WRT54GS v5 - Many Many Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
falconfox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 23:46    Post subject: WRT54GS v5 - Many Many Questions Reply with quote
Hello,

I just bought a linksys WRT54GS v5 router today. I have already been able to successfully upgrade my firmware by following this guide (http://www.bitsum.com/openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5%5FCFE#h16). I am currently running "dd-wrt.v23_micro_generic.bin".

I know in the downloads section, there are firmwares labeled *WRT54GS.bin . I would like to update mine to the VOIP version instead of the micro version. From this page (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#Special_Versions), it says:
Quote:
dd-wrt.v23_<type>_wrt54gs.bin - tftp versions for WRT54GS. You CAN use this to flash via web interface but do so only AFTER you have done so using the mini version. These versions were just made specifically for TFTPing to those routers.

i am assuming that i can now update my firmware to "dd-wrt.v23_voip_wrt54gs.bin". The only reason i am asking is that i am afraid that "dd-wrt.v23_voip_wrt54gs.bin" is for WRT54GS v1 - v4. Is this correct or can i update to the VOIP version.

Also, if i am unable to update to the voip version, what version do you guys recommend for my router? Am i restricted to the micro version? What is the most powerful firmware i can put on my router?
Sponsor
im_electronic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
you are restricted to the micro version. update to v23 sp3 micro it;s the best you can due to the v5's limited hardware.
falconfox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
damn it. i really wanted to take advantage of the voip functionality. i know my parents are in the market for a wireless router, maybe ill just give this to them.

Any recommendations on new routers? I have found earlier versions on ebay (v1, v1.1, v2, v3, v4). Will v1, v1.1, v2, v3 all work the same once dd-wrt is on them? are these different versions just manufacturing changes?
sufrano63
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
buffalo whr-g54(~$40) or whr-hp-g54(~$60) the HP has a built in amp ad covers more ronge more effectively.
machinist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
The supported devices list claims version 1-6 of that WRT54GS to be working with any type of firmware. Then there is another section of the site that states version 4-6 to only be compatible with the micro build Shocked
Wott
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Everywhere i looked at in the wiki clearly states that v5 and higher are micro only, 2 MB Flash. The WRT54G v5 and v6 have been around for a while and discussed a lot. Get rid of the linksys and pick up a buffalo. The price is the same, its silly to keep buying the linksys stuff, especially now that the v7 is no longer broadcom based and not supported at all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Everywhere except the most vital area then. I do agree that the buffalo is approximately the same price and capable of providing better signal range. I have that WHR-HP-G54 coming in the mail, can't wait!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: