Wireless clients get LAN IP, but Wired clients get WAN IP??

orizzle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:55    Post subject: Wireless clients get LAN IP, but Wired clients get WAN IP?? Reply with quote
Hi all,

Recently moved into a new house and am getting DSL from Cincinnati Bell (Fioptics to be exact, a VDSL connection). I have set my router/modem provided by the cable company into bridge mode ("modem only") to allow my router (Netgear R7000) to handle all the actual routing, port forwarding, etc. I am having a problem where all the wireless clients who connect to my router are being assigned the IP of 192.168.1.xxx but all of my wired clients get a 74.83.xxx.xxx IP address. I want all clients to be on the same subnet and not have an external IP. I even tried restoring my router to factory defaults and upgrading the firmware to a newer version of DD-WRT but no luck.

Can anyone please provide some insight?

Thank you,
-o
Sponsor
Bib
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Surely you connect your wireless devices to an AP that is not bridged the br0/192.168.1.0/24 of dd-wrt. Check Wireless_Basic.asp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dear Orizzle,
Check the Lan Client Cable is inserted to the router(Not ISP modem).
Good Luck!
Katat
Bib
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you solved the issue?
My first reply was poor.

Does your ISP supply to you several public v4 IPs ? It rare for non-pro subscribers.
If yes, first check several wireless clients can connect at the same time, each with a different public IP. If yes, maybe the wireless AP in the ISP router is bridged with the DSL router LAN (which is normal), then your clients connect to the ISP router SSID: then just disable it or set it a WPA2/AES key to prevent your clients to connect to. And force them to connect to your dd-wrt SSID.

Another scenario could be your ISP is a wireless ISP using OLSR or unciphered SSID... but you said VDSL.

Another idea: did you enabled "Assign WAN port to switch" in dd-wrt? Bad idea with bridged IPS router, unless you know what you do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or did you plugged one of your R7000 LAN ports (instead of WAN) into one of the ISP router LAN ports?

Navigation

Jump to: