Best build for wireless on TL-WDR3600?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:43    Post subject: Best build for wireless on TL-WDR3600? Reply with quote
Im looking to get TWO TL-WDR3600 to make a wireless bridge between them.

What is the best build out there right now for this model?
Sponsor
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
As it is asked very very frequently there is no "best bulid" für router xxx. ddwrt has beta-status so there might be some improvements in later builds but also some issues. Some say, that there is one bulid forward but two steps backwards.

I'm using the WDR3600 too so it is a coincidence that i can tell you my own opinion. I'm using my WDR3600 (V1.5) as the main router and it worked well for me with r24461. After updating with some later builds i bricked it (but could get wit alive with tftp). Now i'm driving r26446 and am satisfied for what i'm using the router. It is the latest build which is available officially at the moment. If you what to inform about the changes in the builds read the timeline or go to:

DD-WRT FIRMWARE CHANGELOG

I read about some issues with wireless briding in this build, so this bulid may not be the best for you! But these problems may also depend on the used router model and/or the chosen bridging mode (or some other parameters), so you can test it and have a look if it works well for you.
riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
mittelhessen wrote:
As it is asked very very frequently there is no "best bulid" für router xxx. ddwrt has beta-status so there might be some improvements in later builds but also some issues. Some say, that there is one bulid forward but two steps backwards.

I'm using the WDR3600 too so it is a coincidence that i can tell you my own opinion. I'm using my WDR3600 (V1.5) as the main router and it worked well for me with r24461. After updating with some later builds i bricked it (but could get wit alive with tftp). Now i'm driving r26446 and am satisfied for what i'm using the router. It is the latest build which is available officially at the moment. If you what to inform about the changes in the builds read the timeline or go to:

DD-WRT FIRMWARE CHANGELOG

I read about some issues with wireless briding in this build, so this bulid may not be the best for you! But these problems may also depend on the used router model and/or the chosen bridging mode (or some other parameters), so you can test it and have a look if it works well for you.

I understand. I was looking for someone with a similar scenario.

I need to setup a repeater bridge so I need stable wireless between both units on the same build.

At home Im running a TLWR1043ND with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/19/12) std (SVN revision 18777) so even if it is a old version, I know wireless is stable so I might see if there is a build for the WDR3600...

BTW, being mission critical, how did you brick it? I want to know to avoid the same mistake.

Thank you
riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank god it is easy to apply with a factory-to-ddwrt.bin file.....My TP-Link I think involved some workarounds.

Ill go ahead and try your build: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/06-23-2014-r24461/tplink_tl-wdr3600v1/

You mentioned you were using "V1.5".....Is there any incompatible version currently with DD-WRT that you know of?
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you want anecdotal evidence, this I can say: builds 26405 and newer are rock stable for me !

Been running the routers in my signature on 26446 for 15 days straight, not a single hiccup on any of them (WNDR3800 running as AP on both 2.4G and 5G with PPPoE WAN. DIR-615 D2 in Repeater mode).

I haven't tried latest 26490, which may also prove equally stable (updated kernels 3.2.68 and 3.10.72 are noteworthy). But YMMV.

riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
What I need is this:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge#Qualcomm_Atheros
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
riahc3 wrote:

BTW, being mission critical, how did you brick it? I want to know to avoid the same mistake.

I just flashed a version later than r24461 and before r26446 over ddwrts webinterface.

riahc3 wrote:

You mentioned you were using "V1.5".....Is there any incompatible version currently with DD-WRT that you know of?

V1.5 is the hardware-version of my WDR3600. I don't know if the hardware-version does matter, but i only can answer for this hardware-version! I already listed the versions which bricked my router.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: