Configuring DHCPd to ignore ISP DNS servers and domains

jlsddmar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 20:45    Post subject: Configuring DHCPd to ignore ISP DNS servers and domains Reply with quote
Hi -

I have DNSMasq disabled and am trying to configure DHCPd to give out my local search domain and server addresses, but not the ones provided by my ISP. However, I only have 2 internal DNS servers, and unless I provide an invalid 3rd option, one of my ISP's servers gets populated in the 3rd spot. Additionally, when I look at resolv.conf on the router itself, I see my ISP's domain appear as the first domain searched. Ideally I wouldn't want this to show up.

I had been solving this issue with DNSMasq options previously, but turned DNSMasq off because name resolutions done locally from my router seemed to not resolve correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Derek
Sponsor
jlsddmar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi -

I noticed that as soon as I check "Use DNSMasq for DHCP", the resolv.conf settings on my router change to only have 192.168.1.1 in the server list, even if I add the dhcp options. That's not necessarily a deal breaker, but name resolution from the router seemed to stop working at that point, and I'm hoping to be able to resolve correctly.

Thanks,
Derek
jlsddmar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, I still see the ISP's search domain in my resolv.conf after making the change. I have "Used domain" set to LAN & WLAN, but the WAN domain still appears there.
jlsddmar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi -

Enabling DNSMasq for DHCP does in fact change the resolv.conf file on the router. Use DNSMasq for DNS is disabled. Granted, it may be an issue with the GUI, but the box is definitely unchecked. I'm using 22000M.

Either way, I should be able to prevent my router from attempting to look up names with my ISP's search suffix.

Right now, my generated resolv.conf has 3 lines:

search <ISP suffix>
search <my suffix>
nameserver 192.168.1.1

"Use DNSMasq for DHCP" is checked, "Use DNSMasq for DNS" isn't.

Thanks,
Derek
jlsddmar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi -

Any ideas on how I can get name resolution working from my router? Still haven't been able to get this fully configured.

Thanks,
Derek
jlsddmar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 13:40    Post subject: DNSMasq configuration Reply with quote
Hi -

Any ideas on how I could configure DNSMasq to allow names to be resolved correctly from the router?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: