Need help serial debricking Linksys E3000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers
MaximumXC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 22:34    Post subject: Need help serial debricking Linksys E3000 Reply with quote
I am requesting help with serial debricking a hard-bricked Linksys E3000. I live in Northridge, CA (northern LA County, just south of Ventura County), and would very much appreciate help in-person, if that is possible.

The router was given to me bricked, so I have no idea what happened to it. Suffice it to say that easier debricking methods using TFTP have failed. It is hard bricked.

I have the router cracked open and cut the end off an old Nokia DKU-5 cable. The cable has 5 wires colored brown, yellow, orange, red, and green. I have played around with various wire combinations and at one point saw some output, though it wasn't "clean" (some of the bootloading text came through, but other parts were garbled). At no point was I ever able to send anything to the router, so I think my TX wire is wrong, possibly my GND, too.

I have been trying my best to do this since January and am extremely frustrated. I'm hoping someone can walk me through this process. I assume my main problem is not having the correct DKU-5 wires in the correct places. I have very little experience with circuit boards or with multi-meters, though I tried my best to duplicate the things I read, both on this forum and others.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've never been able to get those cables to work.
I use these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-USB-2-0-to-TTL-UART-6PIN-Module-Serial-Converter-CP2102-STC-PRGMR-/371046646242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56641a81e2

$2.25 from California.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I take it I'd just solder some header pins onto the pads in order to hook it up?

I've only soldered once in my life, and it was wires to hook up a car stereo. Any special considerations or specific types of solder to use when soldering onto a circuit board?

Thanks!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Be very careful when soldering the pins on the pads. They lift off easily.
It would be easier to solder wires to them.
I bought my solder at microcenter. It's for electronics.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, I'll give it a shot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: