WAP54G success stories?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
0ldman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 16:47    Post subject: WAP54G success stories? Reply with quote
Just kind of looking for info, who has successfully flashed any version of DD-WRT on any version of WAP54G?
What version of DD-WRT and what version WAP54G?

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm interesting too. Is someone test a micro(2MB) version on WAP54G 1 & 2 ?

DD-WRT is simple the best! Cool
HWS
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Link to old forum:

DD-wrt Micro is Running on a WAP54G V1

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
From that thread, it was mentioned using the web interface to load in DD-WRT mini into the WAP54G. I just wander how this is done. The stock fw is in .trx but DD-WRT is in .bin. How would the web interface allow .bin be loaded in?
0ldman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea, there were at least two similar posts on the old forum, thats why I asked. I've tried it myself and had no luck. Used 3.04, 3.08, older versions, always says "cannot downgrade" blah blah blah.

I've run into this recently with HyperWAP and other official Linksys firmware, and for those, flash 3.08, then you can flash the others. Didnn't work with DD-WRT.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
bin = trx. you just need to rename the generic binary
KK
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
That sounds simple enough. Will give it a try with my WAP54G V2 and report back.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
yep and if it wont work. install openwrt and send me a nvram show output. then we will make this possible soon. ah and please do not use the latest micro edition. it seems to big for 2 mb flash
KK
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tested on my WAP54G V2 without problem. Here was the exact steps I did:
1) Setup my PC with static IP 192.168.1.5 and connect direct to the WAP54G.
2) Rename DD-WRT V23 SP1 micro genric version from .bin to .trx
3) Reset WAP54G to factory default, power off for about 5 sec and power on again. The default IP is now 192.168.1.245
4) Using web GUI going into 192.168.1.245 and go to the Administration. Load in dd-wrt[1].v23_micro_generic.trx and click upgrade.
5) After successful upgrade, it will be all DD-WRT now, IP 192.168.1.1, username root, password admin.

Since the WAP54G only have 1 port, I think this port is a LAN port. I didn't need to put the WAN port at the VLAN config page to VLAN0 and I don't need to assign WAN port to switch at the Basic Setup page but I am still able to do the normal web GUI in DD-WRT.
0ldman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried it on my WAP54G V2 from wireless (LAN port is dead) and I can't get back into it.

I may try a serial cable, no big deal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried it on my other WAP54G v2, LAN works fine for the first ten minutes, wireless does nothing. I've lost access to the WAP54G now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
yep and if it wont work. install openwrt and send me a nvram show output. then we will make this possible soon. ah and please do not use the latest micro edition. it seems to big for 2 mb flash

I don't know Linux and I am also not a programmer. I can telnet in and do some show command, and that's about all that I can do. I open a DOS window in Windows XP and I also used the HyperTerminal. The nvram show output went out of the screen buffer that the early part were truncated. I don't know how to pipe the output to a file outside my WAP54G. Assumning if I can have a nvram output in a file, how do I attach a file in this forum posting? I don't want to post the long list in the forum posting.

Oldman wrote:
Tried it on my other WAP54G v2, LAN works fine for the first ten minutes, wireless does nothing. I've lost access to the WAP54G now.

I must confess that I did not test the wireless earlier. After reading your problem with wireless, I tested out the wireless and you were right. Wireless don't work. Site Survey also return nothing, where my wireless PC can see more than 10 AP around my apartment block. However, I have no problem with LAN, even running for hours. I support you can always flash back the stock fireware if you want to get out of the problem with DD-WRT on WAP54G.
KK
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just flashed my WAP54G V2 back to the Linksys stock fw 2.08 to confirm that it was not the wireless that was broke.

At first I tried to press the reset button to reset it back to default values but the reset button was not working. So I went to DD-WRT Wed GUI Factory Defaults to restore the factory defaults. At this point, I noticed the MAC was 00:90:4C:60:04:00, which is not the MAC of my WAP54G but I was not sure whether this was just changed or was changed during the time when I first flashed with DD-WRT.

Renamed the stock fw 2.08 from .trx to .bin so that DD-WRT can load it in for flashing. Click on the Upgrade button amd I am now back to Linksys firmware 2.08. Wireless is working again.

Another observation I had was the Act Led light was off most of the time in DD-WRT. Once a while it lighted up when I was doing configuration and the page took some time to refresh. In the stock fw, the Act light was on all the time. I suppose the wireless is working now in the stock fw so there are activity now on broadcasting and listening to wireless clients.

So far I observed 4 "problems" with DD-WRT V23 SP1 on WAP54G V2:
1) Wireless don't work
2) Reset Button don't work.
3) MAC address changed
4) Act Led light not lighted up and hardly blink.
0ldman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Both of mine were spotty to begin with, lightening got both of them, but not the the point of failure, just to the point of instabitily for the purpose.

1 I can't access at all over ethernet, the other I have to play with the ethernet with a crossover, and I've got a 50/50 chance. After about 10 minutes running DD-WRT, it hung and the reset button has no effect.

I just might send one of my good WAP's to Brainslayer, depending on how bad customs/German taxes, etc, effect the shipment.

If we can get it working on a WAP54G it'd be awesome. Linksys doesn't seem to follow the same path of changes with the WAP54G that they do with the WRT54G. Less flash and RAM, but DD-WRT would open more possibilities with this AP.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
0ldman wrote:
Both of mine were spotty to begin with, lightening got both of them, but not the the point of failure, just to the point of instabitily for the purpose.

1 I can't access at all over ethernet, the other I have to play with the ethernet with a crossover, and I've got a 50/50 chance. After about 10 minutes running DD-WRT, it hung and the reset button has no effect.

I just might send one of my good WAP's to Brainslayer, depending on how bad customs/German taxes, etc, effect the shipment.

If we can get it working on a WAP54G it'd be awesome. Linksys doesn't seem to follow the same path of changes with the WAP54G that they do with the WRT54G. Less flash and RAM, but DD-WRT would open more possibilities with this AP.

It will be great.

So sad for that wireless is not working. Crying or Very sad
If only WAP54G can had statistic and wireless options like WRT54G that will be great !
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 14
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: