to get the usual way (the initial dd-wrt flash image, and the flash image for the version of dd-wrt that you want to end up with). Kong generally has checksums with his firmware images, so that you can verify that your download was correct. Always a good thing.

When you're talking to the router, again, just use your browser, and put "192.168.1.1" into the location/address bar, assuming that your router is still at the default IP address. Then you can log into the Netgear firmware using the credentials "admin"/"password". And just follow the directions in the tutorial.

You'll be using your browser for most everything, and if, for example, you happen to use the Chrome or Firefox browser on both Windows and Linux, then your browser interface is the same on both. Either way, browsers try to be independent of the platform they're running on.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
another little summary of why we should be flashing/testing/bug reporting on the main slayer builds... complete with timeline examples and such...

Detail driving Observation:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=945838#945838
^^ that has turned into quite the lively debate, lol

i.e. the kong personal test builds (here http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/ ) have a very limited useful life span, based on timeline of builds available and SVN commits. Basically the next BS build makes them obsolete.

That said the kong repos are full of goodies... aging, historical goodies Smile (I find these especially useful for the old K26 stuff)
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE

Last edited by jheide44 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 17:04; edited 1 time in total
Keomas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
jheide44 wrote:
morinzo wrote:
What was Kong's last stable build for the R7000? Link?

As stated above, Kong is no longer maintaining a separate dd-wrt fork. He is contributing to the main slayer builds now.

There was also a debate on the word stable vs. Beta.

So technically the current Slayer is also Kong's latest, as of this moment you could try this...

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/01-20-2015-r25974/netgear-r7000/

The new builds will show here
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/

To your question, Kongs last beta was posted here...
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC-Arm/25090M/

25100 was the same thing just with some debugging added back in.

Also Kong's last on the R7000 was still in process (waiting on a driver update to fix reboot issues, etc.). I.e. not the "stable" level of maturity his builds achieved for older K26 devices

Hope this shorter summary of the thread detail ^^up there^^ helps.
Sorry if i'm asking a stupid question here: If i already installed the dd-wrt firmware do i have to use the chk file and the bin file each time i'm upgrading or just the bin file? Thnx in advance!
MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Keomas wrote:
Sorry if i'm asking a stupid question here: If i already installed the dd-wrt firmware do i have to use the chk file and the bin file each time i'm upgrading or just the bin file? Thnx in advance!

No, you only have to use the "Initial" .chk flash image when you go from Netgear stock firmware to dd-wrt firmware. After that, as long as you're flashing/upgrading from one version of dd-wrt to another dd-wrt firmware version, you don't need to use the "Initial" .chk image, just use the dd-wrt .bin image. Of course, if you go back to Netgear stock firmware, and then come back to dd-wrt again, then you'll need to flash the "Initial" .chk image again.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: