Is this 2 router setup possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
burgertime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 21:12    Post subject: Is this 2 router setup possible? Reply with quote
I've been looking around for a while now and I can't seem to figure out if this setup is possible. Before I buy a second router, I wanted the community to weigh in, making sure I'm not making a mistake.

I've got a Linksys E3000 right now which serves everything in my home both wired and wireless. I would like (3) machines to connect exclusively through a VPN. These machines are a windows 7 computer and (2) raspberry Pi units.

I'd like to get a second router (I think a tp-link wdr3600 - supported by dd-wrt) and use it as my VPN router using openVPN. So, I'm wondering if it is possible to have the OpenVPN router connected to my E3000 and have everything work in harmony? That would be to say that my 3 VPN machines all connect through the OpenVPN router exclusively and the rest just stay connected to the E3000.

Hope I'm making sense. I've seen numerous setups which use(for arguments sake) router 1 as 192.168.1.1 and vpn router 2 as 192.168.2.1 - the vpn router connected from its WAN port to any of the LAN ports of router 1. Seems legit but I'm wondering about OpenVPN. I don't really know the specifics of OpenVPN vs pptp or ipsec but I keep seeing connection complaints when referring to pptp and ipsec so I was thinking OpenVPN was the way to roll.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes its possible. since u want a qca router, openvpn (setting up the routers i know how, but openvpn config i dont) ur better off with the wdr4900v1 (NOT v2!), openvpn takes cpu & the wdr4900 v1 has a great cpu compared to the one u listed, how much speed are u expecting through the vpn

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

burgertime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for reply! In terms of speed, I suppose I would want as much as possible. I've got a 15mbit connection. I know when using a vpn, due to encryption, throughput is reduced.

I'm not stuck on any one router. I just wanted something cheap if I could. I don't really understand the difference between openvpn and pptp, etc. So I'm not committed to either. What is your suggestion? I just want to use the vpn connection to stream TV torrents, etc.

Thanks again!
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
i still stand by the wdr4900 v1 then, 15mbps through encrypted vpn + torrents (lots of connections) takes cpu, the wdr4900 v1 is a good price for the hardware in it, even in canada where they arent available the import charge was only about $5, if thats outside the budget then mostly any router with the QCA 720mhz cpu should be okay too (such as 1043nd v2, MUST be v2. v1 is horrible!)

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

burgertime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very good. I thank you for your time and input! I'll have a look at that router today. Thanks!
burgertime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I noticed this router seems difficult to find. There is (1) on Amazon and I'm concerned that I will be sent v2 or something like that. Is there a similarly powered router you might recommend which would be currently available in a box store? That way I can look at the box and be certain of which version/build I am purchasing?

I'm looking at your sig and I see the Netgear WNDR4300 on Best Buy's site - not sure why you've got those routers in your sig but I'm assuming they are all good choices in your opinion being that the TP-link is there?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
theyre good but i dont use vpn much other than for remote access to the network, try look for 1043nd v2

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

g17jimmy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you already have wifi at the locations and want reliable speed, you might be better off loading DD-WRT on a PC for the vpn function, or just loading linux on PC's with OpenVPN at each end. It will consume more power than a wifi router, but will probably be able to push more data. Just an alternative to think about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: