TFTP flashed but NOTHING

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
djhovis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:13    Post subject: TFTP flashed but NOTHING Reply with quote
Hey ppl.

I have a wrt54gs v1.1 which is the biggest pain I have had in a while Smile

The device does not work. I have managed to tftp across "dd-wrt.v24_wrt54gs.bin" and was successful at that.

But, the power led still keeps blinking! I have cleared the nvram (via jtag). Power cycled the damn thing but nothing!

Please can someone help or atleast tell me the procedure after the tftp flash?

Many Thanks, Ryan.
Sponsor
DDWRTnubee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the same router and same problem. You may need to flash back your linksys software from linksys site. Then make sure you flash back the micro version of ddwrt. Standard is too big. It worked for me. The main cause of bricking is not following ALL the instructions. I know. There is a wiki on how to do it.
seanhsmith
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 13:52    Post subject: Second That Reply with quote
I'm having the exact same issue. I actually went through TWO Linksys WRT54GS v3 routers last night. Here's how my fiasco happened:

1) Enabled PPTP server on first router to test VPN (which worked fine)
2) Next thing I know, web pages aren't loading
3) Ping the router's IP and I get all of the responses of <1 ms
4) Try loading DD-WRT v23 SP2 from the router in my web browser... nothing
5) Tried pinging router again -- this time NO responses
6) Power cycled the modem to "reset" it and the next thing I know the power light is blinking with all four Ethernet port lights solid green... it never changed from this.

So I pull out the 2nd WRT54GS v3 I had as a backup which already had DD-WRT v23 SP2 on it as well. I plugged the power brick into it WITHOUT any other Ethernet cables connected to it -- the power light blinks for a second then goes solid and the lights for the Ethernet ports disappear. So I unplug the power again and hook up the cable modem and all the Ethernet cables. I plug the power back into the new router and, to my shock and dismay, the power light just keeps blinking and the Ethernet port lights stay solid green.

My question is how the hell is it possible for me to have bricked TWO routers in a span of 10 minutes when all I did was powercycle them? The second router has been sitting in its box not being used for the past 6 months or more since I bought it so there's no reason it should have "burned out" or died. I'm so extremely pissed off and frustrated at this point, I'm not even sure I'll ever be installing the DD-WRT firmware again if it ends up being the cause of these problems.
djhovis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
seanhsmith & DDWRTnubee. I know the frustrations!

I bought this device faulty. Since then I eventually after months got dd-wrt mini running. I got greedy and tried v24. Now I have nothing! lol

Ive now tried flashing the linksys firmware! (jtag) Nothing ie: same as before" Smile

SO I then tried tftping the linksys firmware. That worked, the dmz was then blinking.

So I erased the nvram and it stopped. But still nothing functional other than ping requests!

Am I missing a step after flashing the firmware. I have power cycled it. Anything else?

Thanks, Ryan.
djhovis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update!....

SO Ive tried the linksys firmware without any luck

But I have tried to do a tftp upload many times. But it only works when I have flashed a new kernel.bin (using hairydairymaid v48).

If I erase the kernel and clear the nvram, I still cannot upload a new .bin via tftp?

So this leads me to believe that flashing the kernel is working?!

After it has flashed I power cycle it and leave it on for about 2mins but still it blinks and no webpage!

Note: I have uploaded a new CFE.bin created from the skynet package

Please can someone at least point me in the right direction.
I have read almost everything on wiki and most other pages relating to bricked wrt54g's.

Many Thanks, Ryan.
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't read all the posts.....looks like a lot of "shotgunning" to me. Slow, methodical, one step at a time. I've only found maybe 3 or 4 out of HUNDREDS of WRT's that I couldn't recover with JTAG, and those had physical damage (from PIN SHORTING!!). I'll write a description of the procedure I use and it works virtually every time. The GS 1.1 and GS 3 are AWESOME routers....I've never had a bit of trouble with any of them. Before I write the procedure, I will say that one thing that jumped out at me in the posts, namely the last one, is wait time.....or lack thereof. After tftp'ing the firmware, even if it says it's done, you need to wait.......patiently.....for the router to reboot on its own. I saw where it was power cycled right after tftp then there was a waiting period. The flashing process wasn't done yet. Anyway, not that I'm any expert or anything, but I have recovered hundreds of these, and here's what works for me.

With a bricked router...30 second reset doesn't work, etc.......(all commands are typed with the router powered off, power the router on, count 1 and hit enter). Power off the router > connect JTAG > Make sure the giveio.sys driver is loaded and running > command: wrt48.exe -backup:wholeflash /noemw > repeat for nvram, kernel and cfe > command: wrt48.exe -erase:nvram /noemw > nvram erases pretty quickly > once it's done, power cycle the router > wait for the router to reboot on its own (if it does, you're done!!)> if after 5 minutes it hasn't rebooted, and the power LED is still flashing > command: wrt48.exe -erase:kernel /noemw > kernel erases in about 8-10 seconds > power router off > set the NIC in your PC to a static IP in the range of 192.168.1.x (x = any number between 2 and 9) > (you should be able to ping the router at this point. If you can't, you have other issues) open the Linksys tftp utility > set server address to 192.168.1.1 > set file to your favorite flavor of DD-WRT MINI > leave password blank > set retries to 99 > click upgrade (the utility will try to connect to the router, but will fail...that's OK) > power the router on > watch the LAN icon in the system tray > just as the LAN receives an IP, the utility will upload the firmware .bin file to the router > the key now is to WAIT > wait some more > wait for the router to reboot on its own (this may take several minutes. If after 20 minutes, it hasn't rebooted, you have other issues) > once the router has rebooted, close the tftp utility and do a hard reset (hold the router's reset button for 30 seconds with the router powered on) > open your browser and point it to 192.168.1.1 > log in is now root and admin > from the GUI, upgrade to the final version of DD-WRT > once the router has rebooted from the upgrade, wait > wait 10 minutes before doing anything > after 10 minutes, close the browser and do a hard reset on the router > once it's rebooted from the reset, you're done > IF you were unable to ping the router after clearing the kernel, or if tftp'ing fails, you'll need to flash a new CFE > open the Skynet Repair Kit Bootloader Creator > select your version from the dropdown > enter the MAC from the sticker on the bottom of your router > create CFE and save it directly to your C:\ drive (same location as the wrt48.exe) > clear the router by running, command: wrt48 -erase:wholeflash /noemw > flash the new CFE to the router with, command: wrt48 -flash:cfe /noemw > this will take 10 to 15 minutes > once the new CFE is in, you should be able to ping the router > proceed with the tftp procedure as outlined above. Good luck!!

Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
djhovis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cheers anectine17 for the reply and I know this is a month old. But I have been trying this alot.

Ive got to the point where I was before I can ping but no TFTP.

Done everything you said to every word!

Where am I going wrong?

I know this router will work as Ive had it running dd-wrt mini

Thanks for your help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: