Unable to get Linksys E1700 working as Repeater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
locutus13
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 18:01    Post subject: Unable to get Linksys E1700 working as Repeater Reply with quote
Greetings,

for the last 6 houres I have been trying (and failing) to convince my Linksys E1700 router (Mediatek MT7620A) with DD-WRT installed to extend the range of my local WLAN.
Neither "repeater" mode nor "repeater-bridge" mode are working and keep stalling the device making it inaccessable via LAN-Ports (WLAN access still works).

I have tried the following tutorials:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater

- I have disabled all encryption on both WLAN devices
- I have matched the channel setting on both devices (and tried different channels)
- I have matched the mode setting on both devices (and tried "mixed", "b", "g" and "n" seperately)
- I have tried reflashing the device with proper 30/30/30 reset multiple times
- I have tried different subnets on both devices
- I have tried different SSIDs on both devices

While "Repeater Bridge" keeps stalling the device on all LAN-Ports (making it inaccessable) the "repeater" mode still offers stable LAN connection to the Linksys-Router - but it will not route into the other subnet or the Internet via the primary router.

I can connect to the WLAN on the other router with the "client" setting but could not get the routing of any packages working with that either.

Can't think of anything else at the moment - anybody got any additional experience and willing to share?

Thank you in advance!
Sponsor
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
You didn't say which DD-WRT build(s) you have tried.
Also, notice this recent bug report (I think it refers to Broadcom only, but I'm not so sure...), do you have the same issue ?
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/4038

tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
ur better off asking in the ralink forum as thats a ralink unit

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

locutus13
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your replies.

I have tried only the latest version I could get via the "router database" = v24sp2 Build 25251

wikidevi.com lists the MT7620 as a WiSOC, thus my confusion. - sorry for asking in the wrong forum.

I will however take a good look at that bug report. Will try older releases later today - or when I find the time - and report back.

Thanks again!
enno_1980
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi locutus13,

can u explain how u installed DD-WRT on the E1700 Router ?
When i do this i get the error message "Wrong Image File. Please restart and try aggain"
I used the Image from Router Database.
warkriss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
locutus13 wrote:
Thank you for your replies.

I have tried only the latest version I could get via the "router database" = v24sp2 Build 25251

wikidevi.com lists the MT7620 as a WiSOC, thus my confusion. - sorry for asking in the wrong forum.

I will however take a good look at that bug report. Will try older releases later today - or when I find the time - and report back.

Thanks again!

I think the guys were hinting at trying a newer build (the ftp in tatsuya's sig)
enno_1980
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
did u install it via Web-Flash ?

can u send me ur Build ?
locutus13
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have now tried rev. 26446 from the latest builds that I had found around March 10th or so.

No joy there either. Also there is quite some instability introduced after I connect to my existing WLAN with the router. (in unbridged mode) The device basically ignores any further connection attempts on any LAN-port. As long as I do not disconnect the LAN-cable it still works - but if I just unplug and replug the LAN-cable the router is no longer reachable - with fixed IP settings.

This happens after a 30/30/30 reset and only changing WLAN to client and connecting to my existing WLAN-Network.

I can only reach the router from the other WLAN-Network. Disableing the WLAN-Connection does not fix the problem. Only a reset via the webinterface or the reset button fixes that problem.

As this is taking too much time and effort for me to fix, I would really like to restore the original stock firmware now, but that won't work for some reason.

I have tried resetting the device again (30/30/30) and flashing the stock FW from the webgui with and without "reset to defaults" option. + waiting 10 min + another 30/30/30
=> DD-WRT remains on the device

I tried (after another 30/30/30) flashing the DD-WRT from the database again (which worked) and then repeating the steps from above.
=> DD-WRT remains on the device

any suggestions?
Jeten
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 16:14    Post subject: Any luck? Reply with quote
I'm about to attempt something similar with the same routers (E1700) and I'm wondering if you had any success. If so, what were you missing?
bharaszti
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
locutus13,
I am facing similar problems with v24sp2 Build 25251 like you.
The router might work properly as an access point (AP mode), but I failed to use it in "Repeater Bridge" or "Client" mode.

I managed to revert my E1700 to original Linksys firmware with following steps:

* Reset to dd-wrt defaults by pressing the reset button for 15 seconds and waiting until the power LED stops blinking, then turn off/on the router (with 10 seconds in-between)

* Press reset button for 20 seconds
* Open http://192.168.1.1 ==> the "Emergency Firmware Update" page will show-up
* Upload original Linksys firmware file
* Wait 10 minutes (in my case the page did not reload, so I couldn't know how long the flashing really takes)
* Open http://192.168.1.1 ==> the Linksys firmware UI will show-up

NOTE: LAN port #2 is working again Smile
nubfury
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
bharaszti wrote:
locutus13,
I am facing similar problems with v24sp2 Build 25251 like you.
The router might work properly as an access point (AP mode), but I failed to use it in "Repeater Bridge" or "Client" mode.

I managed to revert my E1700 to original Linksys firmware with following steps:

* Reset to dd-wrt defaults by pressing the reset button for 15 seconds and waiting until the power LED stops blinking, then turn off/on the router (with 10 seconds in-between)

* Press reset button for 20 seconds
* Open http://192.168.1.1 ==> the "Emergency Firmware Update" page will show-up
* Upload original Linksys firmware file
* Wait 10 minutes (in my case the page did not reload, so I couldn't know how long the flashing really takes)
* Open http://192.168.1.1 ==> the Linksys firmware UI will show-up

NOTE: LAN port #2 is working again Smile

bro,you are a god saver
finally i can restore to original firmware

btw,remember do a hard reset after these step,or the default password might not work
memphissk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:05    Post subject: Ethernet ports not working in repeater mode Reply with quote
Hello, have you somebody working solution why LAN ethernet ports not working? When repeater mode is active LAN ports not trasmitting packets... ???
Thanks in advance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: