Limit speed to all clients except two?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
lolcocks
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 18:29    Post subject: Limit speed to all clients except two? Reply with quote
Hi,
Is there any way to limit the speed of WAN to all the people who connect to my WiFi except for two PCs?

I mean literally all and not manually add each one's MAC address and limit them.
That would waste a lot of my time every time someone new connects to my WiFi.
Sponsor
lolcocks
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump!
Gonzo_WRTer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Honestly, as flexible as DD-WRT is, I am finding the best way to create differential access, bandwidth and access regimes is to limit the guest users to a second DD-WRT router configured with the limitations.

That said, there may be some ideas for doing what you want in this thread:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=712666

That's pretty advanced stuff, and is just one more reason why a second DD-WRT device configured as a WAP with limitations.

Your "privileged" couple of machines would log on to your main router's wifi using one SSID, and your "underclass" machines would use the WAP with its own SSID and all the bells and whistles to prevent their abuse of bandwidth.

Its what I do with my kids dozens of wireless devices and its served me well.
lolcocks
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gonzo_WRTer wrote:
Honestly, as flexible as DD-WRT is, I am finding the best way to create differential access, bandwidth and access regimes is to limit the guest users to a second DD-WRT router configured with the limitations.

That said, there may be some ideas for doing what you want in this thread:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=712666

That's pretty advanced stuff, and is just one more reason why a second DD-WRT device configured as a WAP with limitations.

Your "privileged" couple of machines would log on to your main router's wifi using one SSID, and your "underclass" machines would use the WAP with its own SSID and all the bells and whistles to prevent their abuse of bandwidth.

Its what I do with my kids dozens of wireless devices and its served me well.

I see, that's nice but do I need two routers for this?
Or a router compatible with creating two SSIDs?
Currently I have the E1200v2 running the latest beta, flashed yesterday.
lolcocks
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump!

Guys, I really want to give everyone limited speeds except for 1 client on the WiFi and one on wired connection before they eat up all my limited plan's bandwidth.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you looked under the QBS Tab?

Enabling QBS puts an extra burden on your router''s processor. You may end up slowing down everything.
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
lolcocks,
Have you reviewed my thread about setup basic QoS?

Any QoS is going to slow down a router but especially those with 1 core and or are older units.

Having said that, what you want to do is fairly well discernible from my R7000 config example (unless the code has changed since the guide was written).

1st you need to understand how the various QoS mechanisms take priority if you have multiple set.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=263940

"The order the precendence is as follows:
◾ MAC - If you have specified a MAC address priority then it takes precedence over all others
◾ Netmask - The IP address entries are applied in the order that they appear in your netmask table. Interestingly only the first match applies. For example if you have an entry marking 192.168.1.10/32 as bulk followed by an entry marking 192.168.1.0/24 (all 192.168.1 addresses) as premium the traffic from 192.168.1.10 would be marked bulk because it was the first match. Also if a match is found in this table it does not matter what you put in the services table.
◾ Services - The services entries are applied in the order that they appear in your services tables. Again, only the first match will apply.
◾ Ethernet Ports -
only works on old models with ADMtek switch chips. That is, the Linksys WRT54G v1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.1 and the WRT54GS v1.0. It appears that this Ethernet Port Priority option has been removed for many models that do not support it, but many Broadcom G spec models that do not support it still display it."

Determine your WAN up/down speeds and configure that appropriately in the QoS settings at the top of the tab.
Apply

Since you want 2 clients unrestricted you would create 2 client entries for those 2 mac addresses under the mac priority section of QoS.
Set the WAN max up/down values to whatever your internet speeds are. Set the Priority to Premium or Express. Really just something higher than bulk which is the standard most traffic flows at.
Apply

Under the netmask priority section you will create an entry that covers the whole subnet you use in your house. Set your WAN up/down to whatever you want each client limited to. Set the priority to either manual or bulk.
Apply

Reboot the router & see if that helps.

Again, QoS is a software feature so it could impact overall performance; especially if the router is not a newer/powerful model.

Also, at the time of the writing of the QoS example I made QoS was working.
I cannot vouch for its current status so your mileage may very.

Good luck.

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
lolcocks
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
lolcocks,
Have you reviewed my thread about setup basic QoS?

Any QoS is going to slow down a router but especially those with 1 core and or are older units.

Having said that, what you want to do is fairly well discernible from my R7000 config example (unless the code has changed since the guide was written).

1st you need to understand how the various QoS mechanisms take priority if you have multiple set.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=263940

"The order the precendence is as follows:
◾ MAC - If you have specified a MAC address priority then it takes precedence over all others
◾ Netmask - The IP address entries are applied in the order that they appear in your netmask table. Interestingly only the first match applies. For example if you have an entry marking 192.168.1.10/32 as bulk followed by an entry marking 192.168.1.0/24 (all 192.168.1 addresses) as premium the traffic from 192.168.1.10 would be marked bulk because it was the first match. Also if a match is found in this table it does not matter what you put in the services table.
◾ Services - The services entries are applied in the order that they appear in your services tables. Again, only the first match will apply.
◾ Ethernet Ports -
only works on old models with ADMtek switch chips. That is, the Linksys WRT54G v1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.1 and the WRT54GS v1.0. It appears that this Ethernet Port Priority option has been removed for many models that do not support it, but many Broadcom G spec models that do not support it still display it."

Determine your WAN up/down speeds and configure that appropriately in the QoS settings at the top of the tab.
Apply

Since you want 2 clients unrestricted you would create 2 client entries for those 2 mac addresses under the mac priority section of QoS.
Set the WAN max up/down values to whatever your internet speeds are. Set the Priority to Premium or Express. Really just something higher than bulk which is the standard most traffic flows at.
Apply

Under the netmask priority section you will create an entry that covers the whole subnet you use in your house. Set your WAN up/down to whatever you want each client limited to. Set the priority to either manual or bulk.
Apply

Reboot the router & see if that helps.

Again, QoS is a software feature so it could impact overall performance; especially if the router is not a newer/powerful model.

Also, at the time of the writing of the QoS example I made QoS was working.
I cannot vouch for its current status so your mileage may very.

Good luck.

That's the problem, QoS changes speed of the entire network.

I want to slowndown network for all clients except two. Of which one is wireless and other one wired.

Alternatively, would it be possible to allow clients only 2 GB download per 24 hours?
h8red
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
lolcocks wrote:
That's the problem, QoS changes speed of the entire network.
I want to slowndown network for all clients except two. Of which one is wireless and other one wired.

Step by steb:
Set your WAN up/down to: max-5%

For needed 2 MAC adresses enter "manual" zeroes. Traffic will match your maximum setting

Set "manual" speeds in numerics for your entire SUBNET (for example 192.168.x.x/24) This is the limit for all other clients. Your devices listed in #2 will not be affected

[Ramips] Nexx WT3020F Openwrt @kernel #4.14.167 (OpenVPN server, Wireguard server, AD blocking, SQM QOS, USB)
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
+1: Use a second router to limit bandwidth to user-class
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: