Unable to Upgrade Firmware on Buffalo WHR-300HP2D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
thescab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 21:49    Post subject: Unable to Upgrade Firmware on Buffalo WHR-300HP2D Reply with quote
I'm trying to upgrade to this firmware, which was provided to me by Buffalo:

http://buffalotech.com/support-and-downloads/download/whr300hp2d-v24sp2-22750b.zip

I've tried to upgrade twice. Both times, it says it was successful, but I still see the firmware version as DD-WRT v24SP2- (11/05/13) std - build 22750. Please help.

Jim
Sponsor
dignome
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jim,

That is a static build custom made by the Buffalo Company... it's not going to be any newer than the build version indicated in the filename '22750b'. Unfortunately the dd-wrt released builds for this router are now crippled in that the WAN port has no functionality. The last working build of vanilla dd-wrt is build 24461 released 06-23-2014 found here:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/06-23-2014-r24461/buffalo_whr_300hp2/
thescab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply. I have upgraded the firmware to the DD-WRT version you linked to.
thescab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
One problem. Unlike the Buffalo firmware, I can't see a "run setup assistant" button on the new firmware to establish an Internet connection once the new firmware is on the router, so I cannot connect to the Internet. Please help.

Jim
Pyr0Seraph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
@dignome: You sir, are a god. I had JUST created an account on the forums here to ask about a problem of mine. I'd updated dd-wrt on this exact model earlier today to the newest version I could find, December 2014. ((first time buyer/user of a dd-wrt router today)) And afterwards I tried and tried and tried, and could NOT get it reconnected... tried everything I could... done searches on google, found lots of posts in the forums here, but not a single one that explained as succinctly as you did about the newer versions being busted. Grabbed the one you posted, flashed, and no problem at all on the net now... thank you SO much!

@thescab: As I said to dignome, I'm a complete newbie with all of this... BUT.. I played around with a lot of different crap to try and get it going, so... I'll do my best to try to help. What actually have you tried/what's happening? In the end, for me, all I had to do was have the firmware dignome provided. The only other thing I can think of that I did, was from the main page, go to Setup -> MAC Address Clone -> Enable, and then put in the MAC address that belonged to my old router. I'm not even sure if I had to do that though honestly, but I don't feel like disabling it to check. lol
thescab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have reverted back to Buffalo's DD-WRT since it has the button I need. When I installed the firmware as dignome suggested, I got an exclamation mark over my network connectivity icon. I tried to reboot, but to no avail.
Pyr0Seraph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm... well, the reason for the exclamation mark is because you were connected to your LAN (the router), but not connected to the internet (the modem). Apparently the Buffalo version correctly set up the connection to the modem for you automatically. ((Actually, the auto function wouldn't work at all for me, I HAD to do it manually for some reason.))

I could probably actually do it for you if I were there, but talking you through it here might be difficult. If you decide to keep the Buffalo version, then there ya go. lol. If you decide to update again, what I would suggest, is to go into your router, and check the setup page, basic setup tab, and look under WAN setup. See what's listed there, write it down, and then when you update the firmware, put the information in manually.

IF your setup information is set for DHCP, then click on Status, and check your MAC address, write it down, then when you update, you'll want to go to Setup -> MAC Address Clone, choose Enable, and then type in the MAC address that the router had been using, and that SHOULD do the trick.
thescab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update: I got it working. I again upgraded to the firmware listed here, and the yellow exclamation mark appeared. I held down the router's reset button, and I think that may have done the trick. It was weird, though, because when I couldn't get it working earlier today, I attempted to downgrade to Buffalo's firmware yet again, and it wouldn't let me.

I definitely appreciate all the help, because I wouldn't have had the guts to actually try it without your advice. Two questions. Is the wireless set to WPA Personal okay? Also, if I back up the configuration settings in the router interface and save it to my PC, would that save all the necessary settings I need for a future firmware upgrade? Thanks again, guys. You helped me a LOT.

Jim
Pyr0Seraph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's odd that it wouldn't let you, but either way, I'm definitely glad you have it working. *s*

I'm glad to help as much as I can. Don't quote anything I say as law because I know there's a lot I still don't know. I believe though that WPA2-PSK ((WPA2-Personal)) is generally considered the best/safest option for a home network, and using AES instead of TKIP.

As far as the backup.. I'm not sure, but I BELIEVE that yes, you're right. If you backup the information to the computer, and then update the firmware at a later point, I believe you can then use the backup information to put all your personal settings back onto the router. At the very least, if nothing else, it should be a way to 'rollback' if you have a problem later.
thescab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I should make one small correction. When I couldn't get it working earlier, I was able to downgrade, but it wouldn't connect, even after using Buffalo's "run setup assistant," which worked before. It said a LAN cable was disconnected (it wasn't) and one of the router's lights was red.

In any event, it works now with the new firmware and I think I'll leave this firmware in place indefinitely. Thanks again, guys.

Jim
madmac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks all for sharing! Will try on mine shortly

Cheers,
thescab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good. Let us know how it goes.
toastyz71
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can back up your settings, but you should only use it on the currently installed version of DD-WRT. If you upgrade to a newer version (if the WAN port gets fixed in a new version)You don't want to restore settings from an older firmware revision.
madmac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to flash to 24461 from 22750. After that I did a 30/30/30 reset. The router has been running great so far

Thanks again guys for sharing!
yoder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 22:30    Post subject: Successful WHR-300HP2D DD-WRT Update installed Reply with quote
dignome wrote:
Jim,
The last working build of vanilla dd-wrt is build 24461 released 06-23-2014 found here:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/06-23-2014-r24461/buffalo_whr_300hp2/

With this advise I decided to try to install r24461, since none of the newer builds I've installed allowed the WAN port to get a DHCP address from my carrier. This build is working, so I thought I would describe my experience with it so other WHR-300HP2 owners can get it working.

The only issue I had with the install is that after installing firmware-us.bin the WAN port was initialized with a DHCP address on subnet 192.168.1.0/24 rather than an internet address. So I surmised incorrectly that it was advertising for the address on its LAN rather than or in addition to the WAN. It took a little while for me to realize that it was not getting the address from its own DHCP service, but from my cable modem sitting between it and my internet connection.

It is important to understand that the DD-WRT builds assign a different MAC address to the WAN port than the Buffalo branded builds. That is the reason for the unexpected behavior I witnessed.

I have a 2Wire cable modem for internet access. I had configured it to allow all traffic pass through it to the Buffalo router's WAN port so that I could manage access to my LAN using the latter device. Essentially the 2Wire router had the Buffalo WAN port in its DMZ and forwarded everything to it.

However that only worked when the Buffalo router WAN port advertised its default MAC address. When the MAC address changed, the 2Wire modem saw it as a new device on its LAN, and assigned it one of its DHCP addresses, which happens to be in the same subnet as my DD-WRT LAN. I realized my mistake when I noticed that not only did the Buffalo router get a LAN address for its WAN port, but that it got the 2WIRE LAN address, 192.168.1.254, as its gateway address.

When that dawned on me, all I had to do to get things properly working was to remove the old DMZ settings on the 2Wire modem, and add the Buffalo router with its new WAN MAC address back into the DMZ.

Other than that hickup the upgrade to r24461 is simple. Starting with the Buffalo branded DD-WRT build, whr300hp2d-v24sp2-22750b, running on the router I installed buffalo_whr_300hp2-webflash.bin from the URL supplied in Jim's comment above using the web GUI, and let that reboot, and then I installed firmware-us.bin from the same URL with the web GUI. It was not necessary to do a reset either from the GUI or the standard 30/30/30 reset. I think it is possible to skip the first upload, and go straight to the firmware-us.bin install from the Buffalo version of the firmware. I've done that several times with other builds, and the last install using this build as well.

The only problem I've found so far after installing this build is that it seems that the clock reads GMT times no matter what city is selected in the GUI for the NPT configuration. There could be other problems, since I haven't given the build a thorough test.

Now that I have this build installed, I might use it to see if I can get some of the newer builds installed using techniques suggested in the forum that I've seen. If I have luck with that, I'll mention it in another post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: