ASUS RTN16 Mod Help !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
007AbiR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:47    Post subject: ASUS RTN16 Mod Help ! Reply with quote
Dear friends,

Hi, recently I got an old RTN16 and I am planing to mod it for DD-WRT. I am not very families with router modifications so please bear with me.

01. First of all, if you could please tell me name of the antenna cable inside, is it SMA to RF adapter or pigtail? Two of my cable has broken connector (at motherboard end) so I must replace them.

02. Should I hotglue the motherboard end connectors (as it was originally) or just normally plugging in will work?

03. Should I put a heatsink on the chip with metal shield on it? The one besides main chip with heatsink.

04. And any suggestion on selecting a good heatsink would be great, if you could kindly point me to some direction. I want passive cooling.

Thank you so much for your time. I am new here so go easy on me .. Have a nice day Smile
Sponsor
007AbiR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think its UFL female to RP-SMA Male connector .. could anyone please confirm it?
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
since nobody else has replied...

I am fairly certain you are correct with the "U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA" cable. I've added these "pigtail" wires to other linksys ashtray units and it has been fairly standard on the PCB side...

using this image does it help you?
(i.e. relative size of the two ends of the cable)

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
007AbiR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank You jheide44, Yes thats exactly what I am looking for.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
007AbiR wrote:

Glad it helped. you can get those relatively cheap on eBay or amazon.

Good luck!

Assumptions:
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
007AbiR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
jheide44 wrote:
007AbiR wrote:

Good luck!

Thanks man, I'll visit the local telecom market this weekend and hopefully they will have those cables. By the way, if you could please advice me on a couple of things.

01. Do I need to put hotglue on the antenna connectors (on motherboard) ?

02. Is it necessary to put a heatsink on Radio chip? The chip with a metal shield on. If so, should I remove the metal shield or put the heatsink on it? Also do I need HS on memory chips?

I don't plan to put much pressure on this, or overclock it. Just normal use, perhaps using it as a torrent server with an external hdd. Will put a laptop cooler under it so hopefully passive heatsink cooling would be enough.

Thanks again.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
007AbiR wrote:
jheide44 wrote:
007AbiR wrote:

Good luck!

Thanks man, I'll visit the local telecom market this weekend and hopefully they will have those cables. By the way, if you could please advice me on a couple of things.

01. Do I need to put hotglue on the antenna connectors (on motherboard) ?

02. Is it necessary to put a heatsink on Radio chip? The chip with a metal shield on. If so, should I remove the metal shield or put the heatsink on it? Also do I need HS on memory chips?

I don't plan to put much pressure on this, or overclock it. Just normal use, perhaps using it as a torrent server with an external hdd. Will put a laptop cooler under it so hopefully passive heatsink cooling would be enough.

Thanks again.

just my $0.02...

I'd stay away from hot glue... the OEM on my R6300v2 put a bit of tape over the connectors. Don't have a good image of that side of the board on my phone right now, but it was cloth tape, almost like 1st aid tape from the drugstore. keep in mind these connectors are on the "bottom" of my board so there were no other IC's to worry about.

I don't know how your exact PCB is laid out, just use your best judgement.

that said, if they kind of "snap" in place and don't fall out (just by a slight movement), I wouldn't worry about glue or tape. especially since you have the skills to open unit again to check if there are ever radio issues

i haven't bothered putting heat sinks or fan mods in place since the WRT54G days when all the chips were exposed (i.e. passive cooling was easy to add).

Since I don't OC or boost radio tx power beyond default, I don't worry about it.

If the chip is exposed and easy to get at couldn't hurt, if it is "buried", i'd leave it alone (leave OEM passive cooling in place).

but your call Smile

Assumptions:
HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: