[Solved] D-Link 'Bricked' advice for the future please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Zaf0d
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 0:03    Post subject: [Solved] D-Link 'Bricked' advice for the future please. Reply with quote
I've got a D-Link DIR 615 D4 that was using as a test before I put DD-WRT on my ASUS RT-AC68U.

But I managed to 'Brick It' and I'm not sure where I went wrong. Embarassed
Any advice would be gratefully received.

I checked the compatibility list and the DIR615 D4 was there.

There were no instructions on the wiki, so I followed the ones for the 'D3' version.

I downloaded the D4's 'Factory WebFlash' image
http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/D-Link/DIR-615/D4/dlink-dir615d-factory-webflash.bin/3965
And uploaded it via the D-link Firmware, that went well.

But as that version was from April 2013 and didn't have 'Open VPN' which is one of the things I was hoping to test out.
So, I thought I'd upgrade to a newer version.
I checked the latest builds on the FTP, and only found one for the 615 rev. D
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/07-09-2015-r27506/dlink-dir615d/dir615d-ddwrt-webflash.bin

After resting the router to the default settings, I tried to upload the new firmware.
But, It stopped at around 240 sec's saying it had failed.
And after a minute or so I was back at the upload screen.
I rebooted the router to try again, but it failed to boot. Just a flashing Orange power light.

I tried recovery mode, but that failed to.
I was 'Pinging' the router and mostly got 'Timeouts' but also got a few 'Destination Host Unreachable' and even the odd 'Hardware Failure'
Strange thing is every now and then the 'Recovery Page' would appear in my browser. But never for long enough for me to upload either the 'D-Link' or 'Factory WebFlash' firmware.

As I said an advice would be helpful, as I really don't won't the same thing to happen with the ASUS router. Sad

Last edited by Zaf0d on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:57; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
Specimen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Make sure you always flash a router using an ethernet cable and not via wireless.

Have you tried this?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DIR-615D3#How_to_restore_to_factory_firmware

This 'Emergency Room' is also described here (end of the page):
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-300revb

Which I found via:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-615

(OpenWRT has very detailed information about each router, the information isn't OpenWRT specific and can be used with DD-WRT, just replace the .bin files by DD-WRT ones)
Zaf0d
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank You Specimen,
While none of those links had 'the' answer, little bits from each link helped 'Un-Brick' the router. Very Happy

To help out others I'll list them here.
1. Revisions D1 to D4, H1 as well as I1 are pretty much unbrickable as they have a built-in firmware Recovery Mode
If its built-in and not effected by a 'Bad Flash' just keep trying different options.

2. Recovery Mode doesn't respond to pings
So, Pinging the router is no use while trying to un-brick it.

3. Recovery Mode loads up within a few seconds
If what your trying doesn't work in the first couple of tries, restart or try something else.

4. If the upload does not start, try another browser
In this case an older version of Chrome worked

And not found on any of those links, but discovered by accident.

5. Flash the firmware via the WAN port
As mentioned in the first post, "sometimes the Recovery Page would appear" This seemed to happen when using the WAN port not the LAN ports.

So, I'm back to the 'Factory Webflash' firmware from April 2013. Cool

Any tips on updating to newer firmware ?

And is there a version with Openvpn for the DIR 615?
OK, forget this one, found this post. Crying or Very sad
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=282616&highlight=open+vpn
Specimen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think you did anything wrong.
It's possible that the upgrade procedure was interrupted with the new upload, during the update process the browser might lose connection to the router, after the upload has started just wait the 5 minutes and watch the router lights, only take any action after the 5 minutes have passed, the router will reboot by itself, after reboot you can try reaching it by the browser.
Also, it might have been an issue with the upload or the binary itself, I would try again, if it fails again, try an previous build.
Zaf0d
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Specimen wrote:
I don't think you did anything wrong.

Boy, if I could get the 'Other Half' to put that down in writing too. Very Happy

Now I know how to resurrect the router, I've been playing around and discovered, that it won't update from the 'Factory WebFlash' image.

The only way to get it on to a newer build, is to use the 'Factory WebFlash' image first, then on reboot flash the matching 'WebFlash' image.
Then it will take most builds, although to get the latest, I had to use an intermediate build.

Thanks for your help and support. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: