Install ddwrt on a pc

chrismallia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 14:33    Post subject: Install ddwrt on a pc Reply with quote
Hi guys sorry for maybe asking a silly question but I would like to install ddwrt on a pc as a router but I can;t seam to understand where to download the pc version and how to install it, I would like to try it out and if I am pleased with it I will buy the full version, any help or instructions? thanks very much guys
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
wiki: x86
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 15:23    Post subject: Installing to a computer Reply with quote
You will need at least a Pentium II or better or AMD k6 300MHz or faster. 64mb ram at min or 128mb or more.

A video card if you do not have onboard graphics. Any PCI/AGP/ cards will work.

You will need a hard drive 2gb drive or more will do. Or Compact Flash with IDE controller will do if you want a silent system. The card should 512mb or more.

A old SATA drive will work too if your system supports SATA. The smallest SATA drive will be around 60GB or so and its a overkill with anything over 6GB.

You will need a computer with Windows to write out the image file using physdiskwrite with PhysGUI here.
You can use Linux with the terminal but I am a Linux noob.

And TWO or THREE network cards. The 3rd one can be used as DMZ option if needed.

IF you want to hook up more than 1 computer to DD_WRT computer you will need a 5 Port or 8 Port switch. I highly recommend you buy gigabit capable cards and switch for best speed possible. The TP_link 5 port switch is perfect and cheap for around $20 or an $30 ASUS 8 port gigabit Switch is great too.

You will need a computer with Windows to write out the image file using physdiskwrite with PhysGUI here.

http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads/physdiskwrite-0.5.3-PhysGUI-bundle.zip

Download the DD_WRT x86 image here ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/06-23-2014-r24461/x86/ get the dd-wrt_public_Vga.image

Have your drive connected and seen in windows and delete any partitions on it. Then open PhsyGUI and select the drive then this image and click on unlock the 2GB write protection. MAKE SURE YOUR NOT SELECTING YOUR SYSTEM DRIVES OR YOU LOSE DATA. Then click write. This process takes about 5 Seconds.

Your DD_WRT DRIVE is ready for use. Just assemble your computer and boot the hard drive that has DD-WRT.

If your computer has onboard networking it will be the WAN port which you plug into your Cable or DSL modem.

Then going down to the PCI cards would be LAN which you connect a crossover cable to 1 computer or to an 5 or 8 port SWITCH with a patch straight through cable. Then you can access DD-WRT GUI at 192.168.1.1 with admin admin for user name and password on your computer running a browser.

If you do not have onboard networking or its disabled the card that is closer the CPU is WAN then goes LAN and DMZ if you have a 3rd card installed.
keith_howard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 16:39    Post subject: wi-fi on X86 / X86-64 Reply with quote
I have an old GX620 that I want to make as an access point.
any tutorials to help with this?
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 0:42    Post subject: Re: wi-fi on X86 / X86-64 Reply with quote
keith_howard wrote:
I have an old GX620 that I want to make as an access point.
any tutorials to help with this?

Do you mean a Wifi access point? Or a router between the modem and your network?
sukabla
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 14:19    Post subject: Re: Install ddwrt on a pc Reply with quote
Hi guys sorry for maybe asking a silly question but I would like to install ddwrt on a pc as a router but I can;t seam to understand where to download the pc version and how to install it, I would like to try it out and if I am pleased with it I will buy the full version, any help or instructions? thanks very much guys
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:29    Post subject: Installing DD-WRT to PC Reply with quote
Did you ever figure this out or still need some help?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: