can't flash r26138 on Buffalo WHR-1166D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
aumel99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:44    Post subject: can't flash r26138 on Buffalo WHR-1166D Reply with quote
It seems there is a missing flash image to be able to use standard dd-wrt images on buffalo whr-1166D (r26138 and older images are rejected by original firmware)

As I had similar experiences with the Buffalo whr-600D I assume there needs to be the buffalo branded dd-wrt image first before the standard image can be used

Does someone have more information about this issue?

I look forward to get any news,

regards, aumel
Sponsor
aumel99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 20:47    Post subject: Is this community dead? Reply with quote
Me and others posted now several times about this issue about the Buffalo WHR-1166D but no one with knowledge was ever answering?
What can we do?

Aumel
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see the same thing on my WHR-300HP2. I opened a TRAC ticket on it.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/4031

I have to go back to a OEM FW first...then upgrade my unit to a newer firmware-us.bin file.

Maybe this model is the same...I don't have one or I'd test it.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gonna cancel this ticket...I figured out what's going on.

the firmware-us.bin file is for initial flash...once that is on the unit...then you flash the buffalo_whr_300hp2-webflash.bin file to it.

This last file has the HDR0 header in it for updating from one dd-wrt build to the next....the firmware-us.bin file does not.

So....use the firmware-us.bin file for initial flash...then in your case use the buffalo_whr_1166d-webflash.bin for each update after that.

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:04    Post subject: WHR-1166D seems to be different to the WHR-300-HP2 Reply with quote
Hi redhawk,

thanks for the response but there seems to be a different issue with the images provided for the WHR-1166D.
I tried now all bin files from 03-05-2015-r26446 › buffalo_whr_1166d (firmware-eu, firmware-us, firmware-jp, firmware.uimage)
and the all produce a "invalid firmware message" if you try to upload them on the original firmware (buffalo 1.6)

aumel
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you should go back to a previous stock firmware, which doesn't do checks for invalid non-stock firmware. And then try from that.
spdlef
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
I think you should go back to a previous stock firmware, which doesn't do checks for invalid non-stock firmware. And then try from that.

I tried all stock firmwares for whr-1166dhp from 1.01->1.4->1.6->1.7 by webui, but all produce a "invalid firmware message" too.
And tftp method gets the same result.
1.01 stock firmware is the earliest firmware I get from Internet.
Any suggestion?Thanks in advance.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try tftp again, but make sure you use it correctly.
You might try PumpKIN: http://kin.klever.net/pumpkin
I had good results with it.

spdlef
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
Try tftp again, but make sure you use it correctly.
You might try PumpKIN: http://kin.klever.net/pumpkin
I had good results with it.

can you help to provide your steps about how to install whr-1166dhp with ddwrt?
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
spdlef wrote:

WHR-1166DHP seems to be a Japanese model. DD-WRT supports only WHR-1166D, I don't know if there's a big difference and if the 1166DHP accepts the firmware from 1166D.

First of all a disclaimer: I don't own this router and I'm only trying to help, so if you brick it, I'm not responsible. You should always make an informed decision before starting. I would first read more, e.g.:
http://secure.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=906485
http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2012/07/installing-dd-wrt-firmware-on-japanese.html

Download and install PumpKIN 2.7.3 from http://kin.klever.net/pumpkin/binaries
Use it to TFTP the earliest factory firmware for WHR-1166DHP
Then try flashing factory-to-ddwrt, but honestly I don't know which version you should begin with, in the first place (25139 for the 1166D model, as suggested in the "Supported Devices" link ?)

spdlef
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
spdlef wrote:

WHR-1166DHP seems to be a Japanese model. DD-WRT supports only WHR-1166D, I don't know if there's a big difference and if the 1166DHP accepts the firmware from 1166D.

First of all a disclaimer: I don't own this router and I'm only trying to help, so if you brick it, I'm not responsible. You should always make an informed decision before starting. I would first read more, e.g.:
http://secure.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=906485
http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2012/07/installing-dd-wrt-firmwa
Then try flashing factory-to-ddwrt, but honestly I don't know which version you should begin with, in the first place (25139 for the 1166D model, as suggested in the "Supported Devices" link ?)

I cant find the factorytoddwrt.bin both for whr1166dhp or whr1166d.
aumel99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:28    Post subject: same experience as spdlef with WHR-1166D Reply with quote
Hi folks,

I can confirm that I have the same situation as spdlef with a german model WHR-1166D

I have tried as well tftp... no chance... I think we have here just a missing link. I had the same experience with an older model of buffalo (WHR-600D) were it was only possible to use images from the dd-wrt site after I insalled the buffalo branded image from the buffalo download page. So I assume there needs to be this first image first.

Do someone know about this image?

Aumel99
digitalamish
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 22:06    Post subject: Re: same experience as spdlef with WHR-1166D Reply with quote
aumel99 wrote:
Hi folks,

I can confirm that I have the same situation as spdlef with a german model WHR-1166D

I have tried as well tftp... no chance... I think we have here just a missing link. I had the same experience with an older model of buffalo (WHR-600D) were it was only possible to use images from the dd-wrt site after I insalled the buffalo branded image from the buffalo download page. So I assume there needs to be this first image first.

Do someone know about this image?

Aumel99

I'm with all you guys. I'm stuck to, but I can add this. I've portscanned the stock firmware on the router, and there is no port 69 active for tftp. The v1.00 of the firmware only has 80 and 53, plus 61771 and 51279. V1.70 of the firmware adds 443 and 444. So the web interface is the only way, and even though there is a dir for the 1166D, none of the files work.
GlenH10
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to find v1.30 of the WHR-1166D US firmware, but it still checks for a valid firmware image. There are two possible tracks for resolving this; modify a factory image to skip the test, or figure out what the factory image is looking for.
ezdisd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
TFTP needs the AOSS button pressed at boot, but also the image has special needs. You might be able to tftp like this and flash ddwrt from there.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: