How to prevent monopolizing bandwidth with dd-wrt23SP2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
framerelay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 0:25    Post subject: How to prevent monopolizing bandwidth with dd-wrt23SP2 Reply with quote
Hi 2all!

I still from Ukraine and my English not so fine Rolling Eyes

My small network connected to internet via Linksys device with dd-wrt 23SP2 firmware. It's all right, but as for me I found small problem...

I set up QoS property, set UP and Down limits and service priority. All work fine, while all clients in my network browsing web pages or download in one thread… Situation change while one or more clients make attempt to download some files from WEB using for this special download utility, such as Download Master, ReGet or FlashGet. This utility generates many threads for downloading one file. If one client attempt to download 3-4 files simultaneously, at this time other clients wait for ending downloads… But web browsing or read email in this case become practically not possible for another user, because first client “occupy” all my Internet bandwidth…

I change FW, running on old DD-WRT and other FW, even use original FW. Set up him, read about QoS forum threads, but my problem not solved yet…

How resolve this problem I don’t know, because I beginner in this questions…
Sponsor
framerelay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any suggestions?
wayland
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a tricky problem thats not easy to solve. One of the things we found is that the WRT54G could not cope with the load and so it's web interface went too slow. One way to help this is to increase the CPU clock from 200MHz to 216MHz, this seems to be just enough to make a big difference.

Another thing is to reduce TCP timeout TCP and UDP timeout from 3600 down to 600, this means dead port connections are dropped sooner helping with memory requirements. Lots of these port connections are opened by download and P2P software, you can also increase the available number from 512 to say 1024. This combination means that it's less likely to have run out of ports when you need to web surf.

We have found that simply QoS traffic shaping without doing this makes things worse for the people on that WRT54G.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Overclocking not solve this problem. I set up CPU clock to 216 Mhz, increase available ports number and decrease TCP/UDP timeouts. It still work fasters, but main problem not solved yet Sad

Single traffic threads from one or more clients, such as Web surf, POP or SMTP gone shape without any reason in comparison with “high density” TCP/UDP requests from any other clients/ports…, such as multi threads download….

Its normal for this device, or simply my advice not enough to solve this problem? As for me and my small network this is vital issue… Rolling Eyes
wayland
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you get your clients to tune down their traffic, you know, set the connection speed to something less that maximum?
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could donate to BS, buy the special version:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#Special_Versions

From link above:

Currently brainslayer offers a special version of DD-WRT with extended QoS capabilities:

set maximum bandwidth available per netmask/MAC address
set a default rule for any unconfigured netmask/MAC address
framerelay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Problem particularly solved. For this means I download and flash Tomato FW with advanced QoS settings.
Maybe QoS in Tomato FW = QoS in DD-WRT FW. But as for me, in Tomato edit/set rules for QoS more easy and flexibly for “untrained” users.
Luciano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try this and let me know if it worked for you:

http://www.hyperwrt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2002&p=1
metala
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah , if you don't know iptables/netfilter and tc. I recommend you to use Tomato. There is an very good QOS setup. But changing to tomato comes with losing some good features features.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F
You'll lose most of the things excluding samba client, and upnpd, ssh, https.

About the Script generator .. it will help only for limiting traffic per user, not QOS.

Linksys WRT54GL v1.1: Tomato 1.11
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54: DD-WRT v23 SP2
Luciano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well in this moment my WRT54GL with dd-wrt v23 SP3 generic from 07-02-0 it is bricked after I put in startup that generated scripts from v 1.00. Thx a lot.

Power led flashes, and LAN are ON.... but no LAN detected, no answer to ping even after shorted pin 15&16.

I can unsolder flash chip and reprogram in external programmer but looks like I can't find a good dump from a flash router.... Sad Sad Sad

Any sugestion how to fix ?
I think NVRAM data it is fu..ed.
framerelay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Luciano wrote:
Try this and let me know if it worked for you:
http://www.hyperwrt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2002&p=1

Good links, thanks… It's work for me.

Finaly I flash back Wink DD-WRT FW, because in Tomato FW shaper script, which generated by ScriptGenerator program, not work. Why, I don’t know…. I put him as Startup script, as Firewall script – nothing….

In DD-WRT I put this generated script in Firewall, then I turn off imbedded QoS, and my issues finally solved! Very Happy Uff Shocked

Thank for All! I happy, dd-wrt rulez Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: