Suggested Router(s) for LEAST HASSLE dd-wrt firmware update

Kev100
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:18    Post subject: Suggested Router(s) for LEAST HASSLE dd-wrt firmware update Reply with quote
All,

Am wondering if there is a suggested model router(s) that will accept the DD-WRT firmware fairly easily / reliably. It would not necessarily need to be N...as long as it was at least G. It's okay if it's an earlier model since most are usually available somewhere online.

I'm aware that whenever updating / changing firmware, something can always go wrong ...but am just hoping that there are a few models out there that will kind of be "one and done."

REASON: I recently got a router that is on the DD-WRT compatible list (a model I was familiar with), but when I started the firmware update process, I found out that this model would need to have its firmware downgraded to an earlier version.....and to do that (going to an EARLIER version stock).....I had to use a special process via a TFTP command.....but then, learned if that method did not work....it would have to be done via a special cable and software utility...and of course in my case...the TFTP method didn't work. So I stopped at that point because it just wasn't worth the hassle to use that particular router (got it cheap used).

Thanks very much.
Sponsor
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
fwiw...
from my personal experience (devices listed in my signature) there have been almost NO routers that needed hardware/jtag type skills for flashing

(except maybe the WRT54G-TM, but that was only for initial flash)

also, any build you flash that is working for your fact pattern/meeting your needs can be "one and done"

depending on your budget i'd recommend anything from a WRT54G (L or v4) to the Netgear R7000 ARM dual core device... "good" build observations linked in my siggy if you are interested.

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
Kev100
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:34    Post subject: That's for the Recommendations Reply with quote
jheide44,

Thanks for those recommendations. I'll start looking for one of those models....will probably buy one this weekend on the second-hand market.

I may have simply "beaten the odds" in that the first router model I chose for dd-wrt just happened to be one of the very few on the approved list that often requires first being rolled back to an earlier stock firmware, so it will simply be possible to update to dd-wrt. And there-in lies a whole other set of potential problems.

The model I tried was a netgear wnr2000. The new models are v5. But only v2 and v3 are dd-wrt compat. However, if those have anything over 1.1 firmware, even they have to be rolled back....which requires finding the older version (hopefully it's available) ...then using the tftp command to do the rollback....which will hopefully work...but may not....and on and on and on.

But, just to verify that I understand....It appears from your post that the current stock firmware is not an issue for any of the models listed in your signature (?). And that the firmware should flash right-out in those models (barring, of course, the potential issues that can always possibly occur whenever updating firmware).

If that's the case, would your suggestion for the most trouble-free firmware update be the WRT-54G ? My primary need is the ability to force all DNS traffic on the network to use the DNS server settings in the router (regardless of the dns settings on the individual PC/tablet/user device). While dd-wrt has plenty of other features, DNS control is the only one needed (which is not available in most stock soho models). As long as the router can be smoothly updated to dd-wrt so DNS control can be implemented, we'll be set.

Thanks
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
no problem...

basically it all depends on your budget.

I'd probably recommend a R7000 (or R6300v2 to save a few dollars) for the extra processing power. (given overwhelming community reports and personal experiences respectively)

also keep an eye on the specs listed here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

the more you ask a device to do the more you benefit from a newer device with "beefier" specs

Also the number of clients managed by the device, and your WAN speed requirements should be considered into your thought/selection process.

Personally, I'd try also stay away from the 2mb flash chip/micro only devices (and any other devices that talk about vxworks in the initial flash process).

Just try to familiarize yourself with the initial flashing process/device specific quirks BEFORE buying the next one Smile you will be happier in the long run.

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: