Wireless Repeater with DNSmasq resolution without DHCP

FreeSoftwareServers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:31    Post subject: Wireless Repeater with DNSmasq resolution without DHCP Reply with quote
So let me explain my set-up and desired outcome, follow by the issue.

The Set-up, I have a wireless repeater DD-WRT router in another room with NO hardwire access. I have my server also in that room, because I use it most inside the LAN. I have the DD-WRT to use the "main" router for DHCP, and have a static IP for server set in the "main" router. The DD-WRT router also has a static-ip set for the server. (They are the same IP, this just helps DD-WRT understand it does not have to go to the "main" router to get to my server)

The problem is that the DD-WRT router only resolves the static IP without going all the way back to the "main" router. It does not resolve the DNSmasq address=/freesoftwareservers.com/internalIP. I get a max 2MBps over WiFi since I am using the WiFi Repeater over a long distance, so I want to be able to access my server from inside my room and have the DD-WRT realize that it is directly connected to the Server. It does if I use the internal IP. I think you get it!

I have read that DNSmasq won't work without DHCP, not sure where or if it is reliable, but I'm just kinda lost as how to resolve my domain name internally.

PS: Editing Hosts file on my PC is not an option as its a mobile laptop and then when I am outside the LAN, it resolves to my private IP instead of my public one.

DD-WRT Version is V24sp2

Need any other Info let me know, any help is appreciated!

The main router is a Verizon Fios router, if perhaps I should try using OSPF or something, but I was hoping not to get that complicated! If something like OSPF is my ONLY option, please let me know where I can get more info.
Sponsor
FreeSoftwareServers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:31    Post subject: Solved by Restoring Fac Defaults and Setting DNSmasq 1st Reply with quote
So I started all over, and set the Static IP first, then DNSmasq then set up wireless repeater and it worked. Not sure but perhaps its because I originally followed guide and disabled DNSmasq then tried to re-enable it, but it wasn't having it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: