Request: WNDR3800CH added to firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
BrianM
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 14:12    Post subject: Request: WNDR3800CH added to firmware Reply with quote
I have the above mentioned router and it complains about wrong firmware anytime I try to flash with firmware for the WNDR3800. The guys over at OpenWRT found the fix to be simple, too bad I'm too much of a Luddite to fully grasp OpenWRT. Anyway:

https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/42023

you can see that it was simply adding wndr3800ch specifically. I looked into even making the change myself, but a) I'm a luddite who uses windows and has no clue about linux and b) my programming skills stop just past being able to set the time on appliances.. er, ok, maybe I can Also program a thermostat. Smile

Thanks? Hope someone can help out with this.
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
make a ticket http://svn.dd-wrt.com/timeline

i saw ur pm, accidentally clicked save so it went to saved inbox, deleted it from there thinking it'd go back to regular inbox, it didnt, & i forgot ur username. this could be one of those header differences cases again so i would also provide a copy of the stock fw so brainslayer can look at it for such

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

BrianM
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks and no worries, poo happens. I just assumed you were on vacation/otherwise occupied. Ticket submitted.
simcha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 23:36    Post subject: Brian, did you ever figure out how to fix this? Reply with quote
I just got my router in the mail (bought it used) and I want to figure this out...
Is there a way to rename the file, or do I have to edit the actual code?
If you have a fixed version, please post it!
Thanks
Sim

EDIT:
Found the files needed on http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/

I hope I'm allowed to post that link
That was the only place that had the files.
Thanks
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:49    Post subject: Re: Request: WNDR3800CH added to firmware Reply with quote
simcha wrote:
I just got my router in the mail (bought it used) and I want to figure this out...
Thanks
Sim

EDIT:
Found the files needed on http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/

Thanks

I can modify the header of a regular WNDR3800 build for you, so it flashes your WNDR3800CH.
Edit: Done, see http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=983666#983666

I just need some more info: is it the North American version (NA) or World Wide (WW) ? Which exact factory firmware (from the Netgear website) do you have on it ? Give me a link to the one you used/use, I need to extract its header.

Oh, and which DD-WRT build would you need ? I'm currently running 27506 and I highly recommend it...

Last edited by KrypteX on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:45; edited 1 time in total
simcha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 16:21    Post subject: Re: Request: WNDR3800CH added to firmware Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
simcha wrote:
Thanks
Sim

EDIT:

Thanks

I can modify the header of a regular WNDR3800 build for you, so it flashes your WNDR3800CH.
I just need some more info: is it the North American version (NA) or World Wide (WW) ? Which exact factory firmware (from the Netgear website) do you have on it ? Give me a link to the one you used/use, I need to extract its header.

Oh, and which DD-WRT build would you need ? I'm currently running 27506 and I highly recommend it...

First, Thank You for the reply and offer to help, I really appreciate it!
I wanted to reply a lot sooner, but I may have "bricked" he device. I can't get the 192.168.1.1 page to load.
I am using chrome (tried ie as well) I'm on win 10 - I successfully got a few older wnr2000v3's up and running a week ago with the same pc config's but now I hit a brick wall- pun intended.

I reset the WNDR3800 using the 30/30/30 method, the router boots up and power light steady, the port light is solid orange (indicates a good but not gigabit connection) - every time I go to http://192.168.1.1/ the orange port light on the router blinks (activity) -the little wifi logo even appears in the chrome tab BUT I get ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED in chrome and something similar in IE
I will restart the pc again and try once more.
I'll let you know if I can fix it or smash it with a hammer. I will succeed either way!
P.S. I was having trouble yesterday getting the files for wnr2000v3 seemed like the file server was down?
simcha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:20    Post subject: Re: Request: WNDR3800CH added to firmware Reply with quote
[quote="KrypteX"]
simcha wrote:
Thanks
Sim

[quote="KrypteX"]
simcha wrote:
Thanks
Sim

KrypteX,
I am seeming to have issues with connecting to any router via the cat5 cable.
I set my main wifi router to 192.168.1.2 so that I can plug in any router and configure the default 192.168.1.1 etc.
I must have flashed and successfully updated 3-4 routers but now I can not get any response.

I tried rebooting the laptop, and the router, but when I connect the router I get a little yellow exclamation mark triangle in the notification area, so... -> "Troubleshoot -> Your DNS server might be unavailable Detected"
Searched that- found the advice to ipconfig /flushdns Then ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

Then I get:
C:\Users\Dell15>ipconfig/renew
Windows IP Configuration
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 2 while it has its media disconnected.

Another time it said the device didnt get an IP address or something...

I will try again by shutting down the moden, the main router and everything else.

If you have any advise, please share - I may have junked that router for nothing!
Smile
simcha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:28    Post subject: Part 2 Reply with quote
After trying to ipconfig /renew
I get this:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a43a:f565:5a97:a698%11
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.166.152
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

And then I troubleshoot, I get:
"Ethernet" dosnet have a valid IP configuration Not Fixed

So the router I am trying to work on is not getting an IP address and that's maybe why I'm having this issue?
KeithB
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 22:47    Post subject: Received one of these 'Charter' routers Reply with quote
Current Netgear firmware is V1.0.0.57CH. I need to see if this is available on the Charter web site anywhere, in order to get a firmware file and dump the header for you.

Here you go, a hex dump of the top of the latest Charter firmware file.

The actual Charter firmware file, v1.0.0.59CH is available from https://www.myaccount.charter.com/FWupdates/FWDownload.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's the modified DD-WRT 27506 factory-to-ddwrt build, which you should be able to flash on Netgear WNDR3800CH running Charter-branded factory firmware.
Once flashed to DD-WRT, you can further update from the DD-WRT WebGUI to any regular WNDR3800 webflash build (bin file).

Note: It's fixed now, it will flash directly from WebGUI of WNDR3800CH running Charter factory firmware. No need to modify the board ID.
You must be logged in to be able to download the attachment.

Last edited by KrypteX on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:32; edited 7 times in total
KeithB
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kryptex, thank you very much Very Happy for the quick response. Unfortunately the WNDR3800CH rejects Evil or Very Mad the firmware file you provided. I think I'll need to spoof the Charter HTTP server and use the web update function to load a new firmware.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
KeithB wrote:
Kryptex, thank you very much Very Happy for the quick response. Unfortunately the WNDR3800CH rejects Evil or Very Mad the firmware file you provided.

Are you getting this kind of error ? https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=49390
You may need to flash back to an older Netgear/Charter factory firmware, if you find one. Some newer versions do not allow for 3rd party firmwares such as DD-WRT.

Which factory firmware version do you have now ? Can you find an older one, maybe the first ever version released by Netgear/Charter ?

Are you using Firefox with cache cleared ?

You might also try to TFTP the modified DD-WRT build 27506 that I provided.

If you want, I can also mod an older, small-size build 22118, that worked on a WNDRMAC (Mac version of WNDR3700).

Another solution: flash OpenWrt and then DD-WRT. Here's latest OpenWrt build for the WNDR3800CH, try if you can flash the Chaos Calmer 15.5 factory-to-openwrt file: https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/

Might also want to read this: https://technosociofile.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/review-flash-netgear-wndr-3800ch-router-with-toronto-cerowrt-3-10-50-1/

Edit: File fixed, see http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=983666#983666

Last edited by KrypteX on Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:43; edited 1 time in total
KeithB
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
Are you getting this kind of error ? https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=49390

Yes, it responds with "Firmware upgrade failed. Please check your file."

KrypteX wrote:
You may need to flash back to an older Netgear/Charter factory firmware, if you find one. Some newer versions do not allow for 3rd party firmwares such as DD-WRT.

Correct. I downloaded the 1.0.0.16 version from Netgear, but this file is also rejected.

KrypteX wrote:
Which factory firmware version do you have now ? Can you find an older one, maybe the first ever version released by Netgear/Charter ?

Currently on 1.0.0.57CH from Charter. Sad

KrypteX wrote:
Are you using Firefox with cache cleared ?

Yes.

KrypteX wrote:

You might also try to TFTP the modified DD-WRT build 27506 that I provided.

I've got the router disassembled right now, attempting to gain a serial console. Will report back after establishing a connection.

KrypteX wrote:
If you want, I can also mod an older, small-size build 22118, that worked on a WNDRMAC (Mac version of WNDR3700).

Another solution: flash OpenWrt and then DD-WRT. Here's latest OpenWrt build for the WNDR3800CH, try if you can flash the Chaos Calmer 15.5 factory-to-openwrt file: https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/

Thanks, I'll give that a try, as well.

KrypteX wrote:
Might also want to read this: https://technosociofile.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/review-flash-netgear-wndr-3800ch-router-with-toronto-cerowrt-3-10-50-1/

Thanks again!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you provide a photo of the label on the back of the router ? I think there are 2 versions of the WNDR3800CH, one with firmware v1.x and the other v2.x

If you manage to flash OpenWrt, then stop there and tell me. A good idea would be to then TFTP back to a WNDR3800 factory firmware (1.0.0.16) and then flash the regular DD-WRT factory-to-ddwrt for WNDR3800 from there.

KeithB
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
Can you provide a photo of the label on the back of the router ? I think there are 2 versions of the WNDR3800CH, one with firmware v1.x and the other v2.x

I'm at work with the PCB, and the case/shell is at home. I'll get pictures from it after work, today.

KrypteX wrote:
If you manage to flash OpenWrt, then stop there and tell me. A good idea would be to then TFTP back to a WNDR3800 factory firmware (1.0.0.16) and then flash the regular DD-WRT factory-to-ddwrt for WNDR3800 from there.

Loaded the CeroWRT firmware successfully, and it booted. Stopped the U-Boot console and used the command board_model_id_set WNDR3800 to set the NVRAM model ID to WNDR3800 (no CH, no NA). Now I need to get it back to Netgear v1.0.0.16.

After rebooting into the CeroWRT firmware, resetting the model ID, put the router into TFTP mode, and successfully loaded v1.0.0.16 of the Netgear firmware. It's completing the burn-in right now...

It booted v1.0.0.16 successfully. Now attempting to web load the appropriate DD-WRT image.

Last edited by KeithB on Tue Sep 15, 2015 17:43; edited 2 times in total
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: