<kong> build 27085 DNS issue on R7000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dragonC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:57    Post subject: <kong> build 27085 DNS issue on R7000 Reply with quote
I upgraded from 26970 to 27085. Since upgrade, I have been having sporadic trouble accessing the web. Some sites report not accessible - which can usually be fixed after a router reboot or disconnect/connect WIFI. This seems like a typical symptom of a DNS issue in this build.

Does anyone else other than me have this issue? Do we have known config that'd workaround/address this?
Sponsor
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am running the current latest Kong code on my R7000 and I have not had any issues such as you describe.

If you believe it to possibly be DNS related you can put your own DNS entries into the router such as googles.
or if you are already running your own, you could allow your service provider to handle your DNS queries.

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
dragonC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="slidermike"]I am running the current latest Kong code on my R7000 and I have not had any issues such as you describe.

If you believe it to possibly be DNS related you can put your own DNS entries into the router such as googles.
or if you are already running your own, you could allow your service provider to handle your DNS queries.[/quote]

I do already use google public DNS. I flipped back to my ISP this morning. Just to check I am doing the right thing - I set custom DNS server with the 'Static DNS' fields under setup. Is that right?

Would you mind also share your DNSMasq settings? I left everything at default: DNSMasq as DHCP, DNSMasq as DNS, Authoritative DNS. Corresponding settings in services>DNSMasq are also as defaults
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mine is very basic but here it is for you.

1a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.7 KB
 Viewed:  13312 Time(s)

1a.jpg

MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using Kong's 27085M as well, no DNS problems whatsoever. I use my ISP's DNS servers, though, since I figure that it has the best information for me on their network. Just defaults for dnsmasq (same as slidermike just above), nothing special.

Not sure how you connect to your ISP, but for me and Comcast, I just connect and Comcast transacts with my router for a DHCP WAN address and DNS server addresses all transparently to me. My connection to my ISP is "Automatic Configuration - DHCP", couldn't be easier and always has worked.

On the other hand, I can also easily use OpenDNS or google DNS services by just filling in the known DNS server addresses in the right place in the dd-wrt web interface. Right now those static DNS server IP addresses fields are all "0"'s, the default, since the router firmware gets the DNS server addresses from my ISP automatically, and those are not displayed. I could go into a telnet login and dig them out, I'm sure, but I have no reason to do that. What I have automatically by default just works.
dragonC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks slidermike & MrDoh. I had the same configuration. I made two changes since my last post:

1) enabled Local DNS
2) reverted static DNS from google public DNS back to my ISP's (i.e. 0.0.0.0)

Everything seems to be working again so far. I guess public DNS does not work well in my case.

Though, may I know what Local DNS is for? Do I really need it?
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
dragonC wrote:

It is my understanding that setting is used when you have a device on your LAN that acts as a DNS server.
Enabling the feature allows you to point towards the other device for DNS services.

dragonC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="slidermike"][quote="dragonC"]Though, may I know what Local DNS is for? Do I really need it?[/quote]
It is my understanding that setting is used when you have a device on your LAN that acts as a DNS server.
Enabling the feature allows you to point towards the other device for DNS services.[/quote]

Ar, I see. So if I do not have another device as DNS server, that setting does not do anything (but probably is not hurting either)?
MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
dragonC wrote:
slidermike wrote:
dragonC wrote:

Enabling the feature allows you to point towards the other device for DNS services.

Ar, I see. So if I do not have another device as DNS server, that setting does not do anything (but probably is not hurting either)?

It really isn't good practice to "enable" features that you're not using. Enabling any feature on a router or other electronic device opens you up to risk, and if you're not using the feature then it's pointless risk.

My opinion.
dragonC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrDoh wrote:
dragonC wrote:
slidermike wrote:
dragonC wrote:

It really isn't good practice to "enable" features that you're not using. Enabling any feature on a router or other electronic device opens you up to risk, and if you're not using the feature then it's pointless risk.

My opinion.

That sounds fair. I pondered about leaving it on mainly because everything seems to work fine now -- not sure if I'd 'rock the boat'. I did succumb to the urge to tinker with it at the end -- seems still ok.
mchaney
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally upgraded my R7000 to 27085 (coming from 26500). Running about 10 days. No issues: no reset. I have static DNS servers (open DNS) set.

Mike
neptune_
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went from 26970 to 27085; performed a reset via gui when upgrading.

After upgrade, my R7000 was not able to resolve any DNS either. Tried google static DNS servers and also my ISP - neither worked.

Did a reset and went back to 26970 which is working fine.
KALIROB2K6
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:

I hate to go off topic but what is Dnsmasq? I saw that in settings but googling it sounds mega confusing.

- jenn
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
DNSMasq is just the built in DNS server on the router.
You can configure it to do things if you want but most folks leave it at default.

DNS is Domain Name System.
That's how network devices change dd-wrt.com into its IP #.
Your pc/router uses IP (like your home address) to find things. We people however are better with names than long IP strings like 10.14.225.9
So there are these devices that translate the name that we humans use to IP #'s that the internet uses.
KALIROB2K6 wrote:
slidermike wrote:

I hate to go off topic but what is Dnsmasq? I saw that in settings but googling it sounds mega confusing.

- jenn

KALIROB2K6
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
DNSMasq is just the built in DNS server on the router.
You can configure it to do things if you want but most folks leave it at default.

DNS is Domain Name System.
That's how network devices change dd-wrt.com into its IP #.
Your pc/router uses IP (like your home address) to find things. We people however are better with names than long IP strings like 10.14.225.9
So there are these devices that translate the name that we humans use to IP #'s that the internet uses.
KALIROB2K6 wrote:
slidermike wrote:

- jenn

ohhhh that makes so much more sense hehe, thank you.

- jenn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: