Questions about using DD-WRT router as NAS server

Cyberratchet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 13:44    Post subject: Questions about using DD-WRT router as NAS server Reply with quote
Hi,
I just bought a Netgear R7000 for my new flat and I want to use it for general routing purposes, automatic torrent downloads (flexget + transmission) and for sharing HDDs over the network.
I already had the last two things running on my Raspberry PI V1, but that device was not stable enough to use it 24/7. Sometimes the SD card got corrupted etc … .
Now I want to run a NAS with multiple HDD drives with the router and I have a few questions about that:

1) The storage will be used by a Windows, an OSX and a few Android devices. Samba seems to be the preferred protocol for Windows devices, but NFS seems to be the faster one. What are the general advantages and disadvantages of both protocols on Windows machines?
Which one is better if you’re planning on using a role based access system? E.G certain users (=machines) only see certain directories.

2) I just found a slightly used FANTEC QB-35US3R I just found a slightly used FANTEC QB-35US3R for almost half the price and I want to share a RAID storage (Raid0 or 5,not sure yet) on the network. Are there any limitations with sharing a RAID drive as opposed to a single HDD?

3) Is it possible to set the HDDs to sleep after a given time (e.g 1h after no use). I’m aware of the linux tool sdparm, but that would only work for fixed times with crontab I guess!?

4) Let’s say I connect the Fantec enclosure to the router via USB 3.0 and my PC is connected to the router via Ethernet. What performance loses do I have to expect? If I have a WLAN connection the bottleneck will be the WLAN connection itself and not the USB 3.0 I guess?

5) Slightly off topic: I read that the R7000 is easily overclockable to 1.2 GHz. Is there a real benefit to that? My connection isn’t fast enough to hit the 360Mbit limit described here .

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: