SOLVED: DCHP only on secondary router?

neerav
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:05    Post subject: SOLVED: DCHP only on secondary router? Reply with quote
I have a LinkSys E2000 with ddwrt. Loved it and have done so much with guest networks, dual routers (E1000), and more, but recently needed something more powerful for the bigger house. So, I got a Netgear R8000 with stock firmware. Very nice. I'm not ready to put ddwrt on the R8000 until ddwrt becomes a bit more mature on it.

Old setup: E2000 as primary router with DHCP connected to modem. R8000 in AP mode connected to primary router with ethernet and serving Wifi.

New setup: R8000 as primary router serving Wifi connected to modem. E2000 connected to primary router JUST as a DHCP server and secondary router (no Wifi, no wired devices connected)

Problem: can't get any internet in the new setup when R8000 primary router has DHCP OFF and E2000 has DHCP ON. When the E2000 is plugged into the network, it gives IP addresses just fine, however, there is no internet, which should come/go through the R8000.

All the searches for a few weeks and guides give instructions on DHCP on primary router in a multirouter setup (old setup). I want DHCP on a secondary, and ONLY to supply IP addresses and only because I have so much control over the DHCP server in ddwrt to assign static addresses, device names, and of course non-static address pool.

Suggestions, advice, links to special guide, a hint as to what I'm missing, etc are very much appreciated. Need to regain control of my network ASAP! Smile

Last edited by neerav on Thu Oct 01, 2015 19:29; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are the clients getting the ip of the R8000 as gateway with dhcp?
neerav
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I understand your question, no, the clients are not getting the R8000 as the gateway.

In the NEW setup, the clients are getting an IP from the E2000, as desired, but is ALSO getting it as the gateway. In ddwrt, I even changed the Gateway mode to Router mode.

E2000: x.x.x.1
R8000: x.x.x.2

Currently getting:
DNS:x.x.x.1
DHCP:x.x.x.1
Gateway:x.x.x.1

Without setting it in every client (some clients I wouldn't be able to), what I'm trying to do is:

DNS:x.x.x.1 or x.x.x.2, doesn't matter to me, i think, as long as it works!
DHCP:x.x.x.1
Gateway:x.x.x.2

Does that make sense?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
When clients are trying to reach the Internet, they will contact the E2000, but the E2000 will repond with "I don't have an Internett connection. You have to contact R8000"
neerav
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there anything I have to set in ddwrt on the E2000 to instruct it to give the correct response to "contact R8000"? Right now I'm not getting any internet, hence my problem and post. Sad I have a great intranet with a couple dozen devices, though! Laughing
neerav
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the E2000, I have changed Gateway mode to Router mode, set and unset the gateway setting to x.x.x.2 and 0.0.0.0, and turned the WAN off. And done these in various combinations.

After handing out DHCP IP addresses, the E2000 doesn't appear to respond to internet requests that there is no internet here, please contact R8000 (x.x.x.2).

I am still not able to access the internet with the setup in the original post.

I feel like I'm stuck right at the finish line but unable to cross it.

TP-Link WR710N ..... Stock (considering DD-WRT)
neerav
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 19:21    Post subject: SOLVED: DCHP only on secondary router? Reply with quote
Finally found the answer! A very overlooked line from DNSMasq as DHCP server

Quote:
By default, dd-wrt will hand out via DHCP its own IP as the Gateway. You can specify an alternate one like so:

dhcp-option=lan,3,w.x.y.z

I added it to Additional DNSMasq Options on the E2000, saved, rebooted the routers and modem, and it works! Shocked

EDIT: In addition, Use DNSMasq for DNS needs to be UNCHECKED for cell phones to get the correct DNS servers and for apps to access the internet.

Thank you, Per Yngve Berg, for the initial help.

TP-Link WR710N ..... Stock (considering DD-WRT)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: