Linksys EA6200 GPIO for reset button

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ccsasuke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 0:06    Post subject: Linksys EA6200 GPIO for reset button Reply with quote
Hi,

I have been using DD-WRT on my EA6200 for a while, and since it's not officially supported, I first used ASUS RT-AC56U builds, and now I'm using Kong's AC 3.X 26500M.

I just noticed that the reset button on the router has no effect (this problem probably has been there ever since I flashed to DD, but I just never tried the button after I got DD running). I'm not very knowledgable in this, but I guess the cause is that the GPIO configuration is not correct for EA6200 since it's not officially supported?
I have a NVRAM dump from a EA6300 on an OEM firmware, which has a line
Code:
 reset_gpio = 11

that is missing in my current DD-WRT nvrams.

I'm hesitating to try adding this line and testing the reset button since I don't have a way to recover the router in case I brick it.

So my question is: i) Is this nvram a probable cause of the problem?
ii) Will adding this line possibly fix this problem? Has it been seen in the past to cause more problems than potentially solved when trying to mess with GPIO nvrams?

========
If you are so kind to read till here, I'd like to take this chance to ask another question in case anyone had similar experience. I feel this is a better way than opening another thread since this one may be stupid.
I always had problems getting Samba server to work. I tried searching around, but it seems all the tutorials and trouble shooting for Samba are grandfathered.
In recent builds, enabling Samba should be as easy as some clicks in the GUI. I enabled Samba in the GUI, set the server string and workgroup, but none of my machines can connect to the server. On Mac OS, the server shows up but cannot be connected to. (No prompt for username/password) And on Windows the samba server never showed up in Networks.

Currently my guess is that the samba service is not properly started. I also couldn't connect to my FTP server, but I later solved this by manually run
Code:
 proFTPd

and add it to the Startup Scripts.

I don't know whether this is also Samba's case, but trying
Code:
 startservice samba3

didn't make any difference.
And everything I found on Samba configuration seemed no longer applicable to the current builds.

You are a super nice guy if you managed to get to here! Thank you!

Any comment is appreciated!
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 17:48    Post subject: Re: Linksys EA6200 GPIO for reset button Reply with quote
ccsasuke wrote:
Hi,

I have been using DD-WRT on my EA6200 for a while, and since it's not officially supported, I first used ASUS RT-AC56U builds, and now I'm using Kong's AC 3.X 26500M.

I just noticed that the reset button on the router has no effect (this problem probably has been there ever since I flashed to DD, but I just never tried the button after I got DD running). I'm not very knowledgable in this, but I guess the cause is that the GPIO configuration is not correct for EA6200 since it's not officially supported?
I have a NVRAM dump from a EA6300 on an OEM firmware, which has a line
Code:
 reset_gpio = 11

that is missing in my current DD-WRT nvrams.

I'm hesitating to try adding this line and testing the reset button since I don't have a way to recover the router in case I brick it.

So my question is: i) Is this nvram a probable cause of the problem?
ii) Will adding this line possibly fix this problem? Has it been seen in the past to cause more problems than potentially solved when trying to mess with GPIO nvrams?

========
If you are so kind to read till here, I'd like to take this chance to ask another question in case anyone had similar experience. I feel this is a better way than opening another thread since this one may be stupid.
I always had problems getting Samba server to work. I tried searching around, but it seems all the tutorials and trouble shooting for Samba are grandfathered.
In recent builds, enabling Samba should be as easy as some clicks in the GUI. I enabled Samba in the GUI, set the server string and workgroup, but none of my machines can connect to the server. On Mac OS, the server shows up but cannot be connected to. (No prompt for username/password) And on Windows the samba server never showed up in Networks.

Currently my guess is that the samba service is not properly started. I also couldn't connect to my FTP server, but I later solved this by manually run
Code:
 proFTPd

and add it to the Startup Scripts.

I don't know whether this is also Samba's case, but trying
Code:
 startservice samba3

didn't make any difference.
And everything I found on Samba configuration seemed no longer applicable to the current builds.

You are a super nice guy if you managed to get to here! Thank you!

Any comment is appreciated!

You have flashed the a smp build on a single core unit, thus samba will not work by default.

nvram var for buttons are never used by us.

I can only recommend to never flash a unit unless it is supported, you can't recover these ARM units like old units with a simple jtag debugger. Breakage can happen right away or after a reset or by enabling jffs.
ccsasuke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 22:36    Post subject: Re: Linksys EA6200 GPIO for reset button Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

You have flashed the a smp build on a single core unit, thus samba will not work by default.

I can only recommend to never flash a unit unless it is supported, you can't recover these ARM units like old units with a simple jtag debugger. Breakage can happen right away or after a reset or by enabling jffs.

Thank you so much for the reply! And allow me to express my gratitude for the great builds you have been issuing. They are super stable! I often ran into troubles from time to time on other firmwares, including the stock one!

I guess in this case I'll just leave the reset button as it is.
As for samba, thanks for the info. I never heard of this. I just installed Entware and got it working (or at least until now..), I will dig around to find a way to get samba working. And it will be appreciated if you happen to have some pointers where I should look at.
Also, now that you mentioned EA6200 has a single core CPU instead of the dual-core version on AC56U, I checked it out and perhaps it's more similar to D-Link DIR-860L A1, which got recently supported? Do you think it's possible to fix problems by flashing DIR-860's build?

Thank you again! It's very helpful.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is the build Kong recommends. Maybe you missed it.
"I can only recommend to never flash a unit unless it is supported, you can't recover these ARM units like old units with a simple jtag debugger. Breakage can happen right away or after a reset or by enabling jffs."

Seems clear to me.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
"I can only recommend to never flash a unit unless it is supported, you can't recover these ARM units like old units with a simple jtag debugger. Breakage can happen right away or after a reset or by enabling jffs."

Seems clear to me.

Well, yes I saw that.. But to me his build has been working almost perfectly, neither a reset or enabling jffs broke the router. I would be doomed to stick with the crappy stock firmware... Just asking, I know that none of the builds is recommended, but there might be some that is slightly more suitable..
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
ccsasuke wrote:
Malachi wrote:

Seems clear to me.

Well, yes I saw that.. But to me his build has been working almost perfectly, neither a reset or enabling jffs broke the router. I would be doomed to stick with the crappy stock firmware... Just asking, I know that none of the builds is recommended, but there might be some that is slightly more suitable..

I thought I read in another thread that you haven't flashed stock back on it, correct?
Try putting the linksys firmware back on and see if it still works. I bet it won't.
If you want to know how I know, read the lengthy ea6300v1 thread. You will se what happened to me and a few others.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
ccsasuke wrote:
Malachi wrote:

Seems clear to me.

I thought I read in another thread that you haven't flashed stock back on it, correct?
Try putting the linksys firmware back on and see if it still works. I bet it won't.
If you want to know how I know, read the lengthy ea6300v1 thread. You will se what happened to me and a few others.

Yeah, I remember that thread, which was one of the only few resources available for the unsupported Linksys EA6x00s back then. I fully understand that flashing dd-wrt on an unsupported router is risky, and that was why I asked whether some build was better compared to others to minimize risks..
The thing is, given the wonderful dd-wrt functionalities, I would anyway prefer dd-wrt over the stock fw despite the risk, and if I brick my router, I'll donate it and buy another one with official dd support. With that said, the question for me became which build to flash in the future..
And if the answer is still to stay away from all of them, I guess I will stay at my current 26500M for a year or two..
nadu1973
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Malachi"]
ccsasuke wrote:

I was able to go back to stock firmware. I did it from the cfe bootloader. From my experience with this board its seems its hard to brick it unless the bootloader and/or the nvram is erased. However you may need to open the box and use serial in case kernel crashes.

Last edited by nadu1973 on Sat May 09, 2015 7:15; edited 2 times in total
nadu1973
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:01    Post subject: Re: Linksys EA6200 GPIO for reset button Reply with quote
ccsasuke wrote:
<Kong> wrote:

Thank you so much for the reply! And allow me to express my gratitude for the great builds you have been issuing. They are super stable! I often ran into troubles from time to time on other firmwares, including the stock one!

I guess in this case I'll just leave the reset button as it is.
As for samba, thanks for the info. I never heard of this. I just installed Entware and got it working (or at least until now..), I will dig around to find a way to get samba working. And it will be appreciated if you happen to have some pointers where I should look at.
Also, now that you mentioned EA6200 has a single core CPU instead of the dual-core version on AC56U, I checked it out and perhaps it's more similar to D-Link DIR-860L A1, which got recently supported? Do you think it's possible to fix problems by flashing DIR-860's build?

Thank you again! It's very helpful.

Tried 860 build mentioned above. The stock linksys firmware reports error when updating the factory_to_ddwrt.bin.

26500M Kong's build did not work for me. It crashes when doing pci_device_probe due to null pointer. However his 25090M build works but has 5Ghz issues. The next build 25100M crashes similar to 26500M. So the changes between 25090M abd 25100M seem to cause issues with my ea6200.

I looked at the betas builds. There also the changes made between 01-20-2015-r25974/(good) and 01-29-2015-r26081/(bad) causes the crash.
killekalle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 21:26    Post subject: Any news on getting Samba to run on the EA6200? Reply with quote
Hi

Bought an EA6200 cheap and flashed Kong's latest release on it. Working great apart from that Samba and FTP won't start. FTP can be stared with startupscript as mentioned in this thread. Is it possible to start Samba also? Anyone got that to work?

//Anders
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: