DD-WRT Performance Problems with WZR-HP-AG300H

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
edkoch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 23:41    Post subject: DD-WRT Performance Problems with WZR-HP-AG300H Reply with quote
I'm having DD-WRT performance problems with WZR-HP-AG300H. In short, when I'm directly connected to the internet from my PC I'm getting 350mb/s and when running through the WZR I'm only getting 249 max.

I've tried upgrading to the latest beta firmware 09-11-2015-r27805, but it breaks my wireless configuration (found out that this is a known issue). I back dated through TFTP to 06-22-2015-r27413 and things are stable again, but problem still exists.

Is anyone else running into such a large decrease in performance? )I can let 30 or 40 go (crazy right...used to be my max speed), but losing over 100 seems to be a little excessive.

Are there any settings I should be turning on/off? Q0S is off.
Sponsor
Jack82
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:17    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT Performance Problems with WZR-HP-AG300H Reply with quote
edkoch wrote:
I'm having DD-WRT performance problems with WZR-HP-AG300H. In short, when I'm directly connected to the internet from my PC I'm getting 350mb/s and when running through the WZR I'm only getting 249 max.

That's about the max DD-WRT can do on that router. It's because DD-WRT uses software for NAT translations. Stock firmwares sometimes use hardware NAT, significantly faster.
edkoch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 16:05    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote
Thanks Jack, I was afraid of that.

Sounds like I need to upgrade then. What's considered the best AC/DD-WRT compatible router for the money right now?

FYI, for those of you who have an AG300H - I flashed backed to Buffalo's 1.78 stock firmware and did not see a performance improvement.
Jack82
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
AFAIK, Buffalo's firmware is based on DD-WRT, so it's still running software NAT only.

I would give the R7000 or RT-AC68U a try.
edkoch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again Jack, makes sense as the Buffalo firmware made little to no difference.

The R7000 and AC68U are a little pricy for me right now, so may need to wait a bit.
onix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 16:55    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT Performance Problems with WZR-HP-AG300H Reply with quote
Jack82 wrote:
edkoch wrote:

That's about the max DD-WRT can do on that router. It's because DD-WRT uses software for NAT translations. Stock firmwares sometimes use hardware NAT, significantly faster.

This doesn't make sense. Why would the CPU have to constantly check the NAT if my single computer was downloading one big file from a single source, say microsoft.com?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I doesn't "check" NAT, it constantly uses it. The external WAN side and the internal LAN side are two different networks. CPU does NAT between them continuously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: