Poor wiki guide - how to update DD-WRT on FON?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Xenomorph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 0:04    Post subject: Poor wiki guide - how to update DD-WRT on FON? Reply with quote
The Wiki says "Connect the Fonera by cable to your router or PC, access the Fonera's web config and follow the below guide."

Um, what?

The cable connection to the FON is the WAN line. How do you access the DD-WRT configuration page over the WAN connection?

I'd think DD-WRT would disable allowing anyone coming in on the WAN connection and messing with settings.

Is there something you can disable on the FON router (via WiFi) to allow someone to come in on the WAN connection to re-configure things and update the firmware?
Sponsor
Low-WRT
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
...have you tried it?
Xenomorph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Low-WRT wrote:
...have you tried it?

Yes. DD-WRT (as does every other firmware I've used) blocks the web admin access from the WAN port (ie, the cable).

It looks like the only option is to flash via WiFi, which isn't recommended.

The only Wiki for this is several months old and doesn't mention how to do this (access the web interface via WAN interface).
rt_rex
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xenomorph wrote:
Low-WRT wrote:
...have you tried it?

Yes. DD-WRT (as does every other firmware I've used) blocks the web admin access from the WAN port (ie, the cable).

It looks like the only option is to flash via WiFi, which isn't recommended.

The only Wiki for this is several months old and doesn't mention how to do this (access the web interface via WAN interface).

usualy the webif from the wan responds on port 8080

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
rt_rex wrote:

usualy the webif from the wan responds on port 8080

yeah, well that didnt work.

what option do i have to set in the DD-WRT configuration to allow administration through the WAN interface?
Low-WRT
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I upgrade the firmware on my f0n, I first reset the router using the button on the bottom. When at factory defaults, you should be able to access the gui through a cable.
Xenomorph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Low-WRT wrote:
When I upgrade the firmware on my f0n, I first reset the router using the button on the bottom. When at factory defaults, you should be able to access the gui through a cable.

At factory defaults, DD-WRT on the FON has an internal IP, but is set to get its IP on the WAN side via DHCP.

what IP did you connect to over the WAN connection??
wikking
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
the router is always reachable on its fallback ip --> 169.254.255.1
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've upgraded my FON's several times using the tutorial linked here. There are times, under DD-WRT, when the FON WAN port becomes a LAN port. Client Bridged is one of those times. Perhaps this also occurs during the upgrade process. How, I dunno....it's just a thought. I've had no problems at all upgrading firmware using the WAN (LAN) port. The key to the GUI upgrade is to wait the full 8 minutes as instructed in the tutorial. Failure to do so will have you back at the serial console starting from scratch!! Good luck!!
Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
Xenomorph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
wikking wrote:
the router is always reachable on its fallback ip --> 169.254.255.1

i may try this tonight.

i ended up flashing it over WiFi - because at default settings, the WAN/ethernet port defaults to DHCP/NO ip.

when i had the FON connected to my router, and an IP was assigned to the WAN/ethernet port, i still could NOT connect to it via it's WAN port.

isn't it a security issue anyway to allow any random connection on the WAN port to view the router status page? someone could sit there and guess passwords.

i've never used a firmware that allowed incoming WAN administration access by default, which explained why i couldnt connect to the FON running DD-WRT.

but seeing no real guides on using DD-WRT on the FON, other than "reset the settings to default", it makes it seem like no one has actually bothered working with or updating DD-WRT on the FON.
Xenomorph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
anectine17 wrote:
I've upgraded my FON's several times using the tutorial linked here. There are times, under DD-WRT, when the FON WAN port becomes a LAN port. Client Bridged is one of those times. Perhaps this also occurs during the upgrade process. How, I dunno....it's just a thought. I've had no problems at all upgrading firmware using the WAN (LAN) port. The key to the GUI upgrade is to wait the full 8 minutes as instructed in the tutorial. Failure to do so will have you back at the serial console starting from scratch!! Good luck!!

i'm sorry, but that guide is very incomplete. it doesnt list any connection information.

to the poster who said "169.254.255.1" is the IP. what subnet? its not a /8, /16, or /24 subnet. i tried all those.

again, i'd think by default DD-WRT would not let random, anonymous people connect to the management interface from the Internet side (it opens it up to brute force attacks, password guesing, etc)- as all instructions i've received claimed it does.

seriously, is there no one out there that has gone from DD-WRT to DD-WRT on the FON?

what guides? what IPs? what settings?

replying to me and pointing me in a direction of a guide that lists no connection information does not help me connect.

the router has DD-WRT on it. it functions. i can access it via the LAN side. which is Wireless ONLY.

edit:

here is how i connected.

- set a static IP on the router.
- disabled "SPI Firewall" as it prevents someone from connecting via WAN.

DD-WRT defaults to SPI on, which prevents someone from connecting via WAN.
Low-WRT
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xenomorph wrote:
anectine17 wrote:

i'm sorry, but that guide is very incomplete. it doesnt list any connection information.

to the poster who said "169.254.255.1" is the IP. what subnet? its not a /8, /16, or /24 subnet. i tried all those.

again, i'd think by default DD-WRT would not let random, anonymous people connect to the management interface from the Internet side (it opens it up to brute force attacks, password guesing, etc)- as all instructions i've received claimed it does.

seriously, is there no one out there that has gone from DD-WRT to DD-WRT on the FON?

what guides? what IPs? what settings?

replying to me and pointing me in a direction of a guide that lists no connection information does not help me connect.

the router has DD-WRT on it. it functions. i can access it via the LAN side. which is Wireless ONLY.

edit:

here is how i connected.

- set a static IP on the router.
- disabled "SPI Firewall" as it prevents someone from connecting via WAN.

DD-WRT defaults to SPI on, which prevents someone from connecting via WAN.

I just upgraded to 8/03...
I plugged in the cable to my pc and the f0n
Under TCP/IP:
IP: 169.254.255.2
Sub: 255.255.0.0
DG: 169.254.255.1
Preferred DNS: 169.254.255.1

Went to web browser typed: 192.168.1.1

Voila!

Last edited by Low-WRT on Fri Aug 03, 2007 23:23; edited 1 time in total
tuxland
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 22:56    Post subject: easy guide Reply with quote
connect your fonera and your computer you use for update to your other router (don't remove it during this guide)
all ip's are default or from my network

connect via wireless http://192.168.1.1
check your wan ip (my 192.168.0.101)

connect via cable your wan ip port 8080 (my http://192.168.0.101:8080)

Administration - Firmware Update - Select File - UPGRADE

wait until restart and be happy
CyClore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hav tried doing the web update and it ALWAYS reverts back to the original sodtware on put on my fon 2100. I just started playing around with this about 2 weeks ago. Before I realized the stable was newer than the beta, I loaded the beta. Now, even using the web upgrade feature via the web, it still reverts back to the other software release...

Any helpful ideas?
zbarnes
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try flashing via the method found at http://uselesshacks.com/?p=23
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: