No internet with pppoe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
qq
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 23:27    Post subject: No internet with pppoe Reply with quote
Hi

I have this situation:

As I'm not in a private home, I don't have physical access to the modem/router/... my DD WRT router is connected to. The people here can't even tell me is it a modem or a router, or the IP of it.

I only have LAN cable from the wall.

Now I read here that I should

Code:
ifconfig `nvram get wan_ifname`:0 10.0.0.X netmask 255.255.255.0

Code:
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o `nvram get wan_ifname` -j MASQUERADE

however I'm not sure what is the modem IP since the default gateway (which should be the modem IP anyway) is 0.0.0.0. on my PC when I connect without the DD WRT router (the internet is working fine then).

Here is the setup

I want to note that the WAN IP's last digit changes sometimes (on PC too when I'm connected without the DD WRT router)

Could somebody tell me what's going on here?
Thank you very much.

edit:
Now I did ipconfig/all instead of ipconfig and I see that the DNS is 10.150.150.1, maybe that's the IP of the modem?

However if I set nvram get wan_ifname`:0 10.150.150.111, maybe somebody in this building has or will have that IP? That would probably be a problem then?
Sponsor
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
qq wrote:
...I don't have physical access to the modem/router...

were you able to pass PPPOE authentication over to your DD-WRT device, given you do not have access to it? Also given your description do you even have the PPPOE authentication details (username/pwd) from the DSL ISP?

Once upon a time I had to change settings/config on my 2 wire modem/router wifi a/b device. Only then would my dd-wrt device(plugged into the "AT&T modem/router give away") have to/be able to handle WAN facing PPPOE authentication...

Can you describe the general setup & why you don't have access to the modem combo device?

Also that device you don't have access to, exactly what is it? you may need access & to attempt to set it to pass PPPOE authentication over to DD-WRT (but wouldn't that force you to let all other users onto your network? at a minimum you would have cut off their WAN/LAN connection.)

depending on your replies, your fact pattern (why no access) may lend itself toward another setup entirely...

assuming a dorm or apartment situation:
why can't you reset your dd-wrt device, leave wan connection = "automatic configuration DHCP" and create your own little private network behind the modem/router combo... just using your RJ45 jack on the wall. Are you trying to achieve a DDNS config? if so for what purpose?

it has been so long since I was on DSL, perhaps I'm useless... perhaps there are others that are currently on DSL that could be of more assistance?

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
qq
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
jheide44 wrote:
qq wrote:
...I don't have physical access to the modem/router...

were you able to pass PPPOE authentication over to your DD-WRT device, given you do not have access to it? Also given your description do you even have the PPPOE authentication details (username/pwd) from the DSL ISP?

I don't have PHYSICAL access to the modem (because it's in a room I don't have access to) but sure I have PPPOE username and password and it works fine when I connect to the modem from PC (without DD WRT).

jheide44 wrote:

Can you describe the general setup & why you don't have access to the modem combo device?

I can't access the device because this is not a home-connection. I'm in a building where I share that internet connection with other people.

However I know it is possible to use a router with that network.

To make this clear,

I have physical access to the DD-WRT router which is mine and I can do everything with it.
I don't know what is the device that LAN cable is coming from.

Thanks for the reply
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
My bad... I am not familiar with that type of PPPOE deployment. (And it has been many years since I studied/was tested on the OSI model... I am so old, we learned 10BASE2 & 5 lol... Old dog new tricks)

Good luck!

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: