Help with wrt54g v1.1 brick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
danielbb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 21:43    Post subject: Help with wrt54g v1.1 brick Reply with quote
i got fed up of have to hiting reset everytime i had to turn the router off, than and crashing when i did certain settings, so i decided to go back to linksys firmware. It was unsuccessful (I had done this once the other day fine), router wouldnt ping, tryed all the fancy rest button combinations.

Next i ripped it open, shorted pin 15 and 16. Now it pings. So i used follwing command.

Code:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

E:\Documents and Settings\Dan>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=230ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=469ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=332ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 90ms, Maximum = 469ms, Average = 280ms

E:\Documents and Settings\Dan>cd e:\

E:\>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT code.bin code.bin
Transfer successful: 2884608 bytes in 6 seconds, 480768 bytes/s

Left for 10 minues nothing still, when i unplug and plug back in power light only works. No pinging or power to lan.

Next i short pin 16 to earth, it now pings again an power to lan. back to where i was.

Is The tftp process correct? any suggestions.
Sponsor
danielbb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dont think you should claim ddwrt supports v1.1 because it is clearly unstable, even in your own instructions it claims it doesnt flash correctly, also v1.1 keeps being named on threads relating to ddwrt bricking routers!
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you're on crack. First, are we talking about a G v.1.1, a GS v.1.1 or a GL v.1.1?? Not that it's terribly significant, since all 3 work fine with DD-WRT.

It always amazes me when people brick or otherwise FUBAR their routers due to overheating (thanks, wo-fo!!), failure to follow flashing instructions, etc, etc, and insist that it has to be the firmware's fault!! Granted, if you tried a beta version you certainly could have had issues with it, but then we roll back to an earlier version of the beta or to a known stable version and JOILA!!...it works fine.

Did you do a hard reset before AND after flashing new firmware? Is your router stuffed back in a hole behind your desk with 47 other pieces of overheated electronic equipment? Did you try more than one build? Did you try any troubleshooting through the Forum prior to coming to your erroneous conclusion? I'll bet not.

Did it ever occur to you, that shorting pins in a delicate piece of electronics might damage said equipment ?? Despite the fact that the "pin shorting trick" is published as a legitimate recovery method, it's like using duct tape for car repairs. If you had an issue with a brick, you should have used JTAG to PROPERLY recover it.

Bottom line......DD-WRT works very well on all versions it is purported to work on. I have personally installed DD-WRT, in virtually every flavor, on virtually every version of Linksys router available....including all 3 models with a v.1.1, and have NEVER found it to be unstable!! So, before you blame the firmware, I suggest you look at OPERATOR ERROR as the most likely cause of your difficulties. Have a nice day.

Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: