R8000 development

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
neveroddoreven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure I can do all that and can handle the technical aspects. But before I start, I'd like to hear from kong on whether it's even an effort worth undertaking.
Sponsor
limerick_fr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

I don't know much about Linux and all that stuff but few years ago I managed to flash a Linksys WRT54GL to DD-WRT.

Now I have a brand new R8000 and with the stock firmware, I miss the possibility to set scheduled access to the internet for different devices.

So I wish to also flash this R8000 to DD-WRT.

Then, here are few questions :
1- Will Kong's firmware allow me to setup scheduled access to the internet for each connected device?
2- Where can I found his latest firmware (desipro.de?)
3- Is there a place where to find a step by step procedure to perform a successful flash of the firmware consistent with this router?

Thank you for your help,

Lim.

EDIT:
Sorry, disregard questions 1 (answer is YES) and 3 (I think I found a good one).
Regarding question 2, I am not sure of the place and wonder which build to choose (the most stable one for me as I am a newbie... Embarassed )
Ah-Pin-Kor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
limerick_fr wrote:

Kong's firmware are here:
http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/
the chk and bin are there.

Netgear R7800 kongpro 19.07 20190919 || Netgear R7000 36070M kongac (Client Bridge=5GHz, AP=2.4GHz with bridged VAP)
Linksys WRT32X davidc502 OpenWrt || Linksys WRT1200ACv1 Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 dd-wrt 39956
Paint
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
limerick_fr wrote:
Hi all,

I don't know much about Linux and all that stuff but few years ago I managed to flash a Linksys WRT54GL to DD-WRT.

Now I have a brand new R8000 and with the stock firmware, I miss the possibility to set scheduled access to the internet for different devices.

1- Will Kong's firmware allow me to setup scheduled access to the internet for each connected device?
3- Is there a place where to find a step by step procedure to perform a successful flash of the firmware consistent with this router?

Thank you for your help,

Lim.

EDIT:
Sorry, disregard questions 1 (answer is YES) and 3 (I think I found a good one).
Regarding question 2, I am not sure of the place and wonder which build to choose (the most stable one for me as I am a newbie... Embarassed )

1. DDWRT, including Kong's builds, has Access Controls where you can allow and deny internet, protocols, or URLs at certain hours of the day by IP address, MAC Address, or IP Range.
andyf1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:07    Post subject: Wifi stability Reply with quote
Hi all. Im new to dd-wrt and have been trying to pick out the relevant information but Im a bit confused.

I have an R8000 and I tried installing Kongs latest build, however Wifi performance was really bad, and some devices couldn't even connect to some of the configured APNs, for no obvious reason.

I've seen various comments regarding wifi issues and am looking for some clarification:

Should the Kong build, if configured correctly, be able to give me the same wifi performance as the stock firmware?

Can I give both 5GHz radios the same SSID as in the stock firmware, or does this cause performance issues?

Is there a definitive guide to setting up wifi on the R8000. I've seen a guide mentioned for the R7000 but Im not sure how applicable that is?

Thanks in advance.

Andy.
limerick_fr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Ah-Pin-Kor and Paint for your kind help.

Okay now I am running Kong 27775M firmware.
But I thought several times that my R8000 was bricked after I did the upgrade.

Indeed, after the .chk update I did with no problem, the .bin update stopped immediately and no way to do anything (back to .chk or to stock) until I use Edge instead of Firefox.

In fact I think there is a problem with the autologin feature of Firefox (v41).
For example, it was not even possible to set up a PPPoE configuration.
As for other configuration page, I always had a "Reset Page", which prevent me to do anything until I reset the router.

Anyhow, so far, router seems to run ok. At least, I manage to use the internet through WiFi.

Thanks to Kong and to all this helpful community.

Lim.
x5Liam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys, I flashed the latest ddwrt by kong from sept 7th into my R8000 but I'm having some WAN issues. I'm trying to connect to an AP on Client mode and then bridge it to the LAN ports. It shows that it connects but it doesn't give the WAN its IP address so it can connect to the internet. I've tried putting it on Repeater Bridge mode aswell which is what my EA6900 is set to, but it disables the WAN completely. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.
Kabantik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:31    Post subject: v3.0-r27775M Reply with quote
Hey all,

Just reporting in with my R8000 and the latest Kong build:

Had some free time so I thought I'd check up on the R8000 development, have been running the std 27261 and the previous Kong Mod 26365M without too many issues.

Anyways, I updated my R8000 to the 07/09 Kong build 27775M tonight and I have had some little issues come up. Most notable: the router seems to have completely dropped wl2, wl0 does not list 5.0 capability but is active, does not support N/AC, wl1 is 2.4 and functions fine although doesn't show up when making some rudimentary shell commands. Haven't had a chance to check higher level functions such as IP6, vlan, VPN, FS but it appears like the basics function flawlessly.

Installation went smooth, I did a wipe, install, wipe with the .chk firm from "MOR".com

I'm going to flash the stock firmware and try the firmware I got from MOR first, if it's not resolved I'll go to Kong's site and try both the chk and binaries and see if that doesn't resolve it. If none of those work I'll restore 27775.

Let me know what kind of commands to run in the future for diagnosing which cards are running and all that fun stuff, I have very limited knowledge of how to use command lines. Thanks
neveroddoreven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I opened up my R7900 from Costco and it's exactly the same PCB version U12H315T20/810726/GP REV.1 as the R8000. The USB 2.0 connector and related support circuitry is not attached to the board. I did not remove the heatsinks and metal caps from the processor side of the board, as I prefer my router to remain useful.

Supposedly the only other difference in the R7900 besides that missing USB2.0 port is the missing QAM256 feature in the 2.4GHz radio, meaning 450Mbps instead of 600Mbps for that radio. Would such a difference be critical in loading the R8000 firmware onto the R7900, or indicate that a different chipset was used? Typically disabled stuff like that is still the same processor inside, that's been handicapped at the factory to keep from paying a license fee for the lower-tier end product it's going into.
Paint
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
neveroddoreven wrote:
I opened up my R7900 from Costco and it's exactly the same PCB version U12H315T20/810726/GP REV.1 as the R8000. The USB 2.0 connector and related support circuitry is not attached to the board. I did not remove the heatsinks and metal caps from the processor side of the board, as I prefer my router to remain useful.

Supposedly the only other difference in the R7900 besides that missing USB2.0 port is the missing QAM256 feature in the 2.4GHz radio, meaning 450Mbps instead of 600Mbps for that radio. Would such a difference be critical in loading the R8000 firmware onto the R7900, or indicate that a different chipset was used? Typically disabled stuff like that is still the same processor inside, that's been handicapped at the factory to keep from paying a license fee for the lower-tier end product it's going into.

I would caution upgrading until Kong confirms the R8000 firmware will work on this device. I think some changes to the firmware would be required to get the R8000 ddwrt firmware to work on the R7900.
neveroddoreven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I hooked up a TTL serial console to my R7900, snooped through the logs, and dumped the mtd0 through mtd8 devices to a USB stick. I also poked around in the CFE.

It has a R8000 CFE v1.0.9 banner on bootup. The only places where I see the string "R7900" is in the router's given name and related printer/media server broadcast names. I've saved off the console logs and partially sanitized them. I am ready to upload them once I finish sanitizing my personal config from the nvram. I also need to find out what's hiding in these symbol and hex blobs and decide if they should be sanitized before uploading:

• the CFE minus/plus/X/S bitfields for RDQSW0, P---W0, N---W0, WRDQW0, ADDR
  • ring_info_raw hex blobs
  • dhd_bus_cmn_writeshared hex blobs
  • gbsd_known_list 7-byte hex blobs
tbgeo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:46    Post subject: Re: v3.0-r27775M Reply with quote
Kabantik wrote:
Hey all,

Had some free time so I thought I'd check up on the R8000 development, have been running the std 27261 and the previous Kong Mod 26365M without too many issues.

Anyways, I updated my R8000 to the 07/09 Kong build 27775M tonight and I have had some little issues come up. Most notable: the router seems to have completely dropped wl2, wl0 does not list 5.0 capability but is active, does not support N/AC, wl1 is 2.4 and functions fine although doesn't show up when making some rudimentary shell commands. Haven't had a chance to check higher level functions such as IP6, vlan, VPN, FS but it appears like the basics function flawlessly.

Installation went smooth, I did a wipe, install, wipe with the .chk firm from "MOR".com

I'm going to flash the stock firmware and try the firmware I got from MOR first, if it's not resolved I'll go to Kong's site and try both the chk and binaries and see if that doesn't resolve it. If none of those work I'll restore 27775.

Let me know what kind of commands to run in the future for diagnosing which cards are running and all that fun stuff, I have very limited knowledge of how to use command lines. Thanks

I really have my heart set on getting a DD-WRT capable router very soon, but this forum is putting my first choice, the R8000, on hold. Is the version for it really that messed up?
Last month I postponed and bought more practical items because the day I said "This is IT" the R8500 came out.
I've got an enormous headache from all the reading, but QUALCOMM, marvell and quantenna are lower down than Broadcom (or so I read)
4x4 reeks (right now)
Tri-band is kind of useless but reviewers praise the range(?)
And I did Not want to spend more than $250.
So that left the R8000.
And then this thread came along, and made life sort of meaningless all over again.
Paint
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 18:10    Post subject: Re: v3.0-r27775M Reply with quote
tbgeo wrote:
Kabantik wrote:
Hey all,

I really have my heart set on getting a DD-WRT capable router very soon, but this forum is putting my first choice, the R8000, on hold. Is the version for it really that messed up?
Last month I postponed and bought more practical items because the day I said "This is IT" the R8500 came out.
I've got an enormous headache from all the reading, but QUALCOMM, marvell and quantenna are lower down than Broadcom (or so I read)
4x4 reeks (right now)
Tri-band is kind of useless but reviewers praise the range(?)
And I did Not want to spend more than $250.
So that left the R8000.
And then this thread came along, and made life sort of meaningless all over again.

The latest, and last few R8000 builds, from Kong run very smoothly on the R8000. If you are worried about cost, just get the R7000, which has been supported by Kong for awhile now.
tomten
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 18:46    Post subject: Re: v3.0-r27775M Reply with quote
Paint wrote:
The latest, and last few R8000 builds, from Kong run very smoothly on the R8000. If you are worried about cost, just get the R7000, which has been supported by Kong for awhile now.
Is there any build for R8000 after 27775? ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/ only has R7000 versions.
Paint
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 19:21    Post subject: Re: v3.0-r27775M Reply with quote
tomten wrote:
Paint wrote:
Is there any build for R8000 after 27775? ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/ only has R7000 versions.

That link is for the Brainslayer Dd-wrt builds. The R8000 is only supported by Kong at the moment.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 28, 29, 30  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 11 of 30
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: