R7000 vs RT-AC87U

vigilian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 16:37    Post subject: R7000 vs RT-AC87U Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I wanted to know if the RT-AC87U were more supported than the R7000. I've understood that the R7000 were NAT copyrighted coded by netgear so it gives a penalty to this router when third firmware installed like explained here http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DD-WRT_on_R7000 .
Is there a similar problem with RT-AC87U? OR maybe there a lot of known problems with both routers at this moment?

By the way, I don't understand between the two declaration of bandwith from the wiki http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DD-WRT_on_R7000 and from smallnetbuilders
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view ?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are comparing two different routers.

The Netgear R7000 is comparable to the Asus RT-ac68u
While the Netgear R8000 is the same hardware as Asus RT-87U.

The last ones have an extra dual core processor dedicated to handle the 5Ghz wifi.
vigilian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mmmmmh I didn't know that since R7000 is still the best router from the test in smallnetbuilder, at least on the most essential point of a router which is the bandwith that a router can manage (even if I agree the point about wifi become important also but as I see, a lot of people don't trust the wifi yet and so they have a cable connection in their house-appartment).

So okey the two routers are not as equivalent as I thought even if they have the same freq of CPU inside.
But still my questions remains:
- why so much difference between the two test: the one in the wiki here and the one from smallnetbuilders? which one is more accurate? and therefor how is the speed on the rt-ac87U
- and which have the more problems? as I stated that netgear have copyrighted their code for the NAT, is this the same problem for asus ?
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hardware NAT isn't supported in 3rd party firmware. Because of this, NAT is performed by the CPU, meaning it takes a hit on performance. Its an issue for any router with hardware NAT, not just Netgear.
JohnDj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am interested in these two routers too.

I need a full supported high performance dd-wrt device. Wlan range and vpn client performance should be great.

So which device should i prefer?

Thanks
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the vpn traffic there will not be any difference between them. Only for clients connected with the 5Ghz wifi, the RT-ac87u will have an advantage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: