Unable to downgrade Netgear WNR2000v2 from build 26947

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
snebal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 16:47    Post subject: Unable to downgrade Netgear WNR2000v2 from build 26947 Reply with quote
Hello.

I'm having some issues with the 26947 build on a Netgear WNR2000v2 (related to virtual wireless interfaces which either doesn't show up or clients can't connect (even without security)) and would therefore like to downgrade to the trail version as listed on http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNR2000V2

My problem is that no matter which other/older build I try to load, it always comes back with build 26947 after rebooting. I'm guessing this has something to do with the safety checks that was put in to prevent us from bricking the routers.

I've tried to do the following to downgrade:

1) Do a 30-30-30 reset
2) In the web GUI of build 26947, upload the trailed build 15962 or the latest original firmware from http://downloadcenter.netgear.com
3) The GUI says the the update is successful and then reboots
4) Do a 30-30-30 reset once more.

It's my understanding from reading other threads (i.e. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=680857) that this should be the procedure for downgrading, but I'm unfortunately not seeing it working.

Any suggestions on doing the downgrade?

Thanks in advance.

/Michael
Sponsor
snebal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't tried to update to the very latest beta (build 27396) as the 27xxx builds doesn't seem to work with this router according to http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=970006#970006
snebal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can anyone confirm if the method described on the link below will work?

Downgrade dd-wrt firmware from dd-wrt version 24461 to dd-wrt version 24160
http://www.askmeaboutlinux.com/?p=2819

If so, which file should I download to the router?

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/12-24-10-r15962/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-15962_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR2000v2.chk

or

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/12-24-10-r15962/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-15962_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin

Thanks.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 2nd one, *.bin file (cause that's what is needed when going from DD-WRT to DD-WRT).
snebal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
The 2nd one, *.bin file (cause that's what is needed when going from DD-WRT to DD-WRT).

Thanks a lot. It worked like a charm and the wireless virtual interfaces seems to be working a lot better in this older version. I can now use it as a "repeater bridge" which was the intend Smile

Even though it hurts my "IT Professional heart" a little to be running a 4½ year old version, it's better to have it working.

Thanks again. Appreciate the help!
ccrh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 19:36    Post subject: My experience with this model of router, just now Reply with quote
I happened across a WNR2000V2 at a garage sale for 2 bucks and I snatched it right up. I got home and immediately tried to flash it with the 21061 build on the wiki page. It did not work. I was stuck with the power light flashing green endlessly (which it had done for well over an hour while I found something else to do to pass the time) and the light for the socket I was plugged into, which was green. Then I found the pin-short method to allow me to tftp a firmware image onto it, which worked like a charm. I had the original netgear firmware back on it, which really did no good for what I needed it for. I went through a few rounds of flashing the original firmware then flashing that same build, with no success. tftp is very useful. I also tried a couple different netgear firmwares, some older than the newest one available, that changed nothing.

What I did find to change something was installing an older build of DDWRT, specifically 15962, which worked fine. Then I installed 21061 with the BIN file, not the CHK file, using the upgrade interface in DDWRT, which also worked fine.

So I want to say thank you for posting this thread about downgrading, which gave me the idea to try an older build, which made this little box useable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: